• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Mantle Vs. Direct X Battlefield 4 Multiplayer Benchmarks

Soldato

K

Draw distance also known as Render Distance is a computer graphics term, defined as the maximum distance of objects in a three dimensional scene that are drawn by the rendering engine. Polygons that lie behind the draw distance won't be drawn to the screen.
As the draw distance increases more distant polygons need to be drawn onto the screen that would regularly be clipped. This requires more computing power; the graphic quality and realism of the scene will increase as draw distance increases, but the overall performance (frames per second) will decrease. Many games and applications will allow users to manually set the draw distance to balance performance and visuals.

Not saying anything further, won't get me anywhere but...well...I'll get my coat.

Continue :)

Soldato
K

Not saying anything further, won't get me anywhere but...well...I'll get my coat.

I understand what Draw distance does. And if you look at the two images you posted the Mantle one is still drawing in the buildings the only change is it have a faint fog.

Proper Draw distance dont still draw the image

Example take look this BF2 50% vs 100% Note at 50% things have gone completely.
:D:p
http://s3.photobucket.com/user/MrWright/media/BF2 Stuff/ViewDistance.jpg.html

My point Proven. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Guys, performance can vary depending on the setup and settings. I couldn't care less that on $1k CPU alone the difference is small, when on my own setup I see huge improvements in minimum fps (50% or more), precision and responsiveness of the controls. And I'm talking about a 2500@4,5GHz and 7950OC, not some APU with the latest r290x. Some guy out there with a pair of GPUs may share the same sentiment as I, which is all that REALLY matters. Instead of changing the entire setup for my next upgrade, I just plug in a r290/r390 and game on, without limits, without the need for faster, more expensive CPU and with a better overall experience. Why buy some expensive hardware in order to bypass the bloatware that DX11 seems to be? Even nVIDIA has shown some nice stuff in OpenGL during Steam Days, so it looks like the ball will keep rolling away from M$.

Permabanned
That's all well and good Calin if you're only playing Mantle games, but new DirectX titles are gonna be coming for a while yet.

Soldato
I am sure your [email protected] would be fine with a R9-290 or its successor in a mantle game or dx11 game.

Also, are you actually getting 50% improvements in game with mantle for your setup?

Not making an argument but that sounds an awful high gain considering your setup.

Soldato
Until the fogs cleared in a patch we wont know the affect on fps,, Dev's have been known to fudge or even fog :) a issue,i Like mantle but until the IQ is same as DX really fps comparisons are pointless

Caporegime
It's anecdotal. Not seen any tests which show this 'smoothness' factor - those that say it are more often than not running multi GPU so they are likely seeing more smoothness from an increased and more consistent FPS along with higher corresponding minimums. None of which you're going to see on a single card if you're only getting an 8% bump.

Not to say something isn't there but I'm not convinced yet from what I've read. I put anecdotal evidence (i.e. "it feels smoother lads") pretty low down on the weighting. Again, not doubting this is being perceived but the reasons behind it to me seem correlative to the FPS being received.

Anecdotal it may be but i agree with others, it feels more fluid. don't know how, it just does. you need to experience it.

Latency also seems to be better, i'm getting much better hit detection, more kills.

Mantle is better than DX. without a shadow of a doubt.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's not total nonsense at all. How is a 3 FPS increase at 1440p really that significant? You would be guessing trying to pick a 45 FPS average out from a 48 FPS average line up.

Whereas I over clock my 780 because it provides a hell of a lot more than 8% :p.

No - you won't notice 8%.

Stating it's 8% faster (or whatever) is fine but is that really a game changer? Not really on its own. You seemed to have missed the part where I said twice that any improvement is not to be sniffed at. And again, when I said the true benefits will hopefully be shown when it's built in at an earlier stage as opposed to patched in. Of course these are AMDs first drivers too.

How much % increase do you get from overclocking your 780?

Soldato
Anecdotal it may be but i agree with others, it feels more fluid. don't know how, it just does. you need to experience it.

Latency also seems to be better, i'm getting much better hit detection, more kills.

Agree about the Fluid and you not the only one saying they notice better Hit Detection.

Soldato
Anecdotal it is not, if it was-EVERY review out there is anecdotal.:)

it feels more fluid. don't know how, it just does. you need to experience it.

+1,
It is simply sublime in Mantle-if you are lucky enough to be the few that has little to no problems.

When it's working-it's better than words describe, remember when CrossFire was broken?

I was dubious/defensive tbho due to it being a Nvidia proof campaign and due to the flak aimed @CrossFire users, but in the end I held my hands up when I used the fixed CrossFire driver and it was smoother-a lot smoother and performance increased.

It's a similar situation with Mantle, it's sort of the same feeling, it is just way smoother, with increased performance-boosting your scores, CrossFire will be even better.

Can't currently use Mantle as Mincraft is gubbed on the beta driver and my boy NEEDS his Minecraft fix to save my sanity.:eek:

Just hoping there is a new beta driver with a MC fix in time for THIEF.

Caporegime
Agree about the Fluid and you not the only one saying they notice better Hit Detection.

Its most noticeable at longer range, especially if they are moving, follow them in the cross-hairs, brrd brrd brrd brrd...... your lucky to hit him half the time.

Its the first thing i noticed. do the same thing, brrd brrd *dead*... wow? okay... next one. brrd brrd *dead* ...what? brrd brrd *dead* Holly #### :eek: brrd brrd *dead* wohoo...... :D

Associate
K

"Depth Fog" is what you're looking for. Not draw distance. They're separate. Draw distance culls things that are too far away. Depth fog fades things into the fog color based on how far away they are-- the engine needs to render it before it can fade it away.

The fog values needs to be set for every map, several times in case of maps where the ambiance changes (like in Shanghai after you bring down the building). And they didn't bother before pushing the Mantle patch through.

As you can see from your screenshots, DirectX has fogging also.

This isn't to say that thick depth fog as in the Mantle screenshot can't be used to hide a shorter draw distance ;). But thicker depth fog doesn't do anything performance-wise by itself. It's just blending a color into pixels based on a depth test.

I'm also experiencing a much smoother game. It's really responsive under Mantle.

Associate
I have ran drivers 13.12 and 14.1 and dx and mantle with my i7 4770k oc 4.3 and using sapphire Tri x R9 290 on 2560x1080 on ultra settings, I can't tell any difference with my eyes, am I getting blind?

Back
Top Bottom