• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD POLARIS RX-480 IN STOCK: THE PERFECT GAMING UPGRADE!!

Associate
Has anyone here actually tested the power consumption?

a) Is it a dodgy batch of cards
b) Fixable via the drivers
c) FUD spread by people who insist on taking sides?

Not many people have the equipment to test the GPU power draw on both the motherboard & psu line unfortunately

Soldato
Sub £200 is definitely the sweet spot for this market. Shame the Brexit caused a price rise here in the UK.

I'll be happy with £220 for custom cooler. Anymore and I'll just stick with my recently purchased PS4 :p

Or look at the 1060 depending on it's price

OCUK won't be too bothered though, so we have to hope pound goes up again!

OcUK Staff
OP
I'll be happy with £220 for custom cooler. Anymore and I'll just stick with my recently purchased PS4 :p

Or look at the 1060 depending on it's price

OCUK won't be too bothered though, so we have to hope pound goes up again!

Custom won't be 220 LOL, they cost more than reference so will sell for quite a bit more as we had so little margin on reference cards in first place.

All reference will move to 229 today as well in line with our competitors as we have stock and we know soon stock will be all gone and there is no more for 2-3 weeks.

DHR

DHR

Soldato
It's that £50 that makes the difference for me reference for £200 or AIB for £250. Totally unsure as to what to do now.

Soldato
It's that £50 that makes the difference for me reference for £200 or AIB for £250. Totally unsure as to what to do now.

The extra £50 will be money well spent, you will get a much cooler quieter card with a higher overclock thus better performance and generally they can be pushed even higher for even more performance.

DHR

DHR

Soldato
The extra £50 will be money well spent, you will get a much cooler quieter card with a higher overclock thus better performance and generally they can be pushed even higher for even more performance.

Suppose if the 1060 is meant to be around the same price point too, i'll believe that when I see it though.

Associate
i know they have 1 DVI/2hdmi/2dp
but i hope they come with different power delivery, 8pin or 2x6pin

Gibbo has confirmed in another thread that 8-Pin will be present on the Sapphire cards.

I would probably pay a £40-£60 premium on the 4GB card to have the better power and cooling (as that's what a bespoke cooler will cost anyway), but i highly doubt that will ever be available.

Gibbo, i'm assuming all AIBs will be 8GB only. XFX sometimes go for the cheaper market, but even they will probably stick to 8GB if that's all AMD are going to supply.

Caporegime
Custom won't be 220 LOL, they cost more than reference so will sell for quite a bit more as we had so little margin on reference cards in first place.

All reference will move to 229 today as well in line with our competitors as we have stock and we know soon stock will be all gone and there is no more for 2-3 weeks.

No stock for 2-3 weeks doesn't sound great. Nice first day stock though.

Soldato

Maybe at Christmas, £220 is what reference should have been though.

Maybe I'll go with a 4GB, should be fine for 1080p right?

Better do your work in Munich ;)

Caporegime
Yup but it came with 3.5GB of ram.. These come with 8GB and are better in DX12. DX12 is the future and give AMD time to refine their drivers too and the card in today's financial landscape looks good value.

Also don't forget that at launch the pound/dollar exchange rate was 1.64 on 18th sept 2004 release date. Take £229 into dollars at 1.64 is $375.5. Now redo that at today's rate which is 1.33 and you get £282. Not to mention that 970 went up significantly from launch date to way higher prices. As I think Sean was saying, the number of people who got 970's at such a low price was tiny.

Account for exchange rate the 970 was significantly more expensive and gained very little performance over time. If you have a card today you've played most of the games up to today. You buy more powerful cards because games till now you're getting a bit disappointed with performance and want more for the next games you'll play(at least this is true for most people). Future games, all the biggest most graphically advanced and most demanding games will be DX12. Before much driver optimisation yet the RX480 already spanks the 970 in DX12.

RX480 will destroy a 970 in DX12 and in some of the newer DX11 titles. In Hitman the RX480 beats the 970 by 22% at 1440p in DX11, it is 29% faster than the 970 at 1440p in DX12.

Three new mainstream consoles are coming out, both current consoles are being updated with nearly double the performance using Polaris architecture, Xbox also introducing the Scorpio using Vega.

Today in games optimised properly for both AMD and Nvidia architectures, the RX480 is beating 970 by a large margin. In older games, most of which we've played and most of which we've had the performance we need, the 970 is competitive, in most games going forward it will not be at all.

I would put money on their being more than a few games where in DX12 the RX480 will be 40%+ faster than a 970. Being that much faster it's clear the RX480 beats a 980 easily in Hitman also. 30% faster in Hitman, today, with a game that doesn't even fully utilise Polaris yet, that is what the hardware is capable of and it's £62 cheaper than the 970 was at launch(accounting for the exchange rate).

OcUK Staff
OP
Sapphire Nitro will be 249 delivered at OcUK as Sapphire giving us support and OcUK is first to order world wide, I've taken 2000 to start with, this card gonna sell like crazy!!!

DHR

DHR

Soldato
Sapphire Nitro will be 249 delivered at OcUK as Sapphire giving us support and OcUK is first to order world wide, I've taken 2000 to start with, this card gonna sell like crazy!!!

Seriously need to get a link sorted for me today.... I might be able to calm down now and stop jumping between this and the 1060 :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom