• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

Soldato
I had a thread in general discussion but it seems to have died so rather than bumping it again I thought I would try here. My top msi gaming edition has been hitting temps of 90+ So I'm back down at 1 gpu for the time being however I want to get them both working if I can obviously. Now my motherboard is this am I likely to find a z77 board with more spacing between the PCI-e slots or is that about my lot?

If you looking at buying new board I can highly recommend Asus p8z77 ws bit pricey though. I had same trouble has you and went with this board to give me the max space between the two cards. Before my top was also hitting 90c now both sit around 70s

What I have done.
IMAG0065.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
My 290 hits 95c then the fans start to spin up and the gpu throttles. Had to use a custom fan map. Is this common?

Yes.

I discussed this with Matt in this thread yesterday, in some details too. Are you using CCC or MSI AB?

It was recommended to use CCC and the Overdrive option to set your target temp & fan speed to 100%. Mine will easily hit 90c but fans speed only ay 60% which is not painful on the ears.

Soldato
Yes.

I discussed this with Matt in this thread yesterday, in some details too. Are you using CCC or MSI AB?

It was recommended to use CCC and the Overdrive option to set your target temp & fan speed to 100%. Mine will easily hit 90c but fans speed only ay 60% which is not painful on the ears.

Only reference cards, custom cards don't have the target temperature in CCC well msi dont.

Associate
If you looking at buying new board I can highly recommend Asus p8z77 ws bit pricey though. I had same trouble has you and went with this board to give me the max space between the two cards. Before my top was also hitting 90c now both sit around 70s

What I have done.
IMAG0065.jpg

What exact model board is that? Looks different to the one p8z77 that's pot of stick on ocuk. I was looking at an asrock extreme4 as apparently it has 6-7cm between the slots where mine has 4.5cm. How does your hard drive do that close to the gpu?

Soldato
What exact model board is that? Looks different to the one p8z77 that's pot of stick on ocuk. I was looking at an asrock extreme4 as apparently it has 6-7cm between the slots where mine has 4.5cm. How does your hard drive do that close to the gpu?

It's Asus p8z77 WS don't think ocuk stock it but another well known site do.
It's ssd it stays very cool about 20c my two hard drives are in the back of case.

Back
Top Bottom