• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Polaris architecture – GCN 4.0

Caporegime
I have a feeling NV will flop somehow this pascal release/lineup. AMD showed the chips in december closed doors, and demoed them in january while nv had nothing so far.
Its just a feeling could be false.

AMD could use some time to build momentum and get back some market share.

I don't think that's going to be the case tbh. Maxwell has been *such* a hit for nVidia I think the market is pretty saturated with existing owners and I think they'll be willing to wait the extra 3-4 months for the new nV cards to come in order to compare the performance.

Hope I'm wrong though, AMD do need the sales!!

Soldato
Polaris is brighter than ever shining light upon those with faith.

What's on the other side of a Black Hole, where does happiness go when we grow older, is fusion viable and why don't horses just jump over the fences that keep them in? The Universe is filled with mysteries we may never answer, but perhaps none is so great as that of why flopper keeps ending their posts with mystical comments about brightness in the future.

This one's for you, Flopper: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qrriKcwvlY

Associate
I don't think that's going to be the case tbh. Maxwell has been *such* a hit for nVidia I think the market is pretty saturated with existing owners and I think they'll be willing to wait the extra 3-4 months for the new nV cards to come in order to compare the performance.

Hope I'm wrong though, AMD do need the sales!!

Well as it seems they are aiming the low and midrange first, that's where they can sell the mass, and in that segment people are not that enthusiastic, they just chose the best for their money. (or ask the "professional" buddy...in which case they will get a maxwell instead of the new polaris :rolleyes:...as i know most "professionals" who assemble computers)

Associate
with regards to that speculation image ... why would AMD bother releasing more 28nm cards at this point ? ( excluding fury x2) unless its a modified fury x with 8GB HBM2

Isn't polaris meant to be 16nm / 14nm ?

Still not seeing anything that is persuading me that I will need to upgrade from a single fury x this year

Also nice VR video gregster / alamo X *

Soldato
Well the cards that will replace the top end will come late in the year or next year.

Both companies seem to be downplaying them for now and trying to get people excited for the midrange tat. Ooooh, lower power consumption! Yawn. They want us to buy a card with similar performance but lower power usage or newer features. Don't fall for it this time. Save those pennies for the big boys, you've got plenty of time to scrape together the cash too.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well the cards that will replace the top end will come late in the year or next year.

Both companies seem to be downplaying them for now and trying to get people excited for the midrange tat. Ooooh, lower power consumption! Yawn. They want us to buy a card with similar performance but lower power usage or newer features. Don't fall for it this time. Save those pennies for the big boys, you've got plenty of time to scrape together the cash too.

Yup, I feel this way too. Think I'm gonna get a pair of Ti Hybrids to tide me over (instead of going full WC) :cool:

Associate

i dont agree, even if perf isn't going to be much higher than current gen, you still get Important features, like HDR, DP1.3 4k@120hz, and smaller form factor, 8/16Go HBM2 card, i would take a polaris 11 any day over 980Ti, even if it's lower perf, because to me the GPU features have way more value than ~10% performance.

Soldato
i dont agree, even if perf isn't going to be much higher than current gen, you still get Important features, like HDR, DP1.3 4k@120hz, and smaller form factor, 8/16Go HBM2 card, i would take a polaris 11 any day over 980Ti, even if it's lower perf, because to me the GPU features have way more value than ~10% performance.

I would not buy a new card just for features, so I agree with Orangey, A new card with a lot more performance and features will get my £500.

bru

bru

Soldato

So you would prefer features that you cannot use at the moment over more performance, well it is up to you.

Soldato
On the subject of xfire and sli, I wonder why they didn't work on implementing an abstraction layer between the hardware and the OS, so that the OS sees the hardware as a single card, and it is up to the abstraction layer to handle the processing of the data at the hardware level. (I.e splitting the workload across multiple cores)

Of course an abstraction layer would add a little bit of overhead, but as long as the overhead was less than the current multi GPU overhead, then it would be win win. And no more Xfire/SLI issues as the data handed too and from the GPU is as if it was coming from a single card.

And even then, even if there was a reduction in fps by 5% over the classic xfire/sli implementation, the fact that the abstraction layer is removing the other scaling and non compatibility that some games have with multi gpu setups might be worth the trade off.

---

This abstraction layer could even be hardware.

Last edited:
Soldato
So you would prefer features that you cannot use at the moment over more performance, well it is up to you.

HDR is coming.
Nano is the best card this generation and no sane individual buy a 980ti,
Why buy old tech, the nano offers HBM and a power envelope to dream for with a size to match.

Most actually buy their cards for stuff that is coming vs old tech like the 980ti.
Mantle, VR, Dx12, Vulkan, HDR its all new stuff that AMD has the better latency vs the maxwell as VR is highly depending on latency being low and the 980ti cant do what AMD can do with their Fiji Fury.

so one company forces you to upgrade due to not being new tech and your happy about that after buying a 980ti?
go figure.

Associate
First AMD Radeon 400 Series GPUs To Start Selling In April

The systems in question are Lenovo’s brand new 15 inch and 14 inch YOGA 510 laptops, which will sell under the Flex 4 name in the US. Both the 15 inch and 14 inch version can be configured with dedicated AMD Radeon 400 series graphics cards. The former can be equipped with an R7 M460 and the latter with an R5 M430.

cHzHFOM.jpg

wccftech for the full article

not that many infos on lenovo website, other than they are 400 series, probably polaris, personally im surprised AMD is getting polaris out this soon, even if they are really low end ones.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
it was when it was £350, now its back up to £430 I would take a Fury (nonX) over a Nano
and if it was purely about saving money a 390 is still better "value" than any of these

Back
Top Bottom