• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

Caporegime
I have contacted ocuk via the technical support forum and they think it could be a problem, if not now, possibly in the future.

I was asked if I had sent an email to MSI and I said that I didn't, however, moogley has so if you hear back moogley could you post their reply here so that I can forward it on to the support team at ocuk please? :)

I think they are going to contact MSI on Monday anyway.

Soldato
I have contacted ocuk via the technical support forum and they think it could be a problem, if not now, possibly in the future.

I was asked if I had sent an email to MSI and I said that I didn't, however, moogley has so if you hear back moogley could you post their reply here so that I can forward it on to the support team at ocuk please? :)

I think they are going to contact MSI on Monday anyway.

Will let you know when I get something back mate.

They're great cards. Received mine last week and love it. Playing at 1440p also with 1150/1450 clocks.

Cool mine is at stock as I have found nothing that struggles.

Soldato
I have now put in a good few hours gaming with the Tri-x and not one problem. I have clocked it up to 1150/1450 and the temp has remained at a max of 71.c after a good hour of BF4 and the same with Titanfall. The card has remained almost silent and is quiter than my case fans running at 800Rpm. I will run the card at stock as tbh I cannot see any difference between stock and over clocked in game.

Performance wise everything was pretty much locked at 60fps at 1440p. I'm not seeing any performance difference over my 780Ti and if anything BF4 with mantle is a bit smoother.

Really cannot recommend this card enough if you are considering a 290.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have now put in a good few hours gaming with the Tri-x and not one problem. I have clocked it up to 1150/1450 and the temp has remained at a max of 71.c after a good hour of BF4 and the same with Titanfall. The card has remained almost silent and is quiter than my case fans running at 800Rpm. I will run the card at stock as tbh I cannot see any difference between stock and over clocked in game.

Performance wise everything was pretty much locked at 60fps at 1440p. I'm not seeing any performance difference over my 780Ti and if anything BF4 with mantle is a bit smoother.

Nice to see you also noticed the mantle, smoothness.

Soldato

Glad you finally have a good working card Moog :) Tri x's do seem to be one of the better 290's imo as a overall package/price

Caporegime
if I were you nexus id change your case and get a tri-x also,lovely looking cards

Only got this case a few weeks ago! :p

It isn't a bad case, just need better front fans (the antec ones have a super weak static pressure) and better fans for the top (don't think the CFM and static pressure matter as much though for fans exhausting at the top since heat rises). Since removing the noise foam pad and adding the 2x120mm fans at the top, my CPU hasn't gone past 70 degrees, before it was going up to and even over 80.

Yeah I think I will be returning the MSI 290 regardless of what MSI/OCUK say anyway as the sapphire does look like a better card, certainly for temps and noise anyway! (not that I find the MSI to be loud though)

As I am pretty sure that this MSI 290 is throttling as well, which could very well be due to the heat not being conducted to the heatsink because of the lack of contact.

Caporegime
Only got this case a few weeks ago! :p

It isn't a bad case, just need better front fans (the antec ones have a super weak static pressure) and better fans for the top (don't think the CFM and static pressure matter as much though for fans exhausting at the top since heat rises). Since removing the noise foam pad and adding the 2x120mm fans at the top, my CPU hasn't gone past 70 degrees, before it was going up to and even over 80.

Yeah I think I will be returning the MSI 290 regardless of what MSI/OCUK say anyway as the sapphire does look like a better card, certainly for temps and noise anyway! (not that I find the MSI to be loud though)

As I am pretty sure that this MSI 290 is throttling as well, which could very well be due to the heat not being conducted to the heatsink because of the lack of contact.

you only need the same case as moog,fractal then you'll be happy:D

Soldato
I do love my Tri-X OC, not the way a man loves a woman or sheep, and it is quieter than my, back with MSI, MSI 290 Gaming.

I haven't messed with OCing the Tri-X yet as even though I know this isn't the case, I tried OCing my MSI within the first few days of having it and it's had to be RMA'd. I know it had nothing to do with that as I doubt you could damage a card by OCing it and I only did very small increments anyway. I will OC it once my paranoia subsides.

When I get the MSI back I am selling it to a friend for his new build as I want another Tri-X OC for CrossFireX™.

Caporegime

Damn straight. If it's noticeable on single card, wait to you try Mantle on multi gpu, then it's different gravy. ;)

Back
Top Bottom