• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

Caporegime
Running at 1ghz with autofan on (around 48%) and getting 90-92c, that's if I take off my case front panel (750d) to let the fans more freely suck in air. Might have to add one to the bottom of the case or get higher airflow fans to address the temps better.

Under volting should be your friend, even while overclocking. :)

Caporegime
Under volting should be your friend, even while overclocking. :)

Dunno, going to add an intake to the bottom of the case and see how it affects temps. Not a fan of undervolting can seem stable in some games then when you play something more demanding it can go to pieces.

Caporegime
Dunno, going to add an intake to the bottom of the case and see how it affects temps. Not a fan of undervolting can seem stable in some games then when you play something more demanding it can go to pieces.

Nah, not if you know what you're doing. OCCT error checking will weed out any unstable clocks/voltages. The biggest problem i find is unstable 2d voltages. I could run my cards with even lower voltage than i do now. Stable under load but flickering at desktop thanks to offset 2d voltage dropping too low. You'll get cooler gpu's and a lower fan profile if you undervolt.

Associate
Good choice :D I very happy with this configuration and even in future will be base my next build around something.

Yeah I'm just kind of reluctant because I only have a 3750k and it's a lot to spend on a motherboard. Although it's at 4.6 and about 60 degrees and it's struggled in very few games only monsters like crysis 3 have been an issue. The 3770k will get put on the back burner for a few months.

Caporegime
BTW, I am just keeping my MSI one, happy with the current temps etc. and I haven't had any problems either.

Should a problem arise in the future, I have ocuk and MSI's great customer service :)

Caporegime
Still looking for a resolution on why my fan speed isnt showing on the MSI AB overlay, despite me enabling it. Any ideas? It just shows 0%

Erm, not sure what to suggest snips. Are you using the latest version of AB? Show me your afterburner settings, fan settings and the main window of the program itself plox.

Soldato
This is what mine shows...

Fan speed RPM shows nothing % works.

d4s.png

Caporegime
I get the same, no 'RPM' readout from the fans, i have always used % anyway, it telling me 1479 RPM doesn't tell me anything, but it telling me 45% lets me know they are running at just under half of full speed.

Soldato
Sold one of my 7990s so i'm back running three reference 290s again

Don't even need to overclock them, everything runs so smooth, happy days.

Just need to get water blocks on them and i'm done for a year or so I think (famous last words)

Back
Top Bottom