• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Polaris architecture – GCN 4.0

Soldato
OP
AMD Shows “Enthusiast” Polaris GPU To Journalists At CES 2016

Read more: http://wccftech.com/amd-shows-enthusiast-polaris-ces/#ixzz3wz1wT4XK

AMD has reportedly just revealed its 2nd Polaris GPU, an “enthusiast” class chip to succeed the R9 Fury X and R9 390X graphics cards. This update comes in via Tweaktown, who report to have been shown a second Polaris GPU besides the small Polaris chip that AMD has already demoed against Nvidia’s GTX 950 last week.

Soldato
OP
AMD Unveils “Polaris 11” And “Polaris 10” GPUs – To Deliver The “most revolutionary jump in performance so far”

Read more: http://wccftech.com/amd-unveils-polaris-11-10-gpu/#ixzz3xQyWdqsX

AMD’s Raja Koduri unveiled two next generation 14nm GPUs, dubbed Polaris 11 and Polaris 10, to power high-end desktops and bring console-class gaming performance to notebooks. Both of these graphics processing units are based on AMD’s recently announced next generation”Polaris” graphics architecture. Which features the high performance Samsung/Globalfoundries 14LPP FinFET manufacturing process technology

Soldato
OP
Got a feeling Fury cards will coexist with the first upcoming Polaris cards, so we'll see a new high end flagship as well as a low power card more budget card and Nano Fury and Fury X etc will co exist at least for a while until stock is depleted. The 39X cards will likely be phased out sooner than the current Fury ones. Then later over the next year we'll see the whole stack replaced with die shrunk cards.

New stack will look like this at first imho.

Fury X 'X2' (Dual GPU) Aimed at VR.
Polaris (Single GPU) Flagship
Fury X (High End)
Fury / Nano (Mid / High)
Polaris 'lightweight' (Single GPU) Energy efficient low - mid end)

39X cards phased out first..

Then more cards released over next year and a whole new stack completed.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Picking up a Radeon Nano, something to play with until the Nano X (Polaris) comes out :p

I really liked the Fury X but the Eeeeee sound was a deal breaker. Gone for the Sapphire Nano, hopefully will be Eeeee free.

Soldato
OP
Haha guys, I am a GPU whore it's no secret I like to try them and then discard them for the next thing :p. Always said I would pick up a Nano when the priced dropped. Good time to get one now mess with for next few months until the big boys launch. I would like to see a Nano 2 in Polaris, maybe 8GB HBM 2.0. Same tiny form factor low power etc.

Soldato
OP
So the real deal high end replacements for Fiji / 980 Ti etc aren't coming until next year?

Should we expect these cards to outperform Fury X / 980 Ti?

The first round of milking in June then :p

My Nano is gonna be the card I've had longest at this rate. That's not a bad thing (For my wallet).

Soldato
OP
AMD release an 8 core Zen, with 2048 shader GPU onboard and 8gb HBM2 as shared memory... We can only dream.

Would love this, much lower over all power use. Tiny cases etc, this will be the future eventually. The future is fusion :p

Didn't I read something like this 8 years ago?? :D :p

Yeah but aren't we living it now? Things like the PS4, Xbox One use an all in one AMD chip, mobile, tablet etc use all in one SOC from various sources. The future was fusion and now we are living in it lol.

Desktop PC will likely be the last to take on mainstream all in one chips, but it will happen eventually, the appeal of a low power all in one chip that can actually game is not lost on me.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Nooooo Amd need the money which comes with market share, and I hope it's at least 50/50 by this time next year.

Lol, that's a dream mate. AMD need to work hard just to get back to 30% / 40% market share within a year.

AMD have done what they set out to do though, and that was to generate income from areas other than just traditional desktop PC. All these console wins are a boon to them. Console sales have been really good this gen so it's only good for AMD. I believe if they can get the next launch of desktop PC GPU's right, they could get back to 35% market share in a year+. They would have to be very very good though. That aside it looks like AMD will make some noise in the desktop CPU space with Zen and also the server side, so things are def on the up and up.

Soldato
OP
AMD must have costs and yields well under control, and expect no production constraints at all (i.e. can make however many the market demands) .....

... looks very likely PS4k will have a full P10, which is surprisingly excellent, especially as it's expected this autumn.

Wouldn't surprise me if the P10 is their biggest selling high performance desktop gpu design ever. Apple and Sony will swallow countless millions alone.

Yar, looking forward to the new PS4. Will def pick one up if it has a new GPU that is a decent upgrade. My old PS4 will go straight to CEX :p

Back
Top Bottom