• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD on the road to recovery.

Permabanned
From another thread but want to reply here on topic.

Complacency on Intel's part, they should have known better, AMD are a VERY capable company, they can do with $1 what it takes Intel $1000.
Agreed. but now that AMD have some R&D to play with they will come back with some good GPU's, they might not beat nVidia but IMO they will be far more competitive than they are now.

AMD went public at $15 a share, so you could have bought 66 shares for $1,000. AMD's stock subsequently split six times, so you would currently own 1,782 shares, which would be worth nearly $70,000 today. AMD hasn't ever paid a dividend.

AMD's return outperformed the S&P 500's 2,690% return during that same period. However, investors would have made a lot more money by investing in Intel's IPO a year earlier.

Intel went public at $23.50 in Oct. 1972, so you could have bought 42 shares with $1,000. Intel's stock split 13 times since then, so that position would have grown to 51,030 shares -- which would be worth $2.94 million today, and would be paying out over $64,000 in annual dividends.
https://www.fool.com/investing/2019/11/27/if-you-invested-1000-in-amds-ipo-this-is-how-much.aspx

Caporegime
OP
Associate
60% of European Users Prefer AMD CPUs According To EHA Survey
https://www.eha.digital/research/amd-tops-60-in-european-cpu-preference-study/

"The EHA ran a similar survey in 2018, which showed a 40% preference for AMD. In the EHA’s larger survey (May 2019), that preference had risen to 50%."

image11.png

Last edited:
Associate
AMD decimates Intel in November at Germany’s largest retailer Mindfactory!
mMr8FET.png

Another record breaking month for AMD and one where the regular 3600 sold just as much as Intel’s entire lineup :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
Such fantastic news for the company.

The ryzen and threadripper CPUs have been the first time in a while that I have been genuinely interested in PC hardware and innovation again. A 128 thread consumer CPU is on the horizon, incredible!

I imagine the real fun will begin in 2-3 years time when Intel have something to come back with and we see each company pit chiplet based designs against each other.

Permabanned
AMD decimates Intel in November at Germany’s largest retailer Mindfactory!
mMr8FET.png

Another record breaking month for AMD and one where the regular 3600 sold just as much as Intel’s entire lineup :eek:

This is driven by the season peak of the "Black Fridays" related sales but as you can see, the intel sales remain untouched around 5,000 units. They have been so since February 2019.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

This is driven by the season peak of the "Black Fridays" related sales but as you can see, the intel sales remain untouched around 5,000 units. They have been so since February 2019.

Consistently low is still low.

Soldato

Yes but it appears the season peak never happened for Intel, However can you explain the previous months ?

Permabanned
Yes but it appears the season peak never happened for Intel, However can you explain the previous months ?

There is very small season variation for intel too. Their weakest sales were in June when they fell to between 4500 and 5000 units.
I can't find the figures before April 2017, when AMD's sales were around 4000 units, too.

I guess that 4,500-4,900 units for intel is a critical minimum, which they secure by buying the customers. Some type of agreements to sell exactly that number and not to fall below it.

In the ideal case, without any prices correction from intel, their sales should continue to drop, trying to equal 0.

AMD-vs-intel-sales-1-mf1.jpg

AMD-vs-intel-sales-2-mf2.jpg

Soldato
Interesting in that review he basically shuts down SMT4 saying software needs to catch up first, i guess next Gen Ryzen will still be SMT2 rather than 4, they may look for 4 on 5nm or smaller or maybe just in the server market and possibly HEDT.

We still really need software to catch up a bit more, many games are still on old engines that just are not optomized for todays hardware.

Soldato
Interesting in that review he basically shuts down SMT4 saying software needs to catch up first, i guess next Gen Ryzen will still be SMT2 rather than 4, they may look for 4 on 5nm or smaller or maybe just in the server market and possibly HEDT.

We still really need software to catch up a bit more, many games are still on old engines that just are not optomized for todays hardware.
Well Half Life: Alyx is listing a quad core CPU for minimum spec, and with no hyperthreading, at first I thought this sounded a bit low, but then again HL2 only has a single core CPU listed for minimum spec. Not that I'd be playing any game with minimum spec hardware in the first place. But at least maybe it's a good sign of more cores using physics and stuff. Wonder what the recommended CPU will be.

Permabanned
AMD on a tear. I want that 128-core desktop next year please.....for internet browsing.

So basically I always have 15-20 tabs open at once for work purposes, and these tabs are refreshed repeatedly as a set. Is this something multiple cores would help with?

I also have a trading program running often.

Basically would I see a difference between say an i5 6600k and a 5820 6 core? or is this something that is not really multi-threaded?

Yes, chrome is heavily threaded. With only a single tab open, I'm seeing 11 threads in my process manager. Though this is somewhat adjustable in advanced chrome "flag" settings. Every additional tab adds at least 1 new thread, sometimes more depending on the contents of the page.

On a fast internet connection, reloading a bunch of tabs, or launching a whole bookmarks folder worth of tabs will absolutely peg 100% utilization on all 8 cores of the overclocked 8350 I use in my primary workstation for a few seconds.

More cores is certainly useful for "heavy" web browsing.

would say not. More memory will help with multiple chrome tabs. Multiple cores help with running multiple different tasks at once (multi-tasking), and for rendering and design software.

Multiple internet tabs will rely mainly on internet connection speed and memory...

I thought the same but then I did a test and the performance monitor showed all 8 threads on an i7 being used when I refreshed all the tabs, but only 6gb of 12gb ram was being used. So now i'm a bit confused.

https://************.com/forums/topic/104689-do-more-cpu-cores-help-with-chrome-tabs

Soldato

I’m not sure it’s BF sales. Availability has improved and a new CPU launched. I think BF numbers will be reflected next month.

Associate
Permabanned
if they start to plough more cores into Mainstream desktop and games for example start to be more core/thread dependent, do they not run the risk of making CPU's such as the 3600 obsolete a lot quicker?

Yes. The six-core 3600 technically is only half of the twelve-core 3900X.
If we go back to the period when quad-core CPU had dominated, from 2008 to 2017, it would approximately correspond to having a dual-core CPU.

We should purchase CPUs with more cores, preferably 8, 12 and more, while in return AMD will benefit with more sales of its new technology, while we will get better user experience - higher productivity levels, more life-like gaming environments, modern not out-of-date technology, etc.

Caporegime
OP
Yes. The six-core 3600 technically is only half of the twelve-core 3900X.
If we go back to the period when quad-core CPU had dominated, from 2008 to 2017, it would approximately correspond to having a dual-core CPU.

We should purchase CPUs with more cores, preferably 8, 12 and more, while in return AMD will benefit with more sales of its new technology, while we will get better user experience - higher productivity levels, more life-like gaming environments, modern not out-of-date technology, etc.

So AMD up the core count massively in the mainstream and you hate on them because their entry level mainstream £175 CPU 'only' has 6 cores, with SMT!

Have you looked at the crap Intel are still flogging in the sub £200 bracket lately? https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/processors/intel/core-i5

Look at this 4/4 junk for £150 https://www.overclockers.co.uk/intel-core-i3-8300-3.7ghz-coffee-lake-socket-lga1151-processor-retail-cp-64s-in.html

What £150 use is that ^^^ to anyone? That's a £99 CPU.

Back
Top Bottom