• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD on the road to recovery.

Permabanned
Read it again, 200,000 is the amount of EPYC Processors...............the core count is 3,125,064 cores.

I read it before you and saw that AMD will be in the final phase, after they build the supercomputer with Intel and Nvidia parts first.
Just the title highlighting AMD's Rome is a mystery.

Soldato
I read it before you and saw that AMD will be in the final phase, after they build the supercomputer with Intel and Nvidia parts first.
Just the title highlighting AMD's Rome is a mystery.

I think the Title highlighting Rome is obvious. They decided to go with Intel and Nvidia, signed the first phase of the contract and then saw Rome. Second phase signed with AMD, much much lower cost, better core count and better CPU at the end of the day.
The most interesting thing that hit me from the article was that Rome will be used under liquid cooling...................................that suggests to me they plan on running Rome overclocked.

Soldato
The most interesting thing that hit me from the article was that Rome will be used under liquid

It's now common place to use liquid cooling solutions in large scale computing environments due to decreased power consumption. Plenty of good articles around worth reading if you are interested. Nothing to do with over clocking

Permabanned
when I was selling pcs for a living from 2010-2014 I sold about 4 amd's or roughly 1 a year. I sold probably 2000 pcs in that time. Granted I was selling to "normal" people. But anything more than 0 is a easy comeback.

What? :confused:

I think the world should impose further sanctions on Intel, those fines of a billion $ or so are not enough.

Permabanned
It looks increasingly like Xbox is also going down the 7nm chiplet route on their next system as well. I get the feeling they are going to wait until 7nm+ and possibly even Arcturis.

If they have been able to create a low power 7nm Zen 2 part then they are going to be on fire next year.

I think it'll be good news for everyone if Sony & Microsoft stay with AMD for the next generation of consoles, I was wondering whether Intel would be in a position to offer an alternative chip for the consoles by then. AMD keeping control of the consoles should be good for those of us with AMD based PC's as well, in truth it didn't really make a difference with the current gen but the longer they remain in control the better it should get as game dev's will get used to using AMD's way of doing things on the open source side of graphics (hopefully).

Permabanned
AMD's fourth quarter will mark a departure from its days of rapid growth. Analysts expect earnings per share of $0.08, flat with the prior-year period, on a 2.2% decline in sales to $1.45 billion. The estimates are in line with AMD's own guidance, and there's unlikely to be any surprise on this front thanks to the lack of any catalysts of late.

Processor sales should continue rising
AMD has been eating into rival Intel's PC and server processor market share thanks to its Ryzen and EPYC chips. For instance, the company had claimed that its third-quarter notebook processor shipments; doubled on a sequential basis for the second quarter in a row because Ryzen-equipped notebooks were launched in 2018. It wouldn't be surprising to see the momentum continuing in 2019, since the company promises a bigger range of Ryzen-equipped notebooks this year." AMD has been eating into rival Intel's PC and server processor market share thanks to its Ryzen and EPYC chips. For instance, the company had claimed that its third-quarter notebook processor shipments doubled on a sequential basis for the second quarter in a row because 60 Ryzen-equipped notebooks were launched in 2018. It wouldn't be surprising to see the momentum continuing in 2019, since the company promises a bigger range of Ryzen-equipped notebooks this year.

Similarly, AMD's EPYC server processors have been in strong demand from Tier 1 cloud computing providers and server manufacturers, which is why it was on track to exit 2018 "with mid-single-digit server unit market share," according to the latest estimate. Looking ahead, demand for AMD's server processors will keep getting better now that the company has started sampling its next-generation Rome server chips.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/expect-amd-apos-q4-earnings-170000595.html

Permabanned
"2019 marks an important inflection point for AMD as we prepare to launch our next-generation high-performance 7nm products," said Dr. Lisa Su, AMD president and CEO. "I am excited to strengthen and align our leadership team around our customers and end markets to sharpen our focus on continued growth and market share gains."

Promotions/changes:
Mark Papermaster - Executive VP and Chief Technology Officer, responsible for driving the technology vision and roadmap execution of the company
Darren Grasby - Senior VP and Chief Sales Officer, responsible for global sales and go-to-market activities across all product lines, channels and regions
Forrest Norrod - Senior VP and General Manager of Datacenter and Embedded Solutions Group, responsible for all AMD datacenter products across both CPUs and GPUs
Sandeep Chennakeshu - Executive VP of Computing and Graphics, responsible for the company's high-performance PC, gaming and semi-custom businesses

Leaving the company:
James Prior - Senior Product Manager

https://www.techpowerup.com/251862/amd-re-structures-leadership-team-james-prior-leaves-amd

Associate
AMD Amends Wafer Supply Agreement with GlobalFoudries: To Buy Wafers Till 2021
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1391...th-globalfoudries-set-to-buy-wafers-till-2021

"The amendment provides AMD full flexibility for wafer purchases from any foundry at the 7nm node and beyond without any one-time payments or royalties."
"AMD will continue to rely heavily on GlobalFoundries for any larger nodes, as the firm will remain AMD’s long-term strategic supplier for 12nm and above"

Back
Top Bottom