• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Radeon R9 Nano coming next week

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still very much interested in Nano even though there is little chance of me getting one, its performance per watt is potentially better than Maxwell and that's saying a lot.
If it turns out to have anything like the perf/watt of Maxwell for me AMD will have answered the power consumption questions going forward,. loud and clear.

Just like the Fury X, this card looks awesome, but I don't see myself using one.

It's price is so high, though.

Exactly that, there is a lot riding on this to see just how good Fiji can be in the lower power environment, just how much will it down clock itself to stay under its thermal and power limits and just how much performance will it actually have in everyday gaming situations.
Only another week till we find out, hopefully.

I got the cash but its just too expensive to jump in even though I can afford. WTF is AMD doing.

Last edited:
This here, AMD have been screwing up over the last few years consistently when it comes to pricing.
Last few years?

AMD have offer better bang for bucks, until the recent rare exceptions of 970 and 980Ti came along. At all other price brackets, they still offer better bang for bucks than Nvidia's offerings...

Remember for people who had around £300 to spend, to choose between AMD and Nvidia, it was to choose between the 290 4GB and the GTX770 2GB, and then further down the line at around £200-£260, it was to choose between the 290 4GB, GTX760 2GB and and GTX770 2GB?

Last edited:
Last few years?

Yup. Initial prices of 7970, 7950.

Prices of rebranded 280 series (more expensive than 7900 series).

Price of 285 (Tonga).

It's 100% fair to say they've been over-pricing their cards for years. That alone has cost them sales.

Let's face it, who in their right mind bought a 285? Anybody? /tumbleweed

How many people rushed to buy 280s before the mining craze took off?

There have been a couple times now where AMD has given worse price/perf on launching a new generation of cards.

Anything higher the GTX 970 / R9 390 is over priced. < I still think they should be cheaper.

GTX 970 / R9 390 is around £270, GTX 980 is around £400+ for 15% more performance than its little brother while the 390X is around £350, i think thats shocking on both AMD and Nvidia.

When I bought my 7970 it was about £350 on offer and I thought that was too much. :p

Since then they keep getting more expensive.

yeah but we all have AMD to thank that 980Ti isn't £6000 and Intel processors aren't £3000.... whatever would we do without them keeping prices down.

:p

yeah but we all have AMD to thank that 980Ti isn't £6000 and Intel processors aren't £3000.... whatever would we do without them keeping prices down.

Without AMD you wouldn't have seen the 980Ti released just 2-3 months after the TitanX...

Without AMD you wouldn't have seen the 980Ti released just 2-3 months after the TitanX...

A stupid move by Nvidia if you go by what everyone says on here, as no need to release it with the FX only being around the 980, and the 980 being much cheaper, everyone would have either just bought that, or gone for the TX, a Nvidia win either way, releasing the Ti, they just killed off their more expensive TX, and cost themselves and extra £400+ per card profit :D

Without the Ti

Titan X
980 - FuryX
Fury - 390X/290X
Nano - 970

With the Ti

Titan X - 980Ti
980 - FuryX
Fury - 390X/290X
Nano - 970

Bolded cards being the cheaper, and the ones to buy.

Last edited:
All the top cards are grossly overpriced, but thanks to clever marketing where they set a stupid high price on release then drop it they have reviewers etc convincing people £500 is a bargain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom