• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Polaris architecture – GCN 4.0

Don
It doesn't make any sense. Hynix is developing the standard, and they license production to Samsung. So Hynix is waiting several quarters to start production while Samsung is pumping volumes out already.

I thought it was adopted as an industry standard under JEDEC a couple of years ago, I presumed that you did not need to license anything thanks to Hynix/AMD.

Sure someone can clarify :)

Soldato
Samsung probably would have been online even earlier but had to shift around capacity and deal with more (bigger) logistical issues.

They produce a huge portion of the world's RAM and other commodities. Not as nimble. Presumably though Hynix are not in a position to do the kind of loss-leading and speculative ramping as Samsung.

Associate
What? How is it not an issue? VR games don't just magically work in crossfire, they still need support - are there any VR games that actually support multi-GPU right now?

Both AMD and Nvidia have released additional API's for enabling per-eye SLI/Crossfire, but no game is actually using them yet, so yes game support is still a massive issue for VR

In theory the claim is that as VR must allow for rendering per-eye that can be fairly directly translated to one GPU per eye thus 2-way xfirex/sli is easy.

bru

bru

Soldato

3GB DDR3 256bit

That doesn't make a lot of sense, surely if it was a DDR3 part it wouldn't be using a 256bit bus.
Probably a error in the detection of the card and of course if it gets that wrong what else has it got wrong.

AMD's current biggest DDR3 card the R7 250 only has 384 processors, you have to up to a R7 370 (1024 processors) before you get to the first 256bit card.

Soldato
What die size was little Polaris meant to have?

Somewhere around 150. Something to do with Raja's fingers.

3GB DDR3 256bit

That doesn't make a lot of sense, surely if it was a DDR3 part it wouldn't be using a 256bit bus.
Probably a error in the detection of the card and of course if it gets that wrong what else has it got wrong.

The guy said memory detection is broken for AMD but all else is (presumably) fine.

Last edited:
Associate
AMD Radeon Pro Duo, the child of Radeon and FirePro

You probably heard about Radeon R9 Fury X2 or Fiji Gemini, but it appears the official name is *allegedly* slightly different.

RADEON PRO DUO would essentially be a Radeon card with FirePro capabilities. It is unclear what exactly would be shared between the series, but Radeon Pro Duo is clearly a different product. It is said to become the fastest gaming card on the market and offer best VR experience to date. This is probably where FirePro features are necessary, as this card would is not only designed for gamers, but also game developers (that’s why we saw so many teasers of FNW Tiki systems allegedly powered by dual-Fiji graphics).

RADEON PRO DUO would look almost exactly like Fury X2 with Cooler Master water cooling solution. It is however slightly longer card, and it requires three power connectors (most likely 8-pin).

RADEON PRO DUO will be unveiled on March 14th, but the card will be available in 1 to 2 months after announcement.

To make this story even more interesting I have actually found a trace of Radeon Pro Duo on AMD website, but the link is not working. This can’t be a coincidence, also it would explain missing ‘R9’ prefix. In other words, this information is very plausible. Stay tuned for more.
Videocardz

i hope the final name would be better than Radeon Pro Duo :D
gotta admit i am a bit curious to know more

Last edited:
Soldato
You probably heard about Radeon R9 Fury X2 or Fiji Gemini, but it appears the official name is *allegedly* slightly different.

RADEON PRO DUO would essentially be a Radeon card with FirePro capabilities. It is unclear what exactly would be shared between the series, but Radeon Pro Duo is clearly a different product. It is said to become the fastest gaming card on the market and offer best VR experience to date. This is probably where FirePro features are necessary, as this card would is not only designed for gamers, but also game developers (that’s why we saw so many teasers of FNW Tiki systems allegedly powered by dual-Fiji graphics).

RADEON PRO DUO would look almost exactly like Fury X2 with Cooler Master water cooling solution. It is however slightly longer card, and it requires three power connectors (most likely 8-pin).

RADEON PRO DUO will be unveiled on March 14th, but the card will be available in 1 to 2 months after announcement.

To make this story even more interesting I have actually found a trace of Radeon Pro Duo on AMD website, but the link is not working. This can’t be a coincidence, also it would explain missing ‘R9’ prefix. In other words, this information is very plausible. Stay tuned for more.
Videocardz

i hope the final name would be better than Radeon Pro Duo :D
gotta admit i am a bit curious to know more

Of course, the AMD VR solution is superior due to the low latency Fiji can do that Maxwell 980ti cant do due to lacking that in hardware (another feature missing along with async compute).

Polaris looks like a really great start for AMD with Zen coming along later.
HBM2 cards are likely due in sep-nov timeframe.

The future is indeed brighter with AMD.

Associate
AMD Will Launch Polaris 10 and Polaris 11 GPUs in June – Aims to Make the ‘Minimum VR Spec’ More Affordable

http://wccftech.com/amd-polaris-gpus-launch-june/

Let's hope it goes better than this.

1329331725_rocket_pack_launch_fail.gif

Back
Top Bottom