• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

Soldato
Guys help me out here ...

I currently have an Asus GTX 670 2GB

I also have sitting in a box an Asus R9 290 4GB

Is it worth putting in the 290? I have been so out of the loop on hardware i dont really know if it will be much of an upgrade?

Soldato
Oh so it is ....

I only game at 1080 - as i cant justify a bigger/better monitor etc (first baby is killing the old pennies)

I might get around to slinging it in the pc soon then.

You could sell the baby on the black market and get yourself a nice 1440p monitor? Your missus might not be too happy though.

If it's just sitting there, there's no reason not too :p

Soldato
You could sell the baby on the black market and get yourself a nice 1440p monitor? Your missus might not be too happy though.

If it's just sitting there, there's no reason not too :p

hahaha!

TBH i actually quite like the baby so i am afraid she is going to have to stay.

I did manage to get the misses approval for a new case (mainly for HDD space) as we are killing ours with pictures.....

so the old faithful antec 900 will be going to make room for something like the Corsair 750D

Soldato
Guys help me out here ...

I currently have an Asus GTX 670 2GB

I also have sitting in a box an Asus R9 290 4GB

Is it worth putting in the 290? I have been so out of the loop on hardware i dont really know if it will be much of an upgrade?

Well, I have the 680 GTX and the R9 290. The 290 is a much better performer for me. So I imagine it will be a pretty good upgrade over the 670.

Associate
Anyone tried theirs on GTA V yet? How does it cope?
Single 290 works very well for me, around 90-100fps on mixed high/very high @ 1080p, but crossfire performance is really bad. Constant freezing and 40~% GPU utilisation with crossfire enabled, several people on other forums seem to have the same issue, all with 290 crossfire that works fine with 1 card. Not sure what is causing it, sticking to one card for now.

Soldato
what's up Old Gamer? what card do you have?

i have a sapphire 290 tri-x, and for some reason it will not clock up above 800mhz, i have a 3440x1440 screen and 3770k at 4.1ghz.

ive tried rolling back the drivers overclocking the 290 but makes no difference so im only getting 20 odd fps, im sure if it would clock up to the 1000mhz or higer in oc i will get pretty decent fps at this res

maj

maj

Soldato
Right still no further forward with the problem I mentioned a few pages back. Since buying my R9 290 my monitor will lose input from the card whenever I'm browsing the web causing the screen to go black. If I have music etc playing I can still hear it so I know computer hasn't crashed.

I've tried a HDMI to VGA adapter due to monitor only supporting VGA and this is what causes a glitch during POST and the black screens. I've just tried a DVI-D to VGA adapter that I bought and the monitor doesn't detect an input at all from the card.

What else can I try other than buying a new monitor which I can't afford due to car insurance due end of month. I'm about to give up in frustration.

Back
Top Bottom