• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD - How To Overclock The Official Way Using Afterburner + Step By Step Overclocking Guide + Comple

Caporegime
OP
Fantastic post. Is it still relevant for my 7950? Or has anything changed since then?

Still relevant.

Is my AMD hd 7970 voltage locked?Can't control voltage,and I tick allow voltage control:confused:
I thought gigabyte,xfx,sapphire... locked voltage control on theirs cards.
Did amd lock their cards as well later in production cycle?
Will I need to flash bios to gain control on voltage?
ta

What brand is it?

Associate

Associate
I've red old review yesterday,can't find it now,but they mentioned in it that card was locked on 1125 and 1575 when it came out,but amd released new bios with voltage control up to 1,3V,and when they used this new bios they were able to reach 1165mhz core and 17000mhz memory.
Bios exist a just need to find out which will be best for this card,maybe ghz edition?
I just need guidance on what to get

Caporegime
OP
I will check that now mate.
I red that ghz bios operates on lower voltage and gives higher clocks

If you could not unlock voltage control then maybe you were using a old version of afterburner. Ghz edition bios operates on higher voltage and higher clocks. Its not worth it though. Just manually overclock yourself and increase voltage as needed.

Associate
Sill now luck:(
I tick allow voltage control,and still can't do it.
I gain extend official oc limits,before I could only set 1125 maks. and 1575.
Am I doing something wrong or this card is voltage locked,and the only way to unlocked it, is to flash bios?

Caporegime
OP
Sill now luck:(
I tick allow voltage control,and still can't do it.
I gain extend official oc limits,before I could only set 1125 maks. and 1575.
Am I doing something wrong or this card is voltage locked,and the only way to unlocked it, is to flash bios?

Show me a screenshot of afterburner and gpu-z plox. You have a reference card so it should not be voltage locked, as far as i can tell anyway.

Caporegime
OP
How bizarre. You can leave unofficial overclocking mode disabled btw. Don't know if that will make any difference. At this stage all i can suggest is to try Trixxx instead.

Associate
How bizarre. You can leave unofficial overclocking mode disabled btw. Don't know if that will make any difference. At this stage all i can suggest is to try Trixxx instead.
Where is the best place to download Trixxx?(without other crappy programs along the way?)
Will do in the evening,now I got other stuff to do.
Cheers for your help Matt;)
Already downloaded Trixxx,and IT'S WORKING!

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah it's a pity.
I'm totally new to Trixx,can I display temps,clocks,during gaming(left to corner) or I need download other program to monitor that?
Trixxx only control core voltage?,what about memory voltage?

Caporegime
OP
Yeah it's a pity.
I'm totally new to Trixx,can I display temps,clocks,during gaming(left to corner) or I need download other program to monitor that?
Trixxx only control core voltage?,what about memory voltage?

Trixxx can't display OSD, you'll need to use afterburner for that. Not sure about the memory voltage on trixxx, should be able to if you can scroll down. Very little to be gained from the memory though.

Associate
So trixxx and msi afertburner working alongside together,won't cos any interference?
My values in trixxx for vddc 1,2V - gpu-z=1,156V
1,212V - 1,184V
Is that normal? As far as I now 1,25V is safe for this card,but I won't achieve this voltage cos trixx got maks. vddc to 1,3V but gpu-z readings are much smaller?

What is the best stability test for OC?
I'm running sleeping dogs on highest possible setting (1920x1200)?

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
So trixxx and msi afertburner working alongside together,won't cos any interference?
My values in trixxx for vddc 1,2V - gpu-z=1,156V
1,212V - 1,184V
Is that normal? As far as I now 1,25V is safe for this card,but I won't achieve this voltage cos trixx got maks. vddc to 1,3V but gpu-z readings are much smaller?

What is the best stability test for OC?
I'm running sleeping dogs on highest possible setting (1920x1200)?

Won't do so long as you don't touch clocks/fan speeds in afterburner. Yes thats normal, its vdroop. On reference cooling id stick to 1.2v or lower. :)

Back
Top Bottom