• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

Soldato
yeah - Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC :)

very pleased with it so far - you certainly know when you overclock it too far (goes crazy)- but achievable clocks and sheer memory bandwidth are amazing for the price :)

Soldato
So I have to send my MSI R9 290 Gaming back to OcUK under RMA, wah wah and all that, and I've decided I can't wait up to a month for this to be sorted so it's time to buy my second card.

I have decided NOT to buy another MSI, sorry MSI but once bitten and all that, so I am going to buy a Sapphire Tri-X OC.

My question is really clarifying what has been said but I am a cautious person. You can run 2 different manufacturers 290's running at different clocks and the system will sort it's self out yes?

Soldato
So I have to send my MSI R9 290 Gaming back to OcUK under RMA, wah wah and all that, and I've decided I can't wait up to a month for this to be sorted so it's time to buy my second card.

I have decided NOT to buy another MSI, sorry MSI but once bitten and all that, so I am going to buy a Sapphire Tri-X OC.

My question is really clarifying what has been said but I am a cautious person. You can run 2 different manufacturers 290's running at different clocks and the system will sort it's self out yes?

Yep, no problems.
Though I always clock them to the same anyway.

Soldato
When I get my 2nd card, and before I send this card back to OcUK under the RMA, I want to have a quick go at Crossfire and I have a question.

I currently have 14.6 drivers installed so what's the best way to get the 2nd card in and running? Can I just slot it in, hook the power up and then boot or should I really uninstall the drivers then put the second card in and reinstall them?

I watched a video on YouTube where he put the 2nd card in without uninstalling the drivers and everything was fine but I'd rather hear what you lot have to say about it in case the video gave bad information. I know, I don't believe someone would give out bad info on the internet either.

Caporegime
When I get my 2nd card, and before I send this card back to OcUK under the RMA, I want to have a quick go at Crossfire and I have a question.

I currently have 14.6 drivers installed so what's the best way to get the 2nd card in and running? Can I just slot it in, hook the power up and then boot or should I really uninstall the drivers then put the second card in and reinstall them?

I watched a video on YouTube where he put the 2nd card in without uninstalling the drivers and everything was fine but I'd rather hear what you lot have to say about it in case the video gave bad information. I know, I don't believe someone would give out bad info on the internet either.

Just slot it in (that's what she said) and away you go. It will pickup and detect the new card within seconds of CCC loading. Then open up CCC and make sure crossfire is enabled.

Soldato
Tinker's itch has finally got the better of me today - two Accelero Hybrid II coolers ordered. Now, I have an idea where I'll fit them in my case, wonder if they'll actually fit? :D

Should have them in the next week or so (OcUK only had 1 in stock, so had to shop elsewhere) and will post pictures when done - just don't expect it to be pretty with 2 AIO coolers and a Silver Arrow inside an RV03!

Soldato
Guys, I finally remembered to get a screenshot of some glitching on my MSI 290 Gaming so what do you think? That green? (colourblind) diagonal shouldn't be there and was flashing. I logged out, Wildstar btw, and logged back in again and it was gone. That's how this issue has been, intermittent and when I reload it's usually OK again.

ElliotReidMD140608185202_zpsd06eae71.png

This is how it looked when I logged back in.

ElliotReidMD140608185206_zps3cf6c349.png

Caporegime
Tinker's itch has finally got the better of me today - two Accelero Hybrid II coolers ordered. Now, I have an idea where I'll fit them in my case, wonder if they'll actually fit? :D

Should have them in the next week or so (OcUK only had 1 in stock, so had to shop elsewhere) and will post pictures when done - just don't expect it to be pretty with 2 AIO coolers and a Silver Arrow inside an RV03!

A reference brother leaves the fold. :(

Good luck. :)

I have a couple of Artic Accelero 7970 coolers that i could put on my 290's. I'd need a couple of shims though according to Tommy. Still not decided if i can be bothered yet.

Soldato
A reference brother leaves the fold. :(

Good luck. :)

I have a couple of Artic Accelero 7970 coolers that i could put on my 290's. I'd need a couple of shims though according to Tommy. Still not decided if i can be bothered yet.

I sold my Accelero 7970 cooler a while back. Was an epic cooler, but didn't like being card 1 in Crossfire as my PCI-E slots only have 2 free slots between them, VRMs overheated in short order and the card slowed to a crawl. Made a brilliant and silent card 2 in Crossfire though.

I still have a Hybrid Mk1 in the loft that I tried fitting to card 1 when I was bored, and it ended up killing both cards, so I'm a little wary of fitting it to anything else! One of the screws is a little bent (my bad) and I fancy the two cards looking the same, so two new coolers it is. Curious how the rear VRM heatsink works out, especially in Crossfire. Just tried Sniper Elite V2 and my VRMs are running at 60/70 for one card and 70/80 for the other, so at least I've got a reference for when I finally get and fit the two coolers.

Glad you're still rocking the stock coolers Lt, I may regret changing, but I've got the itch and need to change SOMETHING. :)

Soldato
Guys, I finally remembered to get a screenshot of some glitching on my MSI 290 Gaming so what do you think? That green? (colourblind) diagonal shouldn't be there and was flashing. I logged out, Wildstar btw, and logged back in again and it was gone. That's how this issue has been, intermittent and when I reload it's usually OK again.

14.6 beta drivers by any chance?

I just very recently got a 290 Tri-X OC and this was happening to me (massive texture stretching) in WildStar also, but I've been on the 14.4's all day today and I've not had it once. I'm still keeping an eye on it though as it would well point to dodgy VRAM but it could also just be beta drivers.

Back
Top Bottom