• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

Caporegime
Are we talking about 290's still? They are less price used than a 280X?

I can't see it personally, especially when the GTX780 is still going for £350+ used.

Sorry i misunderstood. I'd say a used 290 is worth more a than a 280X in my opinion. Are you going off sales in the MM? 290's are cheap so their resale value is always going to be lower.

Caporegime
Just been looking at used prices, are these really worth less used than a new 280X?

Reference ones seem to go for about £220> AIB for about £250>

Its about right, i paid £300 for mine new.

I can't see it personally, especially when the GTX780 is still going for £350+ used.

Yes but the 780 costs £380+ new

Last edited:
Soldato
2 x MSI 290s OC versions

IMG_20140422_123955.jpg

Love these cards. Need to modify my 540 to have a fan on the side

Soldato
Reference ones seem to go for about £220> AIB for about £250>

Its about right, i paid £300 for mine new.

Just seen £195 offered for one. I assume that includes delivery as well. Hence my wondering about their true value, surely that offer is a **** take?

Yes but the 780 costs £380+ new

And performs about the same - hence my confusion.

Caporegime
Just seen £195 offered for one. I assume that includes delivery as well. Hence my wondering about their true value, surely that offer is a **** take?

And performs about the same - hence my confusion.

I have seen 780's and 290's go for £250.

People generally don't like the Reference 290 nearly as much as the AIB ones which tend to hold their value much more.

Soldato
Nice one. Looks like you would benefit from a nice big side exhaust fan.

Mantles great innit? Bet its made you an even better player because of the responsiveness and smoothness.

I really like it. TBH I never even went DX, straight to Mantle

Yes, definitely need a large side exhaust fan - these cards run hot when playing BF4

Soldato
Mr BaD, what are your temps like with the 2 MSI cards? I have the 540 and MSI 290 Gaming and plan on buying a second.

Not brilliant, to be honest. I have a 360 rad on the front as intake with push pull. I have a 240 on the top with exhaust. And a 120 fan on the back. The watercooling is only for the CPU for now, with the plan to change to proper pump and res + GPUs.

Back to your question - 85ish on the top and 70ish on the bottom, under full load. But that's with all fans at 1900rpm/110cfm full load with fan controller.

A side fan would be idea but the side panel is plastic. I may just rig something up

I would recommend you getting another though. They are amazing

Permabanned
Looking to do a similar build myself, first on air then go to water.

Sorry if its been asked before (28 pages is a lot), but do you notice any slow down and throttling when the cards get nice and toasty? Oh, and the noise, whats it like?

Caporegime
Is that on the new 14.4 WHQL drivers?

Just tried single card and crossfire, stock and overclocked (both core and mem) and benched Valley on each setting and every time the card went back to the correct 2D clocks, on 14.4 WHQL.

Use the new drivers. I had my core get locked in 2D mode on 14.3 as well. It was after a crash/black screen due to unstable overclocking. I tested 14.4 and it does not happen any more.

Not yet, not been home long.I'll give them a go now.

They fixed the problem with my idle clocks :)

pexDldU.gif.png

Soldato
20 minutes in to the new drivers and I got a black screen crash :(

So it's obviously not the drivers. It's either the game or the card not being able to run the factory OC.

Back
Top Bottom