• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

Soldato
Install it. Its a bloody brilliant fun game and the graphics are delish at high res and at the extreme preset settings. Crossfire scaling is superb as well.

Knowing my setup it'll struggle with the Extreme preset.
No idea what's wrong with my setup. Did a fresh Windows install and didn't make any real difference. Can only guess it's hardware and that it could be my CPU. Might be able to get a tiny bit more out of it, but not much. Really need to get it under water too. Or maybe swap it for a 4930K, but I was hoping to skip IB-E and go to Haswell-E.
Mind you, my 4770K + 7950CF setup is about the same. Not sure what I've done, but I seem to have done it to both PCs. Also seems to have been since swapping from my Nvidia cards to AMDs (which is why I tried a re-install).

As for Sleeping Dogs, I'll put it on my list of things to play, eventually. I think once I've done Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, Assassin's Creed Revelations, Assassin's Creed 3, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Batman: Arkham City, Bioshock Infinite (maybe, unsure about this) and Hitman Absolution then I'll look at Sleeping Dogs. Or I might try Thief, but I don't think that'll be my sort of game, I don't do stealth games.

Anyway, back on the 290 topic; what sort of fan speeds do people consider acceptable on the reference cards?
I've set up quite an aggressive fan profile (or at least it gets fast near the end) and took some notice while doing the Heaven runs. I think fo me, by the time the fan gets to 40% it's getting annoyingly loud. I'd prefer it if they didn't go over 35%, but that's unrealistic with these cards. During the Heaven run it was sitting just below 80ºC by the end and the fan was at about 45%. I was happy when the benchmark had finished and I could stop Heaven so the fan would slow down!
I really must get around to putting them under water as I'm finding the noise puts me off using the PC for anything graphics related. Of course OcUK are out of stock of most of the watercooling stuff I want (mostly fittings, but they're quite important. Oh and radiators).

Caporegime
55% is perfectly fine for me and what i run normally. This allows me to run clocks of 1000/1250 with temps staying around 90c on both cards. If i fancy a bit quieter i run 975/1250 at 50% fan speed. Sometimes get a bit of light throttling here down to the 947mhz+ range though. To be honest i find anything past 55% loud. 60% is as loud as i can put up with really and even thats pushing it. However i game with G35 headset so once im playing a game i could have the fan at 80% and i would not hear it so the fan noise is not really a problem.

Associate
does the asus bios unlock mem voltage on ref 290's?

ive noticed if i apply a big memory clock outside of a 3d application or as soon as it bootsd i get a black screen, probably needs a touch more voltage.

core gets up to 1150 easily enough but the memory craps itself over 1350.

Caporegime
does the asus bios unlock mem voltage on ref 290's?

ive noticed if i apply a big memory clock outside of a 3d application or as soon as it bootsd i get a black screen, probably needs a touch more voltage.

core gets up to 1150 easily enough but the memory craps itself over 1350.

Add more core voltage if you want the memory to overclock further. Memory overclocking is pointless on 290 cards outside of boosting benchmark scores though.

Associate
Add more core voltage if you want the memory to overclock further. Memory overclocking is pointless on 290 cards outside of boosting benchmark scores though.

Cheers matt, tbh i was going to bench it to see what it can do. I mean is sitting snuggly under an EK water block so why not :D

Back
Top Bottom