AMD Promo Bundle - AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Gigabyte X370-Gaming K7, Team Group RAM *FREE 480GB SSD*

Caporegime
Thanks for the reply. What i do not understand is why it was attached to the heatsink in the first place, it was well and truly firmly stuck. My other thought is if the motherboard was flashed with the latest bios before shipment this return process would not have had to happen.

Did it come from ouck with the heat sink attached?

Associate
OP
huh? you don't know why it was attached to the heat sink in the first place? because you left it attached surely......it doubt it jumped out of it's packaging in transit and attached itself to the heatsink.

i get where you're coming from on that but it's never going to fly. you should never have returned the cpu that way.
No i mean i don't understand why it would not seperate from the heatsink, it was well and truly firmly stuck that is why i had to send it back attached.

Soldato
No i mean i don't understand why it would not seperate from the heatsink, it was well and truly firmly stuck that is why i had to send it back attached.
ah ok, because the tim acted as a bond between the 2. heating it up slightly would have allowed you to separate them. were you even required to return the cpu and heatsink?

either way it's relatively irrelevant. you aren't going to get any redress from OcUK or the courier company (unless as i said you have pics of the packing showing the 2 to be securely packaged and protected)

i'd suggest your only hope is a home insurance claim.

Soldato
Thanks for the reply. What i do not understand is why it was attached to the heatsink in the first place, it was well and truly firmly stuck. My other thought is if the motherboard was flashed with the latest bios before shipment this return process would not have had to happen.

i have this bundle and it is updated with the latest bios.

Oddney, did your box have any ryzen 2000 support sticker on there ? And like wise with ianshep , if you can remember ?
If one did and one didn't , the. Picking error, if both did or didn't have sticker then someone has messed up the flashing and labelling

Soldato
Oddney, did your box have any ryzen 2000 support sticker on there ? And like wise with ianshep , if you can remember ?
If one did and one didn't , the. Picking error, if both did or didn't have sticker then someone has messed up the flashing and labelling
i think how or why the op's motherboard was or wasn't flashed to the latest bios is a rather moot point now.

Soldato
No. I applied the heatsink to the CPU but because the motherboard showed no signs of life it was determined that the board needed an updated bios. And so i had to return like that.
Really wish you have had actually asked for advice on the forum when you found that you were unable to separate the CPU cooler from the CPU.

Most of us would have easily told you that you would need to heat/warm up the thermal paste/compound to soften/loosen it to separate the cooler from the CPU, and the CPU would have remained on the motherboard intact without damage to the pins etc...

Soldato
i think how or why the op's motherboard was or wasn't flashed to the latest bios is a rather moot point now.

True, but cases like this as horrid as it sounds helps so this shouldn't happen again , or better support is offered or aftercare etc .

Really wish you have had actually asked for advice on the forum when you found that you were unable to separate the CPU cooler from the CPU.

Most of us would have easily told you that you would need to heat/warm up the thermal paste/compound to soften/loosen it to separate the cooler from the CPU, and the CPU would have remained on the motherboard intact without damage to the pins etc...

Still a lot of people would be uneasy taking a hair dryer to a motherboard to heat it all up etc .

-silly me- miss read

Last edited:
Soldato
True, but cases like this as horrid as it sounds helps so this shouldn't happen again , or better support is offered or aftercare etc .
mistakes happen and while i understand your sentiment i don't see what better support or aftercare you expect in a situation like this?
Still a lot of people would be uneasy taking a hair dryer to a motherboard to heat it all up etc .
quite right, but it could be rightly argued that those same people shouldn't be self building pcs!
And did I read right, ocuk won't ship the item back ? When it's fully owned by the purchaser ?
where do you read that? although i could understand if they refused to ship it - i would expect the owner to be arranging their own uplift.

Soldato
@Thekwango - my back- miss read- stupid me !!!

I received an Email from Overclockers today stating that the RMA has been refused due to bent pins, and that they are returning back to me.

quite right, but it could be rightly argued that those same people shouldn't be self building pcs!

then half the posts on here wouldn't exist :)

need more people buying personally, even if mistakes are made, all fall off a bike, didn;t stop anyone from jumping back on otherwise we'd have no cycling lanes

lost count of how many systems this year and still install the damn CPU the wrong way have the times haha

Last edited:
Soldato
then half the posts on here wouldn't exist :)

need more people buying personally, even if mistakes are made, all fall off a bike, didn;t stop anyone from jumping back on otherwise we'd have no cycling lanes

lost count of how many systems this year and still install the damn CPU the wrong way have the times haha
oh without a doubt. as i said in one of my earlier posts in here we all started somewhere - however, there has to be a degree of common sense in place to begin with. if someone isn't competent or confident enough using a haridryer to warm up a heatsink then maybe they shouldn't be rooting round inside a pc! equally, if someone thinks it's ok to send back a cpu still stuck to the underside of a heatsink inside a box it can rattle about in then i fear they are lacking in the basic levels of common sense required to begin the journey that leads to building their own pc.

edit: i don't mean to sound rude op. there are almost certainly things where you excel compared to me for example. but i fear common sense is not your bed friend at present :p

Associate
OP
My box had no sticker on to say that it suppoerted ryzen 2000.

Soldato
Blimey that is some bent pins.

Did OCUK still test motherboard with one of there chips to insure as people said the bios was up to date to accept the CPU type.

Would hate for the OP to get a new CPU and still have issues with the MB.

Associate
OP
Blimey that is some bent pins.

Did OCUK still test motherboard with one of there chips to insure as people said the bios was up to date to accept the CPU type.

Would hate for the OP to get a new CPU and still have issues with the MB.
Yes OCUK have said that they have updated bios.

Back
Top Bottom