• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Radeon R9 Nano coming next week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Because there are those that believe shouting "Fury X is no faster than 970" enough times will make it true :p

yea they need to stop trolling ;)

Zaltan who's a known game developer that hangs out in a few forums stated while go just how fast they were and he didn't expect to seem them priced less than 650.

He's got access to one; says its easily within 10% speed of Fury X but so much less power.....as a developer he'd be buying several and so will others that work with him as there is no other card that can come pair to it.....then wouldn't say anything else on it.

Anandtechh forums...

Caporegime
It can't be the same performance as Fury X due to the cooling and a likely TDP cap, it is bizarre that they are selling a full Fiji in such a card though as they'll have to price it at a point that makes it largely unattractive.

They'd have been better using those Nano dies in Fury Pro with a reduced clockspeed and using the cut down Fury pro chips in Nano, enabling them to better compete with GTX970 on price.

Caporegime
It can't be the same performance as Fury X due to the cooling and a likely TDP cap, it is bizarre that they are selling a full Fiji in such a card though as they'll have to price it at a point that makes it largely unattractive.

They'd have been better using those Nano dies in Fury Pro with a reduced clockspeed and using the cut down Fury pro chips in Nano, enabling them to better compete with GTX970 on price.

The 390 already competes with the GTX 970.

No i think what AMD are doing is a good idea, if its capable of 90% the performance of a Fury-X with 50% - 60% the power consumption then i think AMD should keep it like that.

Caporegime
If its a fully enabled Figi according to Guru3D, making it same performance as Fury X, why would they price it at 970 levels?

Because at 1080p it's going to be only 10-15% out performance wise but close to double the cost. nVidia only need to counter with a decent clocked mITX 980 (at £100 less) and it's even-Stevens...

Soldato

No i think what AMD are doing is a good idea, if its capable of 90% the performance of a Fury-X with 50% - 60% the power consumption then i think AMD should keep it like that.
Also people keep on banging on dx11 performance comparison, but I got a feeling that when dx12 is in full swing, the Fury series will pull away from the 390 series cards, and the 390 series cards would in turn pull away from the 970, possibly exposing what Nvidia sacrificed in order to acheive the so-called "efficiency" for their mid-range Maxwell that they sold off as high-end.

Caporegime

Who would go with a 390 in a SFF system? they're longer than most cases and that's not even considering heat and noise.

I think some of you are missing the point that Nano is aimed at SFF users.

Last edited:
Associate
In the video posted it looks like the fans are spinning backwards, that might be a trick of the camera though

970 can beat a Fury X in old unoptimized games that favour current nvidia hardware like Skyrim

I like fury x for the aesthetics, have you seen those pcb ? it looks very organized, also the LED are cool if you use a case window

Permabanned
Who would go with a 390 in a SFF system? they're longer than most cases and that's not even considering heat and noise.

Which is exactly why open bench reviews like Guru's are useless, You won't get too see how it's going to perform for you in a rig. Will it throttle will it downclock? Not in there review it won't which will paint it in the best light possible, There probably doing it to get back on AMD's good side after the 'I want too see it now but they won't let me rant' video they posted which lost them there Fury X release review opportunity (That was them wasn't it?)

Caporegime

Then AMD should get the Power consumption down for GPU's at that level, preferably without sacrificing any of its architectural features.

Also people keep on banging on dx11 performance comparison, but I got a feeling that when dx12 is in full swing, the Fury series will pull away from the 390 series cards, and the 390 series cards would in turn pull away from the 970, possibly exposing what Nvidia sacrificed in order to acheive the so-called "efficiency" for their mid-range Maxwell that they sold off as high-end.

Caporegime
Then AMD should get the Power consumption down for GPU's at that level, preferably without sacrificing any of its architectural features.

The main issue getting 390 the same size as 970/Nano will probably be that it has a 512bit memory bus which requires a bigger more complex PCB, if they knocked it down to 256bit like 970 and then reduce clockspeed/voltage to reduce TDP it'll no longer be as competitive anyway so they'd be wasting their time.

Nano should be a stripped down core (eg 3072 shaders) at similar price to 970, as it stands it's going to sell about as well as Fury X due to the price. It seems like AMD don't even want to sell Fiji based cards (and 390 series for that matter) the way they are going.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The main issue getting 390 the same size as 970/Nano will probably be that it has a 512bit memory bus which requires a bigger more complex PCB, if they knocked it down to 256bit like 970 and then reduce clockspeed/voltage to reduce TDP it'll no longer be as competitive anyway so they'd be wasting their time.

Nano should be a stripped down core at similar price to 970, as it stands it's going to sell about as well as Fury X due to the price.

We will have to wait and see what AMD did with Nano and how they did it, i doubt just binning and reducing the clock speed is what has these things running sub 175 Watts, i think one of the leaks had the actual power consumption at around 150 to 160 Watts, which would make sense given that AMD treat TDP as it should be, a thermal dissipation guyed.

AMD do have some very clever power management systems in operation on other products, with them Carrizo uses half the power of Kaveri with higher performance.
We have yet to see that technology enter mainstream GPU's, hopefully Nano is the first of many.

Caporegime
We will have to wait and see what AMD did with Nano and how they did it, i doubt just binning and reducing the clock speed is what has these things running sub 175 Watts, i think one of the leaks had the actual power consumption at around 150 to 160 Watts, which would make sense given that AMD treat TDP as it should be, a thermal dissipation guyed.

AMD do have some very clever power management systems in operation on other products, with them Carrizo uses half the power of Kaveri with higher performance.
We have yet to see that technology enter mainstream GPU's, hopefully Nano is the first of many.

Sorry mate, but if the Nano is the same performance as the FuryX, but due to more advanced technology needs only 60% of the power, then why release the FuryX...?

Everybody who is expecting this thing to be a FuryX performance whilst miraculously using almost half the power is drinking the AMD koolaid by the gallon.

I just makes absolutely zero sense to release a card like the FuryX in that case.

Caporegime
Sorry mate, but if the Nano is the same performance as the FuryX, but due to more advanced technology needs only 60% of the power, then why release the FuryX...?

Everybody who is expecting this thing to be a FuryX performance whilst miraculously using almost half the power is drinking the AMD koolaid by the gallon.

I just makes absolutely zero sense to release a card like the FuryX in that case.

Not "The same performance as Fury-X" i never said that but with a full fat Fiji chip it shouldn't be far off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom