• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

Yep it looks excellent, I don't think the OC version is worth the extra £30 though when you can do it yourself. I'm in two minds whether to get that or 'go crazy' and get a Lightning. I enjoyed overclocking the 780 classified and that would give my overclocking needs plenty to tinker with.

Yep it looks excellent, I don't think the OC version is worth the extra £30 though when you can do it yourself. I'm in two minds whether to get that or 'go crazy' and get a Lightning. I enjoyed overclocking the 780 classified and that would give my overclocking needs plenty to tinker with.

Oh god please dont recommend the lightning lol

After seeing the over clocking results there is no danger of that. Hell I think I'd rather setup a small WC loop and OC a reference card for that price. 295X2 it is! No I think the Tri X is still my choice because the noise levels and performance appeal greatly, especially as I'll be stone age gaming this time around on 1080p, but I feel that will only be for a short time.

Last edited:
basically, i had the ref 290 running for a good while, the noise is bearable or was, then i put 2 x 280x in the rig and noticed the diff in noise is very noticable, so i figured get shot of my 290 and get a better cooled 290 without the hassle of trying to rip mine apart to get a better cooling solution.

Currently looking at the MSI 290, with the thought of adding a 2nd in a few months.

basically, i had the ref 290 running for a good while, the noise is bearable or was, then i put 2 x 280x in the rig and noticed the diff in noise is very noticable, so i figured get shot of my 290 and get a better cooled 290 without the hassle of trying to rip mine apart to get a better cooling solution.

Currently looking at the MSI 290, with the thought of adding a 2nd in a few months.

I have two msi 290s and I barely hear them. Keeping two cool is a hassle though and you really need a good bit of space between them. I have to run my 2nd one in te bottom slot of my MB at 4x instead if 16x

Yes mate the next Civ game is using Mantle. The lead graphics programmer for the game is always singing its praises on twitter. I think it's possible that it will offer some of the biggest performance uplifts on Mantle we've seen yet because it is a cpu limited game typically. :cool:

https://twitter.com/JJcoolkl/status/461866944929734656
https://twitter.com/JJcoolkl/status/464809606183919616
https://twitter.com/JJcoolkl/status/466354972385624064
https://twitter.com/JJcoolkl/status/469655823283924992

Interview with the Civ team.

http://community.amd.com/community/...og/2014/05/19/firaxis-why-we-went-with-mantle

Thats a big game and a big thumbs up for Mantle :)

When Mantle is running slow: Profile. Fix my code. When D3D is running slow: Profile. Shrug.
As simple as that eh? nice...
We all need a button ladled "fix my junk for me"

Last edited:
Hello,

Fired up Heaven benchmark and recorded clock speeds and temps. Only realised after a bit that you had to click the benchmark button to start benchmarking...

Max temp of 81 degrees with fan at 61%.

QbjzomW.jpg

Not sure if temps should be lower. What do y'all think?

Benchmarks results were:
FPS: 64.7
Score: 1630
Min FPS: 27.3
Max FPS: 134.4

Last edited:
I have two msi 290s and I barely hear them. Keeping two cool is a hassle though and you really need a good bit of space between them. I have to run my 2nd one in te bottom slot of my MB at 4x instead if 16x

I've just got same CPU as you as it was a very cheap bundle. Can you honestly say you have been limited by it for gaming? I only worry about it for Civ V because I recall that being very cpu intensive and I'll be lacking the grunt of the 4770k.
I also have a budget motherboard so not holding out much hope for an OC past 4.2.

I've just got same CPU as you as it was a very cheap bundle. Can you honestly say you have been limited by it for gaming? I only worry about it for Civ V because I recall that being very cpu intensive and I'll be lacking the grunt of the 4770k.
I also have a budget motherboard so not holding out much hope for an OC past 4.2.

Honesty no not that I've noticed yet. I mean yeah there's the odd title like crysis 3 which I know likes 8 cores and I believe BF4 Multiplayer is the same but it's not a game I play. Things like witcher 2 I'm playing maxed except for aa (not needed at 1440p) and super sampling and getting a solid 60. I have civ v but last time I played it was at 1080 with my 7950's but it was still 60fps if memory serves.
Your board is only 1 model below mine (was watching the thread as I was interested on what mine was worth if I want to get a 3770k) and I'm at 4.6 and that was on air. Haven't seen if I can push it anymore with my H100.

Last edited:
Honesty no not that I've noticed yet. I mean yeah there's the odd title like crysis 3 which I know likes 8 cores and I believe BF4 Multiplayer is the same but it's not a game I play. Things like witcher 2 I'm playing maxed except for aa (not needed at 1440p) and super sampling and getting a solid 60. I have civ v but last time I played it was at 1080 with my 7950's but it was still 60fps if memory serves.
Your board is only 1 model below mine and I'm at 4.6 and that was on air. Haven't seen if I can push it anymore with my H100.

That's encouraging thanks. I'm more of an RPG and strategy player and The Witcher 2 is on my list of titles. I got it in a Steam sale last year I think.
Should be a nifty system anyway with the Tri X.

Yep 1080 hence me taking this route. I was about to press the button on an i7 DC bundle and I'm glad I didn't because I'm looking forward to hopping on the New stuff launching with triple pci e 16x etc.
even if it doesn't translate into much more gaming grunt.

Back
Top Bottom