1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Orangey, Dec 25, 2013.

1. aceytrixx

Wise Guy

It dies so quickly that the temps are still only at 40 degrees or so.

2. Bonjour

Sgarrista

Did you install fans in the Krakens, blowing air on the VRMs?

3. aceytrixx

Wise Guy

It's all just assembled as per the instructions. I left on the metal plate from the msi cooler that seems to be acting as a heatsink for the vrms

4. beefkeef

Gangster

Any luck with your system aceytrixx ?

5. aceytrixx

Wise Guy

I've not been looking at my system as I'm actually away on holiday. Ill be back at it on Wednesday and my current thinking is just to take everything out and start again

6. LtMatt

Caporegime

The issues you've described could be caused by over tightening or a short somewhere.

7. Kaapstad

Man of Honour

Reduce the overclock on your CPU to about 4.0ghz and see if the PC still has problems.

8. deuse

Capodecina

You're alive :eek::D

9. shankly1985

Capodecina

Installing Corsair HG10 with H75 next week on my 290 and then following week if all go's to plan on the 290x..

Result so far from my reading is the HG10 is very good.

10. maj

Wise Guy

Well got a monitor 2nd hand today and I still get the graphic artifact on POST that I've mentioned before so looks like my R9 290 is the problem. I knew the monitor worked before I bought it and can also rule it out being the hdmi to vga adapter I was using as I'm using display port this time. Looks like it's RMA time.

11. SouthEastBlue

Wise Guy

I used to to get that graphical artifact on post too, do you have a Gigabyte or Z68 motherboard by any chance? I removed the graphic logo in the bios and all was fine. Other than that issue which doesnt affect anything the card always ran perfect.

12. maj

Wise Guy

I have gigabyte mono yeah but not Z68 chipset. If I wasn't on my phone I'd find the exact post where I first mentioned it so I could compare it you yours. This only started happening since I moved to AMD. Nvidia card I had before worked fine until it died. The screen would randomly go black and loose input from the card too. Not sure if this monitor has sorted that or not. I'll try turning the logo off in BIOS like you suggested.

13. aceytrixx

Wise Guy

Back from my holidays and managed to get some time at the pc today. Slightly loosened the cooler on the core and have successfully done two runs of 3d mark with no black screen. Ill see how it goes after some gaming this evening

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  14. LtMatt

Caporegime

:)

15. maj

Wise Guy

Getting annoyed now. New monitor and 290 still black screens randomly whenever I'm browsing the web. It has to be card now surely? Since I'm using a display port cable directly from card to monitor.

16. LtMatt

Caporegime

What are the cards stock clocks? The issue you've described is usually caused by a faulty gpu.

17. maj

Wise Guy

[​IMG]

Annoyingly if I do have to RMA it, my mobo chipset doesn't have onboard graphics so I'd be without a computer in the time it was away.

18. LtMatt

Caporegime

Copy my settings exactly. Save these settings to profile one and apply profile one using the 2d/3d profiles tab. Test for one week of gaming. If the problems are fixed, your gpu memory is unstable at the stock clocks and should be RMA'd.

[​IMG]

19. shankly1985

Capodecina

Are they stock clocks? Try lowing the memory down to 1250

20. Marine-RX179

Capodecina

I have the HG10 with H105 on my 290x, and it's awesome. I haven't seen the GPU temp exceed 40C on stock yet; when upping voltage and overclock that it would get closer toward high 40~50C max :p

VRM temp is also very good as well.