• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

Associate
So just did some testing with my gpu in my bottom most PCI-E slot

Heres the 3d Mark results with the cards in the top two slots

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/2371849

and using the top and bottom slot

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/2372057

Not as bad a hit as id have thought the bottom slot is PCI-E 3.0 x16 @ x4

Will try some actual gaming tomorrow. Might work as a temporary measure

Soldato
OP
Synthetic benchmarks will (I think) typically push more data over the PCIE, typically you don't see that kind of usage in games as they have to target lower-end systems and will avoid making assumptions about end-user hardware like having a fast PCIE link, latest PCIE version etc.

Obviously judging by that discrepancy in Firestrike Extreme, if you wanna bench multi-GPU then you're gonna need the lanes. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I have ordered myself another of these Sapphire cards as they are reference and fancy going for a drop of water cooling.

Just need to work out what I need and do a quick internet course on plumbing and all will be good.

Uncle Petey that looks nice what GPU blocks are those ?

Cheers

Soldato
OP
List of blocks in the OP with high-res pics :)

One thing that springs to mind, Moogs: BIOS switches are obscured by my xfire bridge block. It's an EK triple slot one, maybe other brands don't have this problem.

IdIFPFi.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
List of blocks in the OP with high-res pics :)

One thing that springs to mind, Moogs: BIOS switches are obscured by my xfire bridge block. It's an EK triple slot one, maybe other brands don't have this problem.

The bios switch on mine is just to switch between uefi and normal so once fitted should not need touching.

Just trying to work out CPU blocks, pumps, reservoirs, connections and piping..... :)

Soldato
Suggestions??

My reference 290 has been fine at -100AUX and -31mV in BF3 and BF4, but when it came to Borderlands 2, it totally screwed itself over.

I adjusted the AUX to -90 with maintaining the mV at -31 and it did the same. I set the AUX back to stock with the mV @ -31 and it did it again.

I'm now running at stock which is fine, but what are the recommendations? Run a benchmark while gradually brining the volts down? Which Benchmark?

Mobster
Soldato
Suggestions??

My reference 290 has been fine at -100AUX and -31mV in BF3 and BF4, but when it came to Borderlands 2, it totally screwed itself over.

I adjusted the AUX to -90 with maintaining the mV at -31 and it did the same. I set the AUX back to stock with the mV @ -31 and it did it again.

I'm now running at stock which is fine, but what are the recommendations? Run a benchmark while gradually brining the volts down? Which Benchmark?

Why dont you just run stock?

Back
Top Bottom