• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Don't use crap sites like that, the difference isn't 55% WTF! Look at my previous post where I link to TPU. It's 20% (1080p) to 30% (4K). And before you say that this one has a higher PL, it doesn't reach clocks higher than ones with 215w limit (https://www.techpowerup.com/review/zotac-geforce-rtx-2070-super-amp-extreme/33.html). I just linked the HOF because it's fresh benchmarks.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/galax-geforce-rtx-2070-super-hof-10-year/27.html

TBF, you say don't use crap sites like that but you're quoting a factory OC'd card versus a bog standard card, of course the differences will be reduced in that chart. OC vs OC cards and the gap is bigger. I was only looking at 4K though so results may vary at 1080P.

Soldato
TBF, you say don't use crap sites like that but you're quoting a factory OC'd card versus a bog standard card, of course the differences will be reduced in that chart. OC vs OC cards and the gap is bigger. I was only looking at 4K though so results may vary at 1080P.

The factory results are still on the table he linked, which shows its 38% difference at 4K when both are stock. If both are overclocked the gap will most likely grow slightly, from what I've seen the 2080ti has more room to gain compared to the lower tier cards.

For example using TPU data - the 2070 super HOf is 7% faster than stock while same 2080ti HOF is 10% faster than stock. Then for manual overclocking the 2070super HOF gains 5% extra performance and the 2080ti HOF gains 9%. Then to get the total difference we add them up. 38% base difference between 2070super and 2080ti and total of 7% difference between these two models after you OC both. Total 4K performance difference between 2070 super HOF and 2080ti HOF = 45%

Last edited:
Soldato

All Turing cards are factory OC, there's no such thing as stock anymore. But like I said, look at frequencies, that's what matters. In the end they all hit the same frequencies (even tho it's 215w vs 260w) and it's only the noise that's a differentiating factor (excluding hard mods & 360 loops and the like). Even with OC, even with whatever you want, you're not gonna see a difference that big unless you specifically design a scenario to choke out the 2070 S, i.e. never in an actual game.

Soldato

True even over the 2080S the Ti can be up to 30% faster with an overclock.

Considering how fast the 2080S is vs the 2070S the figures you are stating seem about right.

You rarely see videos actually showcasing the Ti at full clocks vs a 2070S. And in most cases at 4k it is around 50% if not more.

2070S 4k maxed settings TW3

2080Ti 4k maxed settings TW3

From testing I’ve been through the entirety of TW3 at max settings 4k with hairworks maxed and it has never dropped below 60fps. Usually it’s around 70-80+. 2070S seems to be hitting around 45-50fps even overclocked :cool:

Soldato

This is looking like the Gold Standard on PS5. Something unseen on the PC to date. The game allegedly using this is called Quantum Error, a PS5 exclusive.
I still like to know how RT Audio is going to work. If it is just AMD's True Audio (tweaked) I have to wonder how console games who use it will be ported to PC?

Caporegime

This is looking like the Gold Standard on PS5. Something unseen on the PC to date. The game allegedly using this is called Quantum Error, a PS5 exclusive.
I still like to know how RT Audio is going to work. If it is just AMD's True Audio (tweaked) I have to wonder how console games who use it will be ported to PC?

Yup, its supposedly 4K60fps, with full Ray Tracing, R.I.P Nvidia!

:p

GAC

GAC

Soldato
Worse you say, how is that even possible?

i found his vids around end of last year and he had a habit then of posting half a dozen videos about the same subject all using the same rumour or leak while claiming it all as fact. he may have improved but honestly until i see digital foundry or someone else post something that isnt a rumour made up from a feverish dream il wait.

too many on here posting it as fact, acting like fanboys or just flat out trolling to pad their own post count on here.

Soldato

Hmm, intersting...
This uses MPEG-H codec if I'm not mistaken. And it's very similar to Dolby Atmos and how it works in principal.

I thought this was more for music though.
At around 1:40 to 2:10 there was no mention for gaming.
At around 2:13 they talk about an app for your phone which seems to be demo'd in the video you linked to.
So we know that the Term 360 Reality is intended for Music.

However, during their press release they call the 3D audio for PS5 Tempst Engine with similar ties to the 360 Reality. However, they've not really elaborated on it (or I missed it :p).
Here is what I found out so far:

Sony is equipping the PlayStation 5 with a revolutionary Tempest 3D audio engine that focuses a lot on positional audio experiences using HRTF methods. The PS5's Tempest Engine actually leverages an entire GPU compute unit for audio processing. Sony will be further improving audio in the years to come, and this may involve creating HRTF profiles based on the photo of a user's ear or head.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-P...-of-your-ears-for-added-realism.458484.0.html

But the PS5’s new Tempest Engine will support hundreds of sound sources, meaning it will appear that sound could be coming from hundreds of different directions as you hear it in a game. When you have something like raindrops, you’ll hear them coming from many different directions. That will help you feel a sense of presence, as if you were transported to some other world.

You can also more precisely track locality, or where objects are located. If an enemy is sneaking up on you, you’ll be better able to tell that. Such sound effects are common in games today, but they are often muddled. I remember playing a round of Fortnite and hearing footsteps in a house. But I didn’t know where those sounds came from, and I wound up getting ambushed as I searched the house.
https://venturebeat.com/2020/03/18/playstation-5-mark-cerny-explains-tempest-engine-for-3d-audio/

This is what I am upmost concerned with when it comes to cross play FTP games (Modern Warfare 2019). Right now console players still have a pretty sizeable audio advantage when it comes to pin pointing enemies they cannot see. Verses, mid-range PC player using onboard Realtek audio with outdated drivers from 2015 because that particular "MB" is outdated.

Audio researchers have referred to how we hear as a combination of sound frequency and direction, which they can measure in something called head-related transfer function, or HRTF. You can see an example of that in the image above. Each person has a different HRTF, which you can measure in a special lab. Some people may not be able to discern the spatial audio at all.

Sony can’t do that, so it has to come up with a default HRTF and see how it can be modified for each person.

“We wanted 3D audio for all,” Cerny said.

Above: Mark Cerny is the lead system architect for PlayStation 5.

Image Credit: Sony
And rather than license existing technologies such as Dolby Atmos, Sony decided to do the work on 3D audio on its own. But it created the Tempest Engine as a custom processing resource in the PS5 to make sure that 3D audio got its fair share of overall processing in the system. That’s expensive, but Sony hopes that bet will pay off.
https://venturebeat.com/2020/03/18/playstation-5-mark-cerny-explains-tempest-engine-for-3d-audio/

I think that some might under estimate the importance of this when gaming. You should see the complaints on the BFV forum right now about how bad the audio position is in the game. IE: Silent tanks, cannot hear planes when they do a bomb run, footsteps in the wrong direction, etc. Most of those threads get push down to oblivion though.

So this brings us back to these new GPUs. Getting 120FPS at 120Hz, 4K might be a true dream but if the future of gaming, in particular FPS games, goes cross platform then I would most certainly want the audio to be on par as well. I have to wonder if AMD is even considering this "audio" in future drivers for those who have these new GPUs?

Last edited:

GAC

GAC

Soldato
they will do 120fps at 4k, BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT dont expect it to be a tripple A game its going to be some rather mediocre fps free to play crap like fortnight. more so on the ps5 with its weaker gpu.

Soldato
Ok do me a favor, watch these 2 videos with decent headphones. One will be on PC, the other on Console (doesn't matter which). Listen for the audio cues to see if you can tell the direction and position of footsteps, gun fire, etc.
Now I want to make it clear that Youtube isn't the best way to demonstrate audio quality in this fashion, I know this. However, the distinction is so clear to me in the video below I wanted to provide it as an example as it resembles my own experience. Also, it's my understanding that PS4 encodes audio at 128kbps at 48kHz which is standard on the PC audio like Realtek, Sound Blaster, etc (unless you select something very low).

This is the PC version with unknown setup. Start at 6:00 minute market.

This is PS4. Start at the 9:07 mark.

I try to use the same maps which is why I have starting points on each video. Put on some decent headphones. Take note of the audio cues which would cause you to move your head left, right, front, back when looking for the enemy between PC vs PS4. Another caveat is that the audio position would technically be better on both PC and Console vs what's compressed to work with Youtube so keep that in mind as well. If there was a better way of demo'ing this example I'm all "ears" (LOL). Jokes aside, before I updated my audio, the PC version is very similar to what I heard in the PC video. I can hear gunshots, footsteps, and other ambient sounds. But I couldn't always tell the position of the enemy player as they run by. Regardless of Boost, Boost Low, Boost High.

Here is another example on the PS4, I believe.
Listen to the 1st 10 seconds . You should be able to hear the footsteps but also can tell that they sound very soft, when far away, to loud, "fuller" the pitch of the audio cue changes just before the enemy becomes visible. If you look at the player, he actually backs up just before the enemy is visible. Which is a natural thing to do. Unfortunately, again, this is youtube, and can't really audio ping the player for a pint point position. But on console, you certain can pinpoint the enemy position audibly. Well, at least I can with my Sennheiser.

This is the disadvantage I'm seeing as a PC player when I play against console players in Modern Warfare 2019 (cross platform). Right now I'm getting well over 100+ FPS at 1440p yet they are one up'ing me by being able to audio ping me as I get close to them. And was the #1 reason why I stayed away from 2v2 matches. They can sound ping me and know exactly were you are within ear shot of about 20'-25' or so. While on my end, I hear them...and get a general idea of where they are but cannot pin point them. Well, until I upgraded my audio. And found some good use for using LatencyMon while playing MW2019 ;).

So, lets say I upgrade to the 6800 series card. I now get over 140+ FPS at 120Hz at 1440p. Sure, that would be better from my point of view. But if I didn't upgrade my audio and/or get better audio fidelity from the game's engine for these PC ported game I'm at a disadvantage playing against console players. This isn't black and white though. One most factor in skill, weapon used, teammate, etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom