• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

Associate
One of the problems you have is those fans you have littered throughout your pc. I had the exact same ones. They're useless. I can blow my nose and generate more forceful airflow than those things. Put a filter in front of them and they are completely. useless.

Say I swapped out all my fans for 5 noctua 140mm along with adding in the refurb h100 I've ordered I'm still going to need to space the cards out more?

Also what about replacing thermal paste on the cards?

Caporegime
Say I swapped out all my fans for 5 noctua 140mm along with adding in the refurb h100 I've ordered I'm still going to need to space the cards out more?

Also what about replacing thermal paste on the cards?

I'd definitely recommend those new Noctua industrial fans. Thinking about kitting my rig out with a load of those. The static pressure is the highest ive seen without ridiculous noise levels.

Changing the paste is always worth a shot too imo.

At the end of the day though, you may still need to space the cards out. Can't say for sure either way really.

Associate
Hadn't checked out the 3000rpm industrial fans. Each one moves three times as much air as mine! That has to be worth a shot. With going from 3 120mm fans to 2 140mm I'd double my airflow from the front. Then another 140 for the rear and a couple 120s for the h100. Even going this and the motherboard will be cheaper than a water loop and less hassle than that or the aio gpu coolers.

Soldato
Hadn't checked out the 3000rpm industrial fans. Each one moves three times as much air as mine! That has to be worth a shot. With going from 3 120mm fans to 2 140mm I'd double my airflow from the front. Then another 140 for the rear and a couple 120s for the h100. Even going this and the motherboard will be cheaper than a water loop and less hassle than that or the aio gpu coolers.

3000rpm fans will be loud!

Which ones did you get LtMatt and what are you using them for?
Now that you can't get Gentle Typhoons it's always handy to know of some good static pressure fans.

Caporegime
3k rpm fans would be like going back to the old amd thunderbird days with a delta fan screaming at the top of the heatsink. Damn thing used to remind me of a Dentists drill :D

Associate
Hi, this is one for the crossfire experts among you.

My main board has 3 PCIE slots 1 runs at X16 and 2nd one runs at X8 and the third one runs at X4. If I put a card in the the X16 and a card in the X4 it will lower the speed to X8 and X4. How much performance impact would I get running 2 R290 in them both? I have looked it up and some say a lot and some say not much.

Soldato
Been running with modified volts over the last few weeks and I must say, the results are quite impressive. With -100AUX and -31 on the Core Voltage, streaming the Tennis is sitting around 68c. Before applying this profile it was 85-89c which is quite high.

Very impressed indeed.

Caporegime
Any recommendations on what I should undervolt my MSI R9 290 too? :) Just running everything stock atm, rest of pc is evga G2 supernova 750w psu, i5 750 oc to 3.8GHz (goes to 4 with turbo) and RAM @1520MHz

qeKIgzb.png

Associate
Caporegime
Been running with modified volts over the last few weeks and I must say, the results are quite impressive. With -100AUX and -31 on the Core Voltage, streaming the Tennis is sitting around 68c. Before applying this profile it was 85-89c which is quite high.

Very impressed indeed.

Good man on listening to the LT. With the reference cooler undervolting is king. It makes such a big difference to the noise and temps. I've got my cards down to -0.050v and -0.100v AUX at the moment at stock clocks.

Mei

Mei

Soldato
matt who is the one on the left in that gif

oops forgot to say something about 290's
hm humbug them powercolor's look nice 269.99 with gold ticket! thats messed up :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom