• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Radeon R9 290X with Hawaii GPU pictured, has 512-bit 4GB Memory

Soldato
If you're getting 750w from the official recommendations, you can probably just ignore it. They are always incredibly cautious. Sort of like best before dates on food.

Last edited:
Soldato

Ooooh, Metro Last Light! Awesome, can barely remember the time when people weren't all talking about how bad they wanted that game! /Sarcasm
Got any Spellforce 2 performance charts :p

lots of people have the card, no complaints from them.
if it was an issue like Nvidia drivers burning your cards or getting a class action suit agasint you then I guess the buyers would be vocal but now?

On this here AMD forum? Of course they wouldn't, what sort of fanboys would they be then! :)
You'd have to be somewhat impartial to criticise the card you own surely? :p

Soldato
You are really reaching Boom. Finding faults is one thing but harping on and on about the same thing, cherry picking parts of reviews that support your argument and constantly refering back to the two review sites that are very negative about the 290x is getting very tiresome.

Most of the review sites give the 290x an award despite having high temps and noise. This alone should show how good AMD have done with this card, that even sites with a known Nvidia bias can give it an award.

And if you look at the results, take the Furmark benchmark. There is only 10 degrees between a reference 780 and the 290x in ubermode.

Now take a look a the 480 that you are so fond of mentioning as an example of Nvidia getting slated for high temps. Well, lets take a look at why it was getting slated. It wasn't much faster than the 5870. It was over 20 degrees hotter at loads. The 480 also used over 100watts more power than the 5870, heck it used more power than the 5970, a dual gpu!! It was all these things and still cost around £100 more than the 5870. And you also got to remember that the 480 was on a die shrink as welll.

So you example doesn't really support your argument in anyway. In fact it highlights how durable GPU's are. There are 480's still around today working fine.

The biggest thing you forgot was the 480 was very late and when it did eventually release it was still broken

Soldato
The biggest thing you forgot was the 480 was very late and when it did eventually release it was still broken

Having had a 480 until very recently, it was still an epic card at high resolution (1920*1200) and was nowhere near as noisy as people made out. It was hot, but it dealt with it just fine, and I suspect the 290X will be just the same. Hopefully just as epic. If you know how to tweak the cards, then you will benefit massively over those that don't.

It is a shame it's looking so hot, there is no doubt about that. Luckily it performs very well, and clocks well, so in part can be forgiven. If it didn't, then it would be a very different story.

Associate
Having had a 480 until very recently, it was still an epic card at high resolution (1920*1200) and was nowhere near as noisy as people made out. It was hot, but it dealt with it just fine, and I suspect the 290X will be just the same. Hopefully just as epic. If you know how to tweak the cards, then you will benefit massively over those that don't.

It is a shame it's looking so hot, there is no doubt about that. Luckily it performs very well, and clocks well, so in part can be forgiven. If it didn't, then it would be a very different story.

one of those after market air coolers when they release should sort the heat out

Soldato
dom99,

MartynB85,

You won't be ripping the cooler of yours without voiding the warranty if you were thinking about it, MSi only let oCuk customers rip the cooler off without voiding the warranty.;)

@boom, give it a rest eh?

You keep telling us it's banter, no chance, your in trolling territory now, disappointed to say the least.:(

Caporegime
dom99,

MartynB85,

You won't be ripping the cooler of yours without voiding the warranty if you were thinking about it, MSi only let oCuk customers rip the cooler off without voiding the warranty.;)

@Boom, give it a rest eh?

You keep telling us it's banter, no chance, your in trolling territory now, disappointed to say the least.:(

I am also bored of those pics all the time.

Man of Honour
I think it is absolutely fantastic that the R9 290X can hit 95c and handle it.

What this means to me is I can fit the waterblocks I have on order, run the cards @35c and stick lots of volts through them without having to worry about overheating.

And this is what I will be playing when benching four R9 290Xs

Back
Top Bottom