• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

Soldato
I'm worried now that my sunflower 650w and 290 will pack up. This thread just makes me paranoid lol. I'm going to thrash my 290 this weekend. If it survives then its a good one, if not at least I can return it under the 14 or whatever day return thing.

Caporegime
The volts were dropping more at idle maybe?

Maybe, i had the cpu power response time at very high so maybe that was conflicting. Not sure tbh, i did lower all voltages will need to spend some more time trying to figure out what was causing it. Since i changed to 5ghz, it's been fine.

I'm worried now that my sunflower 650w and 290 will pack up. This thread just makes me paranoid lol. I'm going to thrash my 290 this weekend. If it survives then its a good one, if not at least I can return it under the 14 or whatever day return thing.

Haha relax, my issue is looking like PEBKAC. :o :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I think your cursed moogleys:eek:

did you clear cmos? worth a try,tried backup bios on the card? id stick with it though seems good card when they are working,you can get a faulty unit with any part you buy

Cmos cleared everything re-set and the same. If I boot of the internal GPU with the 290 installed it is not recognised as there by either the Bios or windows device manager.

Tried it in a different PC and have the same problem.

Installed my old 7970 into my PC and it boots and is recognised fine.

Conclusion the Tri-x has died whilst reading these forums for no reason.

Soldato
I've been getting this issue with the 290 Pro since I've changed from the 780 where my monitor won't wake from sleep correctly (This is the monitor in sleep not the system). It wakes and appears to be getting a signal, but it is only displaying a black screen. I'm using the latest beta drivers and have only had this issue since having the card.

Any ideas? :)

It seems my nice tri-x has just given up on me. Just browsing the forum and the screen went into standby. Restarted the PC and the screen will not come out of standby. Plugged into the onboard GPU and all is fine.

Anyone any ideas before I throw it out the window....

:mad:

It's not just you Moog, I get it as well. Matt confirms he has the same issue sometimes as well and it's a known issue.

I've just disabled monitor standby in the meantime. Waking from full system sleep works fine. It's only when the monitor goes to sleep and the system stays active that has the wake issues.

Caporegime

It may have been a couple of 780's, can't remember i just remember him posting about it.

It's not just you Moog, I get it as well. Matt confirms he has the same issue sometimes as well and it's a known issue.

I've just disabled monitor standby in the meantime. Waking from full system sleep works fine. It's only when the monitor goes to sleep and the system stays active that has the wake issues.

I think his gpu has actually died Nocky, not the monitor sleep bug we sometimes get.

Soldato
It seems my nice tri-x has just given up on me. Just browsing the forum and the screen went into standby. Restarted the PC and the screen will not come out of standby. Plugged into the onboard GPU and all is fine.

Anyone any ideas before I throw it out the window....

:mad:

That suck's. You sure do have some bad luck. :(

Soldato
I had an EVGA 780 that arrived with no thermal pads on the ram or VRM, EVGA sent them and then the card died. Replaced with another that was DOA.

I had a free upgrade to a 780Ti which kept throttling itself, This was swapped for another which worked perfect. Stupidly I thought it was overkill so sold it and looked into the 290 again.

Should have just kept the Ti.....

Caporegime
I had an EVGA 780 that arrived with no thermal pads on the ram or VRM, EVGA sent them and then the card died. Replaced with another that was DOA.

I had a free upgrade to a 780Ti which kept throttling itself, This was swapped for another which worked perfect. Stupidly I thought it was overkill so sold it and looked into the 290 again.

Should have just kept the Ti.....

Looks like no matter where you go, you get faulty cards Lol.

I would try another

I'd give it another bash and if not then maybe try something else. You seemed very happy with it until it died. :)

Back
Top Bottom