• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Radeon R9 Nano coming next week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Well if that price is indeed correct, this will be a poor seller. It needed to be priced around the 970 really. Seeing this launch of Fiji has me scratching my head in terms of "what the hell are AMD doing"? Poor stock levels and silly high prices in an ever declining market just wreaks of fail. There is only so much charity that can be dished out before people have had enough.

I don't think AMD give a hoot about volume at the moment, they are purely milking the few cards they have to sell and drip feeding them in to keep the price high

Reducing the price to where they shift volume would probably mean low margins, so they may as well make some money on what they do sell

Soldato
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9564/amd-announces-radeon-r9-nano-shipping-september-10th

According to AMD the card should generally sustain clockspeeds around 900MHZ and boost in less intensive times to around 1GHZ. So the,Fury X should be around 10% to 15% faster overall,so it will be close to an R9 Fury but in a mini-ITX form factor.

Looking at the latest TPU figures in their GTX950 reviews,it should place it overall faster than a GTX980 it appears:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_950_Gaming/30.html

However,I think AMD should have priced this closer to £400ish,or not more than £450 at the most,and thats taking into account the smaller form factor when compared to the GTX980 and the "newness" tax.

Having said that it is one of the few graphics cards I have been excited about for a few years,the other being the mini-ITX GTX970. Shame its way above what I would be willing to spend.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thinking about it.

If the performance is as has been suggested, the cost of upgrading a PSU might well be negated and thus making the Nano a more affordable offering.....

Just a thought.

Soldato
Thing is from what I have read the R9 Fury is not a 4k card yet the pic above is billing the Nano as a 4k card.

Something doesnt quite ring true there.

No card is really a 4K card if you up the details,but it might be more the case at higher resolutions the Fiji based cards are more competitive with the higher end Nvidia cards,so that is why AMD marketing uses the 4K comparisons.

It will be interesting to see how DX12 games run on this,since Fiji is quite competitive with the GM200 in the GTX980TI in the few benchmarks released so far,so I wonder how well the GTX980 and Fury Nano will perform in them.

Soldato
To be honest, there's no single card that does 4K really well unless you start dropping settings, which kinda defeats the point of going 4K to supposedly get a better image quality

4K is the new buzzword and both sides are guilty of overusing it imo

Caporegime
well I am not sure about that Greg

if Eurogamer is correct then it would totally own the 970

Edited as I cant see much more than two inches today, so expect garbled spelling mistakes....

Exactly, performance is supposedly better than a 980, so not sure why anyone would suggest it should be price same as a 970. If performance was at 970 level then sure, but if this is a 980 beater in a small form factor than £380 > £399 would have been ok. Close to £500, um no that's to much. Good luck with that AMD.

£380 / 980 performance level with form factor giving it an edge would have been spot on.

I don't think AMD give a hoot about volume at the moment, they are purely milking the few cards they have to sell and drip feeding them in to keep the price high

Reducing the price to where they shift volume would probably mean low margins, so they may as well make some money on what they do sell

My thoughts are on this being a "super quick card" and a great potential to tap into the mini itx cases. With a card that is faster than a 980 and priced under a 970, it has the potential to sell like hot cakes but Andy brings a fair point and could well be the case. No stock of Fiji has been readily available, so maybe they are happy to drip feed at high prices?

My post wasn't saying it is a 970 competitor and tiredness from me might not have made that clear sorry.

Caporegime
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9564/amd-announces-radeon-r9-nano-shipping-september-10th

According to AMD the card should generally sustain clockspeeds around 900MHZ and boost in less intensive times to around 1GHZ. So the,Fury X should be around 10% to 15% faster overall,so it will be close to an R9 Fury but in a mini-ITX form factor.

Looking at the latest TPU figures in their GTX950 reviews,it should place it overall faster than a GTX980 it appears:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_950_Gaming/30.html

However,I think AMD should have priced this closer to £400ish,or not more than £450 at the most,and thats taking into account the smaller form factor when compared to the GTX980 and the "newness" tax.

Having said that it is one of the few graphics cards I have been excited about for a few years,the other being the mini-ITX GTX970. Shame its way above what I would be willing to spend.

The Fury is £450, the 980 is also £450, if this is as fast as a Fury, faster than a 980 with better power consumption than a 980 then it would fit into a price bracket higher than both.

Soldato
My thoughts are on this being a "super quick card" and a great potential to tap into the mini itx cases. With a card that is faster than a 980 and priced under a 970, it has the potential to sell like hot cakes but Andy brings a fair point and could well be the case. No stock of Fiji has been readily available, so maybe they are happy to drip feed at high prices?

My post wasn't saying it is a 970 competitor and tiredness from me might not have made that clear sorry.

I think with this being in short supply they will get away with charging 980ti prices for it. If it weren't it would simply sell out to the people who want it then sit on shelves.

I had it right all along.. AMD are doing a Cartmanland. Open a theme park advertise it on TV but don't let any one in, thus making them desperate to get in.

Whatever. I was going to get a Nano in a few weeks, now I will just get a Pro. Powercolor's is going to be £439 IIRC, that'll do for me :)

Caporegime
They won't want to price it same/lower than standard Fury as then they'll struggle to shift the imperfect dies because nobody will be buying Fury, Nano dies are probably better quality than Fury X ones so there was always going to be a heavy price premium.

It would have made more sense for them to release Nano as even more gimped than Fury and keep price closer to 970, even if they didn't win on performance it was a good way to shift low quality dies.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I think with this being in short supply they will get away with charging 980ti prices for it. If it weren't it would simply sell out to the people who want it then sit on shelves.

I had it right all along.. AMD are doing a Cartmanland. Open a theme park advertise it on TV but don't let any one in, thus making them desperate to get in.

Whatever. I was going to get a Nano in a few weeks, now I will just get a Pro. Powercolor's is going to be £439 IIRC, that'll do for me :)

Yer, Fury is a good move for your system and I can't help but think of what is what with this only having an 8 pin connector onboard and someone mentioned it not being Crossfire capable (not sure if that is correct).

Soldato
Yer, Fury is a good move for your system and I can't help but think of what is what with this only having an 8 pin connector onboard and someone mentioned it not being Crossfire capable (not sure if that is correct).

XFire is done through the PCI-E bus with the latter AMD cards,so unlikely.

The Fury is £450, the 980 is also £450, if this is as fast as a Fury, faster than a 980 with better power consumption than a 980 then it would fit into a price bracket higher than both.

Its more the case they are opening themselves up for the card to be compared to the GTX980TI instead of the GTX980 which is around £380 to £450 mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom