• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**AMD Radeon 390X Graphics Card WCE**

If you just look at all the rumours from day one about the 390X 99% of them point to the 390X being a 4GB card and HBM Gen 1 being limited to 4GB. Now we get ONE unsupported article saying the card being 8GB and the reason given for this change in thinking is based on a fact which is literally impossible leads to the rational conclusion that the 390X will be 4GB.

Though since AMD have confirmed nothing and no credible leaks have appeared we don't know anything so like a broken pencil this thread is pointless.

There is nothing rational about concluding any one article is more factual than another, none of them are factual.

People are picking an article and favouring it over another, why people do this i will leave to peoples own opinions.

The fact is those people are using previous speculative articles to bolster their arguments for this equally speculative article as being factually inaccurate.

Its ridiculous.

I wasn't saying they are true or factual, I was saying if 100 people tell you one thing even though you cannot know it's true and 1 person tells you something else based on something that has to be false then it would be more rational to believe the 100 people.

I wasn't saying they are true or factual, I was saying if 100 people tell you one thing even though you cannot know it's true and 1 person tells you something else based on something that has to be false then it would be more rational to believe the 100 people.

One person says something, the other repeats it, then another and another......

The original article came from one blind speculation, it doesn't matter how many people regurgitate the same crap, its still the same crap.

Actually, the rational thing would be to discard the opinion of all 101 people and wait until you have some credible information to go off. Just because 100 people say something does not make what they are saying more true, it just means 100 people believe the same thing, regardless of whether it has one of ounce of truth.

So according to that they are using 2.5D stacking instead of 1.5D.
Which would also bring the Memory bandwidth up from 640GB/s to 1024GB/s (1TB/s)

Pitcairn: GDDR5 256Bit @ 1500Mhz x4 (190GB/s)
Tahiti: GDDR5 384Bit @ 1500Mhz x4 (288GB/s)
Hawaii: GDDR5 512Bit @ 1250Mhz x4 (340GB/s)
Fiji: HBM 2.5D @ 1250Mhz (1024GB/s)

Its a giant leap.

Last edited:
Every body saying DM and me for that matter is wrong.
Lets just get one thing clear, we haven't said that it wont be 8GB just that they cannot of changed their mind and remanufactured the chip since the Titan X reveal, as that is all the article has said they have done.

If it is a case of there was two designs then all well and good, if it was always 8GB, with 8 chips then all well and good, if it is 4 chips of gen 2 HBM giving 8GB then all well and good. But in any of those cases the article would still be wrong as it states they changed their mind and changed the card all in the last couple of weeks. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I hope for AMD's sake, it does have 8GB. Regardless of what DM has to say, most users will want more than 4GB, even if they are at 1080P.

Want and need are different things. However regardless of what you say, how many people refused to buy 980/970's because they only had 4GB... how many bought Titan's instead? How many buy 8GB 290x's over 4GB versions. We have factual proof that the vast majority of gamers don't give a damn about 8GB but you choose to believe most users want more... despite most users showing with their money that they are happy buying 4GB cards over cards with more memory?

SO what are you basing this on, what sells more, 8GB or 4GB 290x's, 6GB Titan's or 4GB 980's?

People want more memory when more than an extreme few outlying games want more memory.... I'd hazard an estimate at 97% of gamers being at 1080p, 2.5% at 1440p and 0.5% at 1440p.

Given a £400 4GB card that 99% of games won't struggle with the memory amount and a £500-550 8GB version of the same card where 99% of games don't need the extra memory, the 4GB version will outsell the 8GB version 10 fold.

Want and need are different things. However regardless of what you say, how many people refused to buy 980/970's because they only had 4GB... how many bought Titan's instead? How many buy 8GB 290x's over 4GB versions. We have factual proof that the vast majority of gamers don't give a damn about 8GB but you choose to believe most users want more... despite most users showing with their money that they are happy buying 4GB cards over cards with more memory?

SO what are you basing this on, what sells more, 8GB or 4GB 290x's, 6GB Titan's or 4GB 980's?

People want more memory when more than an extreme few outlying games want more memory.... I'd hazard an estimate at 97% of gamers being at 1080p, 2.5% at 1440p and 0.5% at 1440p.

Given a £400 4GB card that 99% of games won't struggle with the memory amount and a £500-550 8GB version of the same card where 99% of games don't need the extra memory, the 4GB version will outsell the 8GB version 10 fold.

The thing is it looks like Fiji might be the first true 4K card, IE the first card that can drive 4K like a 290/X / GTX 970/80 can 1440P.

Be that as it may it will need 8GB or its not going to be a true 4K card.

Every body saying DM and me for that matter is wrong.
Lets just get one thing clear, we haven't said that it wont be 8GB just that they cannot of changed their mind and remanufactured the chip since the Titan X reveal, as that is all the article has said they have done.

If it is a case of there was two designs then all well and good, if it was always 8GB, with 8 chips then all well and good, if it is 4 chips of gen 2 HBM giving 8GB then all well and good. But in any of those cases the article would still be wrong as it states they changed their mind and changed the card all in the last couple of weeks. :rolleyes:

People can't separate a conclusion and the reasoning for a conclusion. We're questioning his reasoning for how they got to 8GB< not the 8GB. Critical thinking has gone out of the window in the last decade or two, people can't separate a conclusion and the reasoning.

I actually still think logically thinking if it's 8GB it will be a 4 stacks and 4/8GB versions. If they are stuck with 1GB stacks 6GB makes a hell of a lot more sense than 8GB. 6 stacks will both have higher yields, lower cost, lower power usage and lower retail cost while being more than enough memory in instead of 99% of cases, 99.999% of cases.

I would be very surprised if it turned out they'd made a 8 stack version from the get go. I really do suspect that just higher density chips will have been made available long before full HBM 2 matching chips are available. 4 stacks and the ability to offer two different capacities is much more scalable.

You need to think ahead though with the new cards, most people will be keeping them for at least 2 years. We've already seen games getting close to 4GB at 1080p and it's only going to get higher in my opinion.

Also 1440p is becoming a lot more popular now with the arrival of 120/144hz 1440p screens. I'd say it's already higher than 2.5% of PC gamers using 1440p.

6GB would be the sweet spot if it's possible.

You need to think ahead though with the new cards, most people will be keeping them for at least 2 years. We've already seen games getting close to 4GB at 1080p and it's only going to get higher in my opinion.

Also 1440p is becoming a lot more popular now with the arrival of 120/144hz 1440p screens. I'd say it's already higher than 2.5% of PC gamers using 1440p.

6GB would be the sweet spot if it's possible.

With both Nvidia and AMD now doing Resolution Downscaling what resolution monitors people have is pretty much irrelevant.

Fiji with that much muscle and only 4GB IMO is also just plain silly. its like a 6 Litre V8 Muscle Car with a 4 Gallon Tank.

Buying for 2 years, personally I don't think so. With the die shrink 20nm/16nm supposedly becoming available next year, these last gasp 28nm cards will be shorter lived than the ones we have now, of course I could be wrong. :)

Back
Top Bottom