• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD IQ Vs Nvidia IQ - shenanigans or something else?

Caporegime
I cba getting involved in this as it is likely a problem with the PC/settings or something else and the only way to be sure is to upload full size screenshots from each one in a variety of games.

However, I love how people say that youtube compression etc. is to blame:

- they are both recorded on the same software/capture card
- I presume they are both edited in the same VE software + they are both uploaded to youtube

So if it was youtube or the software used to edit the videos then the fury x should also be showing less detail....

It is just like the batman AK PC VS X0 VS PS 4 comparison video:

Did youtube or the VE software remove the rain and AO effects/detail from the PC version?

Last edited:
Soldato
I cba getting involved in this as it is likely a problem with the PC/settings or something else and the only way to be sure is to upload full size screenshots from each one in a variety of games.

However, I love how people say that youtube compression etc. is to blame:

- I presume they are both edited in the same VE software + they are both uploaded to youtube

So if it was youtube or the software used to edit the videos then the fury x should also be showing less detail....

It is just like the batman AK PC VS X0 VS PS 4 comparison video:

Did youtube or the VE software remove the rain and AO effects/detail from the PC version?

valid point.. am finding it funny that some people are putting it down to the fact greg changed some colour settings lol

Mei

Mei

Soldato
effects is a bit different to AA differences and shadows things like that
them things can get messed up with compression & color changes
stuff like draw distances it dont matter

Suspended
He means regardless of compression, draw distance differences can still be noticed easily.

Yes but to be fair its also subjective to the player, some people don't see the difference because they tend not to scrutinise what's in a distance while others notice things rendering into view out of nowhere as they move along.

As a side note, most probably know this but for those who don't: Distance Drawing adjustment is used to reduce the workload on hardware, its part of development optimisation, by decreasing the Draw Distance you're decreasing the amount of Instances, Veracities, Textures, Poly's and Calls your hardware needs to process at any given time.

It can have a significant effect on performance, i can easily setup a demonstration of it in Cryengine.

Caporegime
Someone did a screenshot yesterday highlighting the differences:

There is more to it than just AA.

BTW, is this with DX? I noticed a few differences in contrast and detail between DX and mantle on a few maps on my 290 but then on others, no difference at all.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=27491594&postcount=16733

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=27491318&postcount=16724

That isn't a screen shot, that is a screen shot of YouTube.

The people that have actually posted screen shots from the game have images that look nothing like that at all. The images are near enough identical in real life.

Caporegime
Yeah that is what I meant....

Again:

I haven't seen these images, got a link? Are they using the exact same settings as greg with the same res. monitor?

Suspended
Of course, but that's not really the point here. People want to know why there's a difference between the two.

The only reason to reduce Draw Distance is to increase performance.

However that does not necessarily point to foul-play on Nvidia's part.

As we all know Mantle is a better more efficient API to DX11, it could very well be a case of DICE and AMD deciding to optimise more toward IQ with Mantle.

I would really like to see DX only comparisons, but even then it could simply be a case of AMD choosing IQ over performance, both AMD and Nvidia would have those options when working with DICE.

We can't say for sure Nvidia are deliberately gimping IQ to look like they have bigger performance, having said that it is the end result.

Last edited:
Soldato
The only reason to reduce Draw Distance is to increase performance.

However that does not necessarily point to foul-play on Nvidia's part.

As we all know Mantle is a better more efficient API to DX11, it could very well be a case of DICE and AMD deciding to optimise more toward IQ with Mantle.

I would really like to see DX only comparisons, but even then it could simply be a case of AMD choosing IQ over performance, both AMD and Nvidia would have those options when working with DICE.

We can't say for sure Nvidia are deliberately gimping IQ to look like they have bigger performance, having said that it is the end result.

I notice no difference using Mantle vs DX11 both look the same here.

Soldato
This should become a regular feature on your YouTube channel.

You can call it "Greg's monthly can o' worms".

Next month's edition, "My silent Fury X".

Soldato
I'd need to do a side by side comparison to draw anything worth posting up as findings (as in run both machines up side by side), but I think Batman AK image fidelity is better on Fury X at 4K than on TX. I wasn't sure if it was just placebo.

Back
Top Bottom