• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

If your case is up to the job of removing the heat, then yeah sure :)
I suppose that either solution would dump a fair bit of heat into the case anyway. It's just that it's a little easier to manage without the potential headache of one card feeding heat into the other.

You say you wouldn't OC, but you will at some point and it's a bit of crime not to with these cards tbh - xfire or not :)

My reason for going with two cards if using water is mainly down to having a bit more OC headroom (depends on the chip lottery obviously) and well, because two cards look pimp :D

Last edited:
Well it's a positive pressure setup but obv the less heat in the case the better. Is there a non ref with a blower style cooler then?. I think my 780 Gaming was but I can't recall.
A quick review showed that windforce doesn't have great temps anyway.

Oh good shout, just remembered my motherboard lol. Single card it is for now :) what would you do though, tri X for £290 or a 2 month old MSI Gaming OC 290 for £240?

No blower style coolers for these unfortunately.
Could maybe try and buy a couple of dirt cheap, dead HIS IceQ 7950's and nick their blowers? :D

Anyway, don't mind me too much on this one. Plenty of people here are happily rocking two cards and dealing with whatever heat issues if they occur.

Oh good shout, just remembered my motherboard lol. Single card it is for now :) what would you do though, tri X for £290 or a 2 month old MSI Gaming OC 290 for £240?

Oh, well in that case, want a 7990? :D :D

I had a 7990 pre ordered but chickened out and got a 780. It still scares me a bit truth be told, temps, noise and the frame issue but surely that's fixed now?

Back
Top Bottom