• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD on the road to recovery.

Associate
Interesting to see Amazon's review count for each CPU. 2600x, 1600x, 1600, 2600 and 2400G have exactly the same amount of reviews :D Intels 8700K and 8600K has same number as well :D

Associate
Behold a new king ascends the throne in the UK!! :D
Best-Sellers1.jpg

Soldato
Price went down to about £54 for a few hours, hence the uplift in sales, it's pretty good value if you can't buy a cheap Intel CPU dual core anymore, and the boards cost peanuts too. £115 for an i3-7100 dual core, or £130+ for the i3 8100, even the Pentiums are in the high £70's.

Associate
Vice President at Intel confirms Adaptive Sync support for upcoming processor graphics and discrete graphics!
https://twitter.com/IntelGraphics/status/1062855813797044224?s=09

It's a win for AMD since it's what AMD uses for Freesync and a win for open standards supporters.
Intel actually directly says: In no way would we be moving towards a proprietary technology "G-Sync" to employ adaptive sync".

Permabanned
AMD needs to fix their software support for notebooks. Why am I not allowed to install the latest drivers from AMD website for my Acer Nitro 5 with Ryzen 5 2500U :confused: :confused:

AMD Responds to Lack of Ryzen Mobile Driver Updates, Claims OEMs are the Issue https://www.techpowerup.com/249876/...bile-driver-updates-claims-oems-are-the-issue

AMD's Ryzen Notebook lineup seems to be very important to company, at least when going by how often it gets mentioned in the AMD financial analyst calls. That's why it's even more surprising that the driver situation for these products has been nothing but terrible. Some Ryzen Raven Ridge based notebooks haven't seen a single driver update since their release over a year ago, which is much worse than on any other notebook platform.
Users complained about this on Reddit, and AMD responded through an official account that the issue is that "drivers are typically tailored for specific OEM platforms", and that "releasing generic APU graphics drivers across all AMD Ryzen mobile processor-based mobile systems could result in less-than-ideal user experiences". AMD also made it clear that they will be working with OEMs to increase the release frequency of Ryzen Mobile graphics drivers, targeting two releases per-year in 2019.

To me this explanation sounds like bs.

OEMs don't buy customized APU chips from AMD, they all use the same physical chip, with the same capabilities. All the "driver tailoring" usually is just a bunch of logos and adding or removing features, which quite often is actually harming the user experience. While of course other components in the laptop might differ (networking, storage, audio), and the connected displays might run various refresh rates and resolutions, it's not like such differences have any significant effect on traditional desktop PCs. Imagine having to wait for your monitor vendor to approve and release a graphics driver update.
This somehow reminds me of the Android ecosystem, where phone makers were responsible for validating and releasing updates to the Android OS. Of course they already had your money, so why would they invest time and resources into improving something that yields no return and can possibly lead to support calls for issues with the upgrade (they'll happily sell their new phone model though). Just like AMD is trying now, Google has then started forcing OEMs to increase the update frequency, which never really worked out. An alternative approach is what NVIDIA does. Besides the vendor-supplied drivers, they offer a generic notebook driver on their website, that is updated with every new driver release and that you are free to use, and that as far as I know, works with nearly no issues.
Many users had success using the "force install" option in Windows Device Manager, and report that they're actually having fewer issues with that approach than when using the official driver. I think we can all agree that business users and casuals don't need a lot of driver updates, but the tech enthusiasts are a significant driver of AMD's business and should be kept happy (and they'll beta test the drivers, too, for free). Enthusiasts will tell their relatives and friends (who might not even know of AMD as a tech brand), what products to buy or to avoid, which is very important for a company like AMD that wants to establish a foothold in the highly competitive laptop market.

AMD's full statement below:

Feedback is a critical part of how AMD delivers great products. You have made it clear we have room for improvement on graphics driver updates for AMD Ryzen Mobile processor-based notebooks, both for APU-only platforms and discrete GPU notebook designs. It is important to understand that our graphics drivers are typically tailored for specific OEM platforms, so releasing generic APU graphics drivers across all AMD Ryzen mobile processor-based mobile systems could result in less-than-ideal user experiences. So what can AMD do?
We are committing to work with our OEMs to increase the release frequency of AMD Ryzen Mobile processor graphics drivers. Starting in 2019, we will target enabling OEMs to deliver a twice-annual update of graphics drivers specifically for all AMD Ryzen Mobile processor-based systems. Because the release is ultimately up to the OEMs, this may vary from platform to platform, but we want to put out a clear goal for us and our OEM partners. Those updates should be available for download on the respective OEM websites.
In addition, AMD will continue to evaluate ways in which we can offer validated graphics drivers for AMD Ryzen Mobile processor-based notebooks aligned to the latest AMD software updates, and will provide updates as soon as we are able. Thank you to the community of AMD users who voice their opinions on this issue.

Soldato
AMD needs to learn: never, ever put OEMs in charge of driver releases. Just make generic ones and have OEM-specific ones be entirely optional. They are almost always hugely out of date and buggy. This was the situation with Android until fairly recently, where even flagship Samsung phones would always be around a year out of date with security patches. It just adds too much lag time to the cycle.

Permabanned
AMD needs to learn: never, ever put OEMs in charge of driver releases. Just make generic ones and have OEM-specific ones be entirely optional. They are almost always hugely out of date and buggy. This was the situation with Android until fairly recently, where even flagship Samsung phones would always be around a year out of date with security patches. It just adds too much lag time to the cycle.

Yes, normally like nVidia does with their available GeForce drivers for mobile graphics cards for all notebooks, it is convenient and super cool.
AMD's excuse is weird because they claim this practice would result in less than ideal user experience... What about the experience now, perfect or awful?

Permabanned
AMD's Mark Papermaster turned company's failure into success
https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose...mpanys-failure-into.html?ana=yahoo&yptr=yahoo

"We knew that the architecture needed to be greatly improved, but no one was willing to take a couple years' time out to fix it Naffziger said.
Mark came in and he saw that immediately. He knew what it took to force a re-architecture."

AMD's execution these years is probably one of the best in the industry worldwide as a whole.
Not only they brought Zen 1 with over 50% IPC improvement over Bulldozer's latest iteration but also Zen 2 will offer also significant IPC uplift on its own. Zen 3 will also not be bad.
Zen 4 and Zen 5 will follow :eek:

:eek:

Associate
AMD's execution these years is probably one of the best in the industry worldwide as a whole.
Not only they brought Zen 1 with over 50% IPC improvement over Bulldozer's latest iteration but also Zen 2 will offer also significant IPC uplift on its own. Zen 3 will also not be bad.
Zen 4 and Zen 5 will follow :eek:

:eek:

Zen 3 is supposed to just be an efficiency upgrade, so I don't think we'll see much IPC improvements. Maybe 3% or something.

Permabanned
Zen 3 is supposed to just be an efficiency upgrade, so I don't think we'll see much IPC improvements. Maybe 3% or something.

Zen 3 will probably be more like a Zen 2+, I am not sure where their naming structure comes from.

We'll see.
My bet is Zen 2 to Zen 3 will be more than Zen to Zen+.

So, Bulldozer to Zen 52% IPC
Zen to Zen+ 3% IPC
Zen+ to Zen 2 anywhere from 13% to 29% IPC
Zen 2 to Zen 3 4-5% IPC
Zen 3 to Zen 4...............
Zen 4 to Zen 5...............

Back
Top Bottom