• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

Soldato
Nice looking setup stu, id be interested in it myself but iirc you have to epoxy heat sinks to the ram modules, no warranty :(

That was true with the version 1, but the newer version 2 doesn't require anything glued, the heatsinks screw onto the back of the card and everything can be put back to normal very quickly and easily. You'll only lose your warranty if there are any of the telltale stickers on your existing coolers screws.

Associate
Any chance you could change my entry in the roll of honour in the OP?

I have definitely left the land of the reference coolers (sorry Matt) and joined the Arctic Accelero Hybrid 2 brigade. I sadly had to change my Silver Arrow for a smaller Phanteks cooler as the heatsink on card 1 was slightly larger than I thought, but other than that it's all good. Much, much quieter, cooler on the cores (60-65C rather than 90-94C), and the VRMs haven't changed too much (about 10C hotter on each, which I'm comfortable with, but VRM1 on card 2 gets warmer than I'd like at the moment so another fan may be popped in at some point).

Anyway, I did promise some pictures. They're not as stunning looking as some of your rigs, but he's always been more of a workhorse than a show pony, and I like the looks - especially the subtle lighting of the NZXT HUE when it's dark. :)

20140627_174638_zps4a495823.jpg

20140627_174849_zps4f543ad3.jpg

20140627_174859_zps2d7fc6cc.jpg

20140627_174920_zpsb8fe9620.jpg

20140627_174913_zpsfec3bc86.jpg

I was going to go down that road but I don't think I have the space for that and I was concerned about the vrms overheating. Doesn't seem that's an issue though which is good.

Caporegime
That was true with the version 1, but the newer version 2 doesn't require anything glued, the heatsinks screw onto the back of the card and everything can be put back to normal very quickly and easily. You'll only lose your warranty if there are any of the telltale stickers on your existing coolers screws.

Hmm, yours does look a bit different from the videos ive seen, could be worth a look possibly. :)

Really does seem odd that the heatsink is on the rear of the card, id imagine the front components are getting pretty toasty.

Last edited:
Associate
Great pics Stu, very useful.

I'm looking into purchasing some for my setup, but I really am curious about the rear heatskin... Does anything actually get warm on the rear?

Surely heat sinks on the chips themselves is going to be way more efficient?

Back
Top Bottom