• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I didn't know that she said, that they were also going to relaunch the 57/56/5500s again, this year as well. :p
The question is when will they be releasing the new graphics cards? I am not bothered about the CPU's as I only recently upgraded and won't be needing a new CPU for a while.

Woukd be nice to get RDNA2 cards in the first half of the year. But I get the feeling they will come out around the same time as Nvidia's 3000 series instead of taking the chance to take the lead for a while. Nothing will change, they will beat the 2080Ti but at that point that performance will be 3070 class performance and they will at best match the 3080.

Soldato
they will beat the 2080Ti but at that point that performance will be 3070 class performance and they will at best match the 3080.
But the performance and generational deficit will be down to months, not years. That's a great step forward to being a proper and continual competitor again. But unless Nvidia see AMD as a proper threat in the long game, there's no way in hell Nvidia are giving 2080 Ti performance on a 3070, which makes the deficit even smaller for AMD.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
But the performance and generational deficit will be down to months, not years. That's a great step forward to being a proper and continual competitor again. But unless Nvidia see AMD as a proper threat in the long game, there's no way in hell Nvidia are giving 2080 Ti performance on a 3070, which makes the deficit even smaller for AMD.
Why though? The gap between the 2070S and 2080Ti small relative to what it was between the 970 and 980Ti, the same with the 1070 and 1080Ti.

I will be surprised if the 3070 is much slower than a 2080Ti. Even if it is a little, the gap will shink with time as Turing stops getting optimisation and the 3070 will catch up or take over.

Soldato
The performance gap between 2070 Super and 2080 Ti is, what, 25%? If Nvidia double-down on RT, which is where the performance bottleneck is, will Nvidia bother with a 25% raw performance bump on a the midrange model? 2080 Ti ray tracing performance on the 3070 I can see, but a 25% raw bump as well? That's unbecoming of fleecing customers in the absence of competition.

Soldato
The performance gap between 2070 Super and 2080 Ti is, what, 25%? If Nvidia double-down on RT, which is where the performance bottleneck is, will Nvidia bother with a 25% raw performance bump on a the midrange model? 2080 Ti ray tracing performance on the 3070 I can see, but a 25% raw bump as well? That's unbecoming of fleecing customers in the absence of competition.

The 2080 to 2080Ti jump was 35% last I saw so it'll be more like 40%. If they can make a 3080 or AMD make a performance equivalent with better RT performance than the 2080Ti for about £600 I may well bite.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Then Nvidia definitely won't push a 3070 to 2080 Ti performance
We will see, I will be very disappointed if it is not within 10% reach of it. If it ain't and they want more than £400 for it then I recon I will grab a cheap 2070S on members market and call it a day and just stick with the PS5 for some years until I can get a decent upgrade without having to fork out 4 figures. Though I am somewhat certain it won't come to this.

Soldato
Though I am somewhat certain it won't come to this.
It'll depend on what Nvidia's spies in AMD report back :p

64 CUs on RDNA 1 would probably hit the 2080 Ti. 80 CUs on RDNA 1 would probably hit the RTX Titan. That's the current gen. Ampere would beat those RDNA 1 cards for sure, but if Nvidia don't give stupid performance uplift across the entire range then RDNA 2 - which would exist as a product only 6 months after Ampere - would take the performance crown, and Nvidia have nothing then until Hopper.

So if Nvidia see AMD as a credible threat, they're going to have to do with Ampere what Zen 2 did with Intel: humiliate it so it takes years again to catch back up.

Caporegime
I didn't know that she said, that they were also going to relaunch the 57/56/5500s again, this year as well. :p
The only way this makes any sense, is if the "6000 series" is more akin to the Fury/Vega releases. Ie, they'll sit on top of the other "5000 series" cards coming out this year.

Otherwise it makes no sense at all, for AMD to launch two product series in a single year.

Soldato
The only way this makes any sense, is if the "6000 series" is more akin to the Fury/Vega releases. Ie, they'll sit on top of the other "5000 series" cards coming out this year.

Otherwise it makes no sense at all, for AMD to launch two product series in a single year.

Makes a lot of sense, maybe AMD have a new tier of Titan killer? After all the Titans were overthrown by Zeus and the Olympians ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom