• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Polaris architecture – GCN 4.0

bru

bru

Soldato
I only posted the two TROH, to show flopper, that his comment about no sane person would buy a 980ti compared to a Nano, was more likely it was the person who said it and not the buyer, being not quite so sane.

As for the laptops getting ready to ship. Well that is great news, certainly a little earlier than I expected, depends on when they actually hit retail though and of course assuming that they are the new 14nm parts. (I really do hope so)

I will say one thing for WCCFTech, this chart at the bottom of that article is one of the best I've ever seen, it really did make me chuckle.

bestAMDchartever.jpg

Soldato
The systems in question are Lenovo’s brand new 15 inch and 14 inch YOGA 510 laptops, which will sell under the Flex 4 name in the US. Both the 15 inch and 14 inch version can be configured with dedicated AMD Radeon 400 series graphics cards. The former can be equipped with an R7 M460 and the latter with an R5 M430.

I be suprised to note that they are Polaris made.

I saw a guy here defend nvidia and a 980ti buy so insane.
Why would anyone buy such and then defend such in a AMD thread?

The Nano kick so much rear end its beyond belief.

Polaris, brighter then ever
Nano nano

Associate

Nano nano

lol the reply has nothing to do with the quote, im kinda lost

Soldato
HDR is coming.
Nano is the best card this generation and no sane individual buy a 980ti,

Please stop trolling. The 980ti is a fantastic card and has been extremely popular since it's release date, many months ago.

I would say that buying one today for £500 is a bit unwise, as the new cards will be here soon, though some people don't want to wait and that's also fine. Maybe the new cards will be further delayed.

The Nano isn't the best card this generation, it's one of the worst for mainstream users.

Why?

1. It was very expensive for the level of performance until recently.
2. It's whole selling point it it's size - though as the majority still use a large case, this isn't a benefit at all. Of course for portable cases it's great, but niche market.
3. Lack of HDMI 2.0 - massive failure by AMD, as this card is perfect for a HTPC.
4. It's performance is very similar to a 290X/390X - not many want to "upgrade" for 5% more performance.
5. Only 4GB VRAM limits the time it will be able to run games maxed out at high resolution.

Man of Honour

Nano nano

GTX 980 Ti is the best all round high end card available at the moment.

The only card better is the TitanX.

The bottom line is you can buy a 980 Ti for 65% the cost of a TX but with 95% of the performance of a TX.

If anyone wants to buy a 980 Ti now, it is still a good option as it's performance will not be much less than the first mid range Pascal and Polaris cards which will probably retail for much the same as a 980 Ti.

Soldato
Please stop trolling. The 980ti is a fantastic card and has been extremely popular since it's release date, many months ago.

I would say that buying one today for £500 is a bit unwise, as the new cards will be here soon, though some people don't want to wait and that's also fine. Maybe the new cards will be further delayed.

The Nano isn't the best card this generation, it's one of the worst for mainstream users.

Why?

1. It was very expensive for the level of performance until recently.
2. It's whole selling point it it's size - though as the majority still use a large case, this isn't a benefit at all. Of course for portable cases it's great, but niche market.
3. Lack of HDMI 2.0 - massive failure by AMD, as this card is perfect for a HTPC.
4. It's performance is very similar to a 290X/390X - not many want to "upgrade" for 5% more performance.
5. Only 4GB VRAM limits the time it will be able to run games maxed out at high resolution.

+1

LOL, the Ti smashes the Nano to bits. :p

+2

If the r9 fury or nano was closer to £300 with availability months ago it would have been a card most people would have bought who wanted to upgrade.

No one says Amd are rubbish it's just their marketing and releases that fail them, and drivers for new releases could be a bit better.

Man of Honour
If the r9 fury or nano was closer to £300 with availability months ago it would have been a card most people would have bought who wanted to upgrade.

No one says Amd are rubbish it's just their marketing and releases that fail them, and drivers for new releases could be a bit better.

+1

With the Fury X AMD should have allowed AIB partners to use their own coolers. This would have got around the problems with whine and would also have reduced the cost of the cards. Some of the AIB partners would also have produced AIO coolers anyway in the same way that it has happened for the 980 Ti.

Soldato
+1

With the Fury X AMD should have allowed AIB partners to use their own coolers. This would have got around the problems with whine and would also have reduced the cost of the cards. Some of the AIB partners would also have produced AIO coolers anyway in the same way that it has happened for the 980 Ti.

Problem with the Fury and Nano is that it was only ever a stopgap at the end of 28nm just to get to Polaris. I'd not be surprised if they have a short life.

Associate
Problem with the Fury and Nano is that it was only ever a stopgap at the end of 28nm just to get to Polaris. I'd not be surprised if they have a short life.

+1

I said this ages ago. Fiji was a 1st steps experiment into HBM technology which was originally aimed at beating the best Nvidia card out at the time (GTX980) and it did so. However, Nvidia had a sneaky trick up it's sleeve and produced a Titan X with a little bit nibbled off it and chucked it out at a power/performance price that was just way too good to be true just before the Fiji cards surfaced.

In truth it was a masterstroke of marketing and shrewdness....even if it did annoy those who bought a Titan X only a few months before.

I hope the Fiji cards life is not too short....as I bought one :p Mind you it runs brilliantly and does what I want it to do. Very excited about the Polaris/Pascal stuff coming out in 2016/17 though.
:D

Back
Top Bottom