• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Polaris architecture – GCN 4.0

Caporegime
We have also previously heard reports that atleast one of the Polaris GPUs will be around 232mm². According to the information we have about the 14nm LPP process, and based on transistor density increase, a 232mm² GPU would be roughly equivalent to a 464mm² 28nm processor – at the same

Put that into perspective a 390X is 438mm²

Associate
I hope a Hawaii sized Polaris comes this year.

And AMD, please, for the love of gaben, don't screw up this launch with crappy reference coolers, ktnxbye.

Caporegime
Let's hope it goes better than this.

1329331725_rocket_pack_launch_fail.gif

:D

Associate
We have also previously heard reports that atleast one of the Polaris GPUs will be around 232mm². According to the information we have about the 14nm LPP process, and based on transistor density increase, a 232mm² GPU would be roughly equivalent to a 464mm² 28nm processor – at the same

Put that into perspective a 390X is 438mm²

They keep forgetting TSMC's 16FF+ is 2x the density of 28nm, but Samsung/GloFo 14LPP is 'up to' 2.3x. Source from this article.

So the 232mm2 chip could be equivalent to a 533mm2 28nm chip. Plus add in architectural improvements, maybe 10% more performance per transistor? We can dream at least, right?

Be nice if the bigger chip they're about to launch matches the Fury X and is $349.

Last edited:
Soldato
The mid Polaris part should match or exceed the furyx while being able to make near enough full use of all of its theoretical performance. And remember that Fiji has far more theoretical performance than gm100.

Soldato
Yes that why in some dx12 games we seing the 390/x doing so well it's theoretical performance is close to a 980ti I think it is just over 5tflops about the same as a 980ti i think of top of my head.

Mei

Mei

Soldato
im expecting 390 performance at half the power and a cheaper price
bcos..well...thats what they said is coming...or strongly hinted :)

Soldato
Of course, the AMD VR solution is superior due to the low latency Fiji can do that Maxwell 980ti cant do due to lacking that in hardware (another feature missing along with async compute).

Polaris looks like a really great start for AMD with Zen coming along later.
HBM2 cards are likely due in sep-nov timeframe.

The future is indeed brighter with AMD.

Fiji also misses some DX12 hardware support, so as always there's pro's and cons with the current gen from both vendors.

Soldato
I think around R9 390X level performance at around £200 onwards but with some improvements to DX11 performance too.

If they can make full use of the theoretical performance of Hawaii number of cores in GCN4, then AMD will be laughing all the way to the bank if they price it at £200+ bracket.

Just have to look at the hitman DX12 benchmarks to see that. Hawaii has always had similar theoretical performance to GM100. Just never been able to make use of it till Async compute.

Soldato
That would be the most pathetic new generation of all time, if it achieves only 390X performance at £200.

A stock 390X is a few fps shy of a 38% overclocked 980TI in Hitman DX12. And as i said above, with the improvements in GCN4, if it makes use of the theoretical performance then it will be a very, very good part for £200+.

Soldato
Do you guys think this die shrink is going to bring in a big mhz improvement too? I know CPU's stopped getting big mhz improvements with die shrinks but im just wondering if it will still work on GPU's.

For instance just a die shrink on a Fuji 4096 core, then a extra 300mhz would be a nice 30% improvement surely?

That would be the most pathetic new generation of all time, if it achieves only 390X performance at £200.

How so? a £200 would be low-mid range, so 390x performance at that price point would be great. Not to mention its almost as fast as a 980ti @ DX12.

However, everyone goes on about DX12 performance, yet by the time all games use DX12 no one will be using a 390x. Hell some of my games still use DX9, and one just had a "massive" upgrade moving to DX11.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom