• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

Soldato
OP
I can't run 1200/1500 in Sleeping Dogs with my 850. Although I have a massive overvolt on my CPU too, perhaps if you have a better clocker you might make it.

Permabanned
is it normal for core clock to jump around while gaming?

edit - wish i had of kept my 7970s :(

Last edited:
Permabanned
1200mhz is max on core using trixx @ 200mv... disappointed is not the word. was hoping for a bit more after gibbos review on these cards

Last edited:
Associate
Hello Guys,

Quick question, would it work to have two R290 customs from different manufacturers running in Crossfire? Or do the cards have to be absolutely identical?

Soldato
1200mhz is max on core using trixx @ 200mv... disappointed is not the word. was hoping for a bit more after gibbos review on these cards

Hmmm, I was considering getting a couple of these due to disappointing overclocking on my reference cards.
This is food for thought...
Wonder if the MSI cards are better? Didn't Gibbo say their BIOS wasn't good?
Not sure about the Asus cards either, non-reference is a pain to watercool, plus some VRMs don't seem to be cooled well by DirectCU cooler...

I just want a couple of decent clocking cards to watercool...

Associate
Hey, iv got a msi 290 gaming, iv been reading that its reference designed with better components, if this is true would and i want to crossfire it later on would a reference full waterblock fit?

Associate
I seem to having problems with my crossfire 290's. Now ive checked both the last betas and the 13.12 drivers and whenever im using crossfire im getting really bad sound distortion and just a general laggy feeling about the game. Ive tried both grahpics cards on their own and both are working perfectly with no issues at all but whenever I try and run them both it seems to create the issue. Ive disabled ulps in afterburner and enabled crossfire in games with no profile. Ive got an i5 at 4.6 ghz and an 850watt psu

Permabanned
great... paused my movie while i went down stairs for some food came back to a black screen! first time its happened only owned the card since wednesday.

Last edited:
Soldato
great... paused my movie while i went down stairs for some food came back to a black screen! first time its happened only owned the card since wednesday.

It's happened to me too mate...at least the black screen is never while doing anything.

Something I'll live with...was the same with my HD7990 so it's a driver issue rather than a card issue in my eyes.

Associate
What's everybody's criteria for passing a certain clock? For example, on stock & 1125 I pass Valley without any crashes etc but with VERY rare flickering of dots or lines. Some context would be helpful here :)

Also when I applied +50mV for 1150 my card starting fluctuating between 1150-1000MHz. I thought the 14.1 was supposed to solve the throttling issue, wasn't it? (Power limit is already +50)

Associate
what are the r9 290 non ref fan noise like under normal conditions not overclocked in games like bf4 , cant stand fan noise and im looking for a quiet card, or are the gtx 780 better for noise levels.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom