• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD IQ Vs Nvidia IQ - shenanigans or something else?

Soldato
We can't say for sure Nvidia are deliberately gimping IQ to look like they have bigger performance, having said that it is the end result.

We can however say they do have a track record of doing so. The Omega drivers were originally created to address this exact thing.

Soldato
As we all know Mantle is a better more efficient API to DX11, it could very well be a case of DICE and AMD deciding to optimise more toward IQ with Mantle.

I would really like to see DX only comparisons, but even then it could simply be a case of AMD choosing IQ over performance, both AMD and Nvidia would have those options when working with DICE.

We can't say for sure Nvidia are deliberately gimping IQ to look like they have bigger performance, having said that it is the end result.

Greg used DX11 in both. The performance of mantle in BF4 with GCN 1.2 parts is worse than DX11 apparently.

Caporegime
effects is a bit different to AA differences and shadows things like that
them things can get messed up with compression & color changes
stuff like draw distances it dont matter

yea I remember guild wars 2 and having no water or spell effects.
I think it was because fraps messed them up somehow

Mei

Mei

Soldato
This should become a regular feature on your YouTube channel.

You can call it "Greg's monthly can o' worms".

Next month's edition, "My silent Fury X".

haha
with him talking next to the card but his voice dubbed on afterwards :cool:

Caporegime
I notice no difference using Mantle vs DX11 both look the same here.

Ok.

For me this highlights the fact that Vendor comparisons based on raw FPS is utter nonsense.

Not just because they could and probably do quite a lot of the time run different levels of IQ with exactly the same settings but also because software measurements of FPS are not reading how many Frames the GPU is actually rendering at any given time, its could be rendering 45 in a second but actually feeding 90 through the output with half of them being the previous frame refreshed.

The only real measure of these GPU's is turn off all OSD software, now how does the game feel to you and what do you think of the image quality.

All else is empty noise.

Caporegime
OP
This should become a regular feature on your YouTube channel.

You can call it "Greg's monthly can o' worms".

Next month's edition, "My silent Fury X".

Haha, good shout. I never expected a crappy recording to draw so much attention but if there is something amiss, good stuff. I am re-doing the run but walking it this time and staying on a line and using GVR for AMD and ShadowPlay for Nvidia. Both record in great quality, so hopefully it will make things a little clearer to see. Also playing at 1440P and recording at 1080P, so should help with youtube compression. I would have recorded at 1440P but GVR doesn't :(

Caporegime
Fiji does have more raw power than GM 204, about 8.6 TFlops vs 6.1 TFlops, its also more performance per watt, hayho.... :D

Why is all that power apparently not translation into gaming performance?

Last edited:
Soldato
Wow!!...this is like 2004/05 all over again with my old Nvidia 6800GT vs Radeon X850XT and image quality comparison wars of the time.

Soldato
This is one of the most interesting things I've read for a while. We need to go deeper.

If I had to give a reason, it would be the new fangled Nvidia colour compression algorithms they're using to get round the relative weakness of Maxwell's memory bandwidth.

Possibly...maybe ????

Caporegime
If I had to give a reason, it would be the new fangled Nvidia colour compression algorithms they're using to get round the relative weakness of Maxwell's memory bandwidth.

Possibly...maybe ????

AMD have the same tech and use it.

I suppose it can cause washed-out colour and less sharp textures but not to the extent apparent in the side by side Youtube, youtube is not ideal i know.

Delta Colour compression and Texture compression is something that is a part of Cryengine, the Delta Colour difference between say 2x and 8x can hardly be seen with the naked eye.

Edit; it wouldn't explain missing details, missing objects....

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Just wait till tonight chaps. I will have much better 60fps video's for comparison. I will also add screen shots and that should show things better. Just don't try and find something that isn't there though and watch with an open mind.

Soldato
[*]I use a capture card (avermedia LGP lite) for both runs

This is gonna sound odd, but have you tried the TX connected via DP to the monitor to see if that makes any difference?

Could it be something to do with the way Nvidia cards use HDMI colour compression to do 4K+60Hz without HDMI 2.0? (I know the TX has HDMI 2.0 but if the HDMI capture device doesn't it may be that the card is seeing a sub HDMI 2.0 connection and activating it's chroma subsampling /shrug).

IDK

Associate
I'd try and test it from my end but I don't have the cards available. If anyone has both then I'd be interested to see if these results could be replicated.

Gregster may have found something here. I'm waiting to see what his results will show later. Potentially might have been a one off, might not. Let's wait and see. #TeamGregster

Back
Top Bottom