• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Radeon R9 290X with Hawaii GPU pictured, has 512-bit 4GB Memory

Soldato
That is boost clock isn't it? Actual proper OC would no doubt be higher, considering AMD were selling 7970s clocked at 1GHz out the box last gen. You might need to wait for a custom BIOS to raise power limit/disable boost/etc to unlock the full potential.

God I can't wait to get 2 of these under water! :D

Soldato
"The leaker claims that his sample could run at 1020 MHz core clock and 1250 MHz memory clock. That would be the peak performance for the new Radeon (we don’t know yet if this is the reference clock)."

http://videocardz.com/45753/amd-radeon-r9-290x-slightly-faster-gtx-titan

So it looks like those benchmarks we have seen might have been with the card running at its maximum overclock.Obviously don't know whether that was with any voltage increases.

I would imagine 1.3GHZ will be the ceiling with max allowed volts, under water.

Caporegime
OP
But why is it clocked so low...

RGhWFCq.jpg.png

The day AMD stick Elpida memory on the flagship gpu is a sad day for mankind. :(

I can't see it happening. Hopefully they' don't. ;)

"The leaker claims that his sample could run at 1020 MHz core clock and 1250 MHz memory clock. That would be the peak performance for the new Radeon (we don’t know yet if this is the reference clock)."

http://videocardz.com/45753/amd-radeon-r9-290x-slightly-faster-gtx-titan

So it looks like those benchmarks we have seen might have been with the card running at its maximum overclock.Obviously don't know whether that was with any voltage increases.

That will probably be the default boost clock id expect.

TDP 250w is likely reason.

This.

Last edited:
Soldato
Same here. Very expensive back in the day but it's the best piece of hardware I ever bought. Considering how long I've had it, it's also the best value.

Dell's warranty is best on monitors as well. If you're buying from UK, Dell is the best option imho. My bro had a Dell 1900 x 1200 something or other that had some power problem after years of use. Dell came out, might of even been next day and gave him brand new refurb that is still going strong today.

Man of Honour
Dell's warranty is best on monitors as well. If you're buying from UK, Dell is the best option imho. My bro had a Dell 1900 x 1200 something or other that had some power problem after years of use. Dell came out, might of even been next day and gave him brand new refurb that is still going strong today.

I love my Dell 30" monitor, when 4K does arrive I don,t want it all packed into a 32" screen I need a bigger screen so I can play Civ5 and RTW2 type games with more on screen.

Caporegime
Sorry i had a load of different posts quoted and misunderstood, I've edited my post. :)

Just for the record as well, i was talking about memory clock as that is what everyone was on about.

I just thought perhaps they were mentioning the 1250mhz was the peak memory clock they could get seen as the ref clock is supposed to be less.

1125mhz does seem like a very low ref clock

Obviously with overvolting the core will go further than 1020mhz :p

Soldato
So AMD take the single GPU performance crown back, what will be Nvidia's answer?

Will the titan and 780 drop in price when they get kicked to the kerb by the 290x? that's if it even comes in cheaper.

Caporegime
So AMD take the single GPU performance crown back, what will be Nvdia's answer?

Will the titan and 780 drop in price when they get kicked to the kerb by the 290x? that's if it even comes in cheaper.

All going to be about price. If it is $650 as rumoured (which will be £550 or thereabouts here) then I think AMD are a bit too late to the party.

If they price it under the 780 (so £450) then they will be on to a winner and Nvidia would probably have no choice but to lower prices/release a Titan ultra (and therefore re shuffle the price points of 780 and titan)

Wednesday will be interesting, even though i have no intention of ever spending ~£500 on a graphics card :p

Soldato
Let's wait and see if AMD have enough extra grunt to warrant losing 3D, hopefully we get some actual proper benchmarks on the 25th as i'll put off building my mATX rig if they make it worthwhile :D

Back
Top Bottom