• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

So got my power meter to see if my psu is up to this and with 3dmark it pulls in about 700watts maximum. Is there anything in particular I should try running? I'm hoping to get some gaming on Thursday night so I'll see what sort of power various games draw then.

So got my power meter to see if my psu is up to this and with 3dmark it pulls in about 700watts maximum. Is there anything in particular I should try running? I'm hoping to get some gaming on Thursday night so I'll see what sort of power various games draw then.

700 Watts is an insane amount of power for the rig in your sig? to be pulling.

I'm in the market for an R9 290, I came across an XFX DD 290, and then there's a Black Edition DD, the normal DD is substantially cheaper, is it worth getting the Black Edition? Which is around £25 more? Thanks guys.

I cancelled my R9-290. Purely because I remembered that I'll get a load of rainforest vouchers on my birthday and that could influence what I buy. Although seems most cards on there are £30+ over OCUK and others so probably put towards a massive SSD.

Just installed a Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 .. The heat the expels from the top grills is very notable compared t the outgoing Geforce 670 i had, which also uses the windforce array.

Was a bit worried when I fired up Wolfenstein.. game seemed to stutter at first.

Just installed a Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 .. The heat the expels from the top grills is very notable compared t the outgoing Geforce 670 i had, which also uses the windforce array.

Was a bit worried when I fired up Wolfenstein.. game seemed to stutter at first.

Which OC software would you recommend?

Welcome to the dark side Admiral. Using an AMD gpu automatically nets you +100 man points, unless your name is Martini. :p

I'd recommend using MSI Afterburner for overclocking and setting up a custom fan profile, if desired. I'd then copy the settings i use here.

pjHv5IN.jpg

A side exhaust fan can also help remove the heat the Windforce 290 will dump in your case.

The 290 runs very hot especially compared to a 670. The heat being expelled is a good sign it shows the cooler is working correctly just make sure you have good case ventilation.

MSI Afterburner works well for overclocking the 290.

Back
Top Bottom