• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

Caporegime
Is this the dodgy fan issue or something else?

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=26474796&postcount=1494

Not wanting to admit to a possible wider problem maybe ?

Perhaps.....

Short on the pleasantries hey? :(

indeed :p

Going to see if I can get a refund, no point going for another MSI as it doesn't seem to be an isolated problem, shame as I really like the MSI brand plus the card does look mazing :p. If I can get a refund, I'll go with the sapphire tri-x.

Caporegime
Running at 1ghz with autofan on (around 48%) and getting 90-92c, that's if I take off my case front panel (750d) to let the fans more freely suck in air. Might have to add one to the bottom of the case or get higher airflow fans to address the temps better.

Last edited:
Associate
Also using same case, nothing wrong with it. It's just the 290's push crazy amount hot air and having them so close is not good enough. 7000 series was fine

Here my 540
IMAG0065.jpg

So after all other options being considered I think im going to go with this idea. Its the cheapest solution that lets me keep running both cards. However I may look into the Asrock Extreme11 instead as purely on an asthetic level I prefer it.

Soldato
So after all other options being considered I think im going to go with this idea. Its the cheapest solution that lets me keep running both cards. However I may look into the Asrock Extreme11 instead as purely on an asthetic level I prefer it.

Good choice :D I very happy with this configuration and even in future will be base my next build around same thing.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Very odd stock fan setup for the 290, daft in a way as it allows the core to get to a point where its harder for the fan to manage the temps before it spins up to any real degree, trying some custom fan profiles to see what works better.

Back
Top Bottom