• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

Associate
I have not looked into the power colour much but I am sure I have seen a "why not to buy" forum here regarding the power colour 290 might want to check for that first though I believe it's just about mining reasons

Soldato
Not sure as I only have a reference watercooled sapphire, That said poor VRMs and cooling on this card would be a big no especially if you planning on overclocking the card

Planning to watercool 'them' eventually, so more worried about the VRMs than the cooler.
I have 2 290s already, it's just they don't clock well. Hoping a custom card might be better.

Soldato
Lol you do seem like that type. You should try 1075 at stock voltage.

but that's not 1100MHz...
I was a bit the same with my 7950s when they wouldn't do, what was it, 1200/1500 at stock volts (original BIOS, not yours).

And yes, I am that type :)
How annoyed was I when my 4770K wouldn't do 4.5GHz @ 1.25v!

I'm really not lucky with my OCing...

Caporegime
but that's not 1100MHz...
I was a bit the same with my 7950s when they wouldn't do, what was it, 1200/1500 at stock volts (original BIOS, not yours).

And yes, I am that type :)
How annoyed was I when my 4770K wouldn't do 4.5GHz @ 1.25v!

I'm really not lucky with my OCing...

I hear you. I used to be the same to be fair. I was always chasing 1125/1575 with my 7950's but in crossfire they never could do it. Only on their own could they clock high. Since i got 290 crossfire though i have enough grunt that i no longer need to overclock. (much) Just a 25mhz bump on the core of each card does it for me while playing bf4.

Soldato
Well, I managed to run Heaven at 1050 @ stock volts. Might not really be considered 'stable' but it's more stable than 1100 was at stock.

I'll try 1075 another time, but I'd forgotten how loud the reference cards are. I don't use the PC much because it is so loud compared to my 7950 CF setup. I knew that was at least part of the reason I didn't use the PC as much, but forgot quite how loud they are!

Still debating a couple of custom cooled 290s. Would have to change my case though as I don't think either the MSI or Sapphire coolers are really suited to a TJ11.
I was planning to change to my 900D anyway though, it's been sat gathering dust since the 900Ds were released!

Associate
Iv got a problem with my msi 290 gaming. after about 2hours, not solid as there is about 5mins in-between getting games, i got some serious throttling where my fps was a total mess jumping between 15 and 200. its happened a few times now and only after a few hours of gaming but not every time, is the card edging on being broken or is there something i am doing wrong? the only way i can resolve the issue is by restarting my pc

Temps never get over 72c when playing cs, using the 13.12 drivers, iv got a 850w corsair powersupply

Soldato
Iv got a problem with my msi 290 gaming. after about 2hours, not solid as there is about 5mins in-between getting games, i got some serious throttling where my fps was a total mess jumping between 15 and 200. its happened a few times now and only after a few hours of gaming but not every time, is the card edging on being broken or is there something i am doing wrong? the only way i can resolve the issue is by restarting my pc

Temps never get over 72c when playing cs, using the 13.12 drivers, iv got a 850w corsair powersupply

Hard to say.
can be a driver issue.
I do the obvious, close down any software extra that runs, run some software monitoring program to check what happens when it happens.

Associate
windows 7 64bit, 4gb of ram

i had afterburner running and the gpu usage was all over the place. i had this happen everytime i tried to play cs with the mantle beta drivers so i wiped them and went back to the 13.12 and it solved the problem until the otherday

Permabanned
Guys will the ASUS BIOS work with my Tri-X?

Want to flash the card to get 1.4v as it's under water and I want to push it.

I assume because my Tri-X is using a reference PCB is should work fine?

Soldato
OP
edit: misread, do you have a BIOS switch on those Tri-Xs?

Yeah it should be fine but I still wanna give the usual disclaimer :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom