• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD POLARIS RX-480 IN STOCK: THE PERFECT GAMING UPGRADE!!

Associate
Over 1000 now sold! :)

Interesting how all the 4GB models sold out so quick.

Do you thing it's just that £170-£180 is the sweet spot for most main stream buyers now, or were there a lot less of the 4GB models? Maybe there's a lot of people out there trying to build cheap media PC's.

If AMD got the price of the 8GB model down to £180 and 4GB £165, I wonder if the 4GB's would still sell first because people are just trying to spend as little as possible.

Soldato

Do you thing it's just that £170-£180 is the sweet spot for most main stream buyers now, or were there a lot less of the 4GB models? Maybe there's a lot of people out there trying to build cheap media PC's.

If AMD got the price of the 8GB model down to £180 and 4GB £165, I wonder if the 4GB's would still sell first because people are just trying to spend as little as possible.

I doubt Amd will do that as there $ price is already really low. The 480 8gb is priced the exact same as the 380x was at launch ($229). If the £ bounces back you will see much better pricing for these in the UK. As it stands now the UK pricing looks worse not because of Amd but because of the weak £.

Soldato

Sub £200 is definitely the sweet spot for this market. Shame the Brexit caused a price rise here in the UK.

Soldato

I think it's simply that whilst 8GB is a nice to have and it has the memory clocked a very small amount higher, most people recognize that 4GB is enough for the foreseeable future. I still have a 285 which only has 2GB, and it's still fine at 1080 for me.

Soldato
I'm not saying it's a flop, but AMD launch a new card and everyone piles in to discuss... promo girls ... and cuddly dragons... and Gibbo's mugshot... and Simon Belmont just has to be different, claiming the girl is a munter. :D

Gibbo never mind your ;) nonsense, where's the 1080ti thread!

Soldato
Over 1000 now sold! :)

God.... colour me surprised sir.

I thought these cards have been a massive let-down... power consumption / performance wise.

But I guess for people coming from much older cards like gtx 760 etc 7950+ this is probably a great deal. I'm going to hold out for the after market ones, maybe they will be better clocks and cooling.

Can't wait for the AIB cards. The 6 pin and poor coolers are definitely holding the card back.

This.

Last edited:
Soldato
God.... colour me surprised sir.

I thought these cards have been a massive let-down... power consumption / performance wise.

But I guess for people coming from much older cards like gtx 760 etc 7950+ this is probably a great deal. I'm going to hold out for the after market ones, maybe they will be better clocks and cooling.

I'm still on a 6870, so that's why I'm interested in these. Little disappointed with the talk of power consumption and heat though, I have a Dell XPS 8300 currently so it's just an OEM PSU and one case fan. That said, I can't imagine its any worse than the 6870 is for power and temps.

Soldato

Plenty of people running 1080p and the 4gb one to me would be perfect for that. It's what I'd have got.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm still on a 6870, so that's why I'm interested in these. Little disappointed with the talk of power consumption and heat though, I have a Dell XPS 8300 currently so it's just an OEM PSU and one case fan. That said, I can't imagine its any worse than the 6870 is for power and temps.

In your case this card is a great deal, but the blower fans are a bit tacky.... I wonder how well these cards could OC if they had a water block on.

DHR

DHR

Soldato
Has anyone here actually tested the power consumption?

a) Is it a dodgy batch of cards
b) Fixable via the drivers
c) FUD spread by people who insist on taking sides?

Soldato

For you this will be a great upgrade. I came from a 6870 to a 290 oc which is pretty much the same performance as the RX480. It's night and day.

Soldato
Think I'll hold off a while until the power draw through the PCI-e connector is fully explained, last thing I need to do is damage my motherboard.

I would not be getting the stock cooled version anyway. The aib ones will be a long soonish with way better cooling and this power situation should not be a problem with them.

Back
Top Bottom