1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Orangey, Dec 25, 2013.

1. shankly1985

Capodecina

Can't wait to give it a try mate, just waiting on stock fans to be delivered before I order.

Am now been thinking if I should buy the H90 instead I could still fit two these in front of my case.

2. maj

Wise Guy

Will give those a try thanks.

edit: My Afterburner looks different to yours and I don't have those 2d/3d options and my tabs are different too.

Yep completely stock clocks.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  3. LtMatt

Caporegime

4. maj

Wise Guy

5. Marine-RX179

Capodecina

IMO the H75 is fine. Its temp for the 290 is probably going to be in the 50C~60C range with as oppose to my H105 at 40~50C range. Overclocking, my H105 won't offer much (if any) benefit of pushing further comparing to the H75...the only realistic benefit of having a better AIO jump means you can have it quieter with the fan spinning at lower rpm.

6. shankly1985

Capodecina

Thanks so do you think they not much a difference between 120mm rad and 140mm.. Tbh 60c I'll be more than happy. Atm gta5 is really pushing my GPU's into the mid 80s I can get them to stay low by looking frame rate to say 60fps but running 144hz kinder pointless.

I also really like the look of the HG10 think it's very clean how corsair have designed it.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  7. Marine-RX179

Capodecina

Having a better cooler could do one of the two followings:
    1. Achieving lower temp at the same noise level
    or
    2. Achieving same temp at a lower noise level.

8. AgedIdiot

Wise Guy

Am no advertisement for speed but some 6 months after purchasing 2 x XFX 290 are both under water:) (27" 1440)

Noise - what noise?

Temps - worst under load <60c

Am very pleased- long may it last :D

9. lude1962

Wise Guy

Power Color pcs 290
    has any one fitted water cooling to this?

10. maj

Wise Guy

Matt been running your suggested settings and I still get random black screens. Time to RMA card I think.

11. Geck0

Perma Banned

12. m1xmag

Gangster

Another user here - Sapphire Tri-X...... haven't tweaked it yet as was nervous this might affect the warranty?

13. edwarhys

Gangster

Hey guys, anyone here running crossfire 290's ? Just wanted to know what it's like with CF profiles and if you have issues with certain games.

Sapphire R9 290 4Gb Tri-X owner :)

14. jrodga2k5

Sgarrista

So I picked up a Matrix version of the R9 290...massive cooler...hoped it would do the job but the temps seem to be crazy.

I've been hitting 90C in Game of Thrones (Telltale one) and 90C in the Witcher 3 as well...definitely shouldn't be the case in both surely?

I do have a well ventilated case so that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

15. Gerard

Caporegime

That card does run hot for some reason despite the cooler it has, for cooler running cards the sapphire tri-x and vapor-x are probably your best bet.

16. jrodga2k5

Sgarrista

If that's the case that's alright as I know the R9 290's have to stay around 94C max :p

I'll try setting up a fan profile and see how I go with it.

17. thewanted

Mobster

Does anyone know to stop the blood splatter flickering in Dying Light when Crossfire is enabled? I've tried disabling AA in-game but it didn't help.

18. Aretak

Wise Guy

Man, I received a Vapor-X 290 yesterday and it's having the random black screen issue that a lot of people have reported. It seems absolutely fine under gaming load. It's passed FireStrike and Valley and I've played about five hours of GTA V, but whilst randomly browsing the internet it's now just outright crashed to a black screen three times.

Seems to be taking the whole system down, rather than just not outputting a signal, as I had music on in the background which stopped and it needed a hard reset to fix. Ironically, it happened for the third time right in the middle of me filling out the RMA form on the site of the retailer I bought it from.

Properly cleaned out my old drivers before installing it, using out of the box clocks, everything else in the system I know works fine. It's a real bummer, as £180 seemed like an awesome deal for this card, and I've been delighted with its performance in games. Three random crashes during desktop use in 24 hours is unacceptable though.

I'm just worried that the retailer I'm dealing with is going to run it through FireStrike or something and say it's fine. I don't really know how you reproduce random crashes whilst doing nothing.

19. meldarthx

Wise Guy

Aretak; what browser are you using? and hardware excelleration?

20. Aretak

Wise Guy

Using Firefox, with hardware acceleration off (to allow MacType to work). I've read elsewhere a lot of people having the same issue with Chrome though.