• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Radeon R9 Nano coming next week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
It will be rubbish like the fury and furyX, I've given up PC gaming for now except for diablo3 as it runs sweet on my current setup.

I won't buy AMD's current crop of junk right now and flatly refuse to support Nvidia with a single penny ever again.

Was hoping the furyX and fury cards would be great, they aren't, so I expect this spud to be more of the same, underperformaning and overpriced with no free games.

No wonder AMD going down the pan faster than last night curry haha. Best thing they could have done is pulled the fury and Nano after the farce of the furyX with its bad cooler and limited stock until they had both those sorted, and then revised both. As it stands now you just get to fork out a lot of cash for subpar hardware and have the pleasure of a lottery on actually getting a card without some form of defect, after you have waited weeks upon weeks for it to arrive

Well done AMD

I take it you love AMD then?:D:D

That whole post was stunning to read thank you.

bru

bru

Soldato
Dual Nano would be very disappointing in my opinion, unfortunately just as I'm half expecting the Nano to be.

The furyX2 will be a fire breathing monster, albeit a cool one with dual water pumps (hopefully quiet ones), and probably a thicker 120mm radiator.

The card that I'm looking forward to design wise, will be the dual TitanXX (if they make one). As I wold expect NVidia to go the AIO water cooler route as well, some form of hybrid 690 cooler design but with added water pipes.:)

Caporegime
TBH i don't think that would be a bad price?:confused: wasn't the Titan X more than that on launch?

It'll be the fastest card available, not far off twice as fast a TX, of course AMD are going to make you pay for it.

Think he was talking Nano ;)

AMD have lost the plot a little lately on cards, but you can't blame them when HBM is so constrained...

Soldato
I'm still skeptical about the full Fiji rumours though, it just makes no sense why AMD would sell their best dies in a low end SFF card, unless perhaps HBM yields are not that great and Nano uses the Fury dies that can't run at 500Mhz memory or a reduced bus width or something.

I am willing to bet that the HMB yields are not that great and neither are the chunkier Fury yields. There probably isnt a way to salvage the bad HMB chips but the dodgy GPUs could be downclocked/cores disabled and resold. Wouldn't surprise me if the Nano is just the sketchy full fat chips, not particularly a bad thing if it is good at the lowered speed. We may even see some people pump the clock up to some silly speed closer to the full fat fury if that is the case.

If i feel the need to get away from my collection of 290x's i will look into getting a x2 and slap some real water cooling on it. I am surprised that the Aio pump noise fiasco didnt convert some users to custom cooling.

Soldato
OP
AMD Radeon R9 Nano Nears Launch, 50% Higher Performance per Watt over Fury X

AMD's ultra-compact graphics card based on its "Fiji" silicon, the Radeon R9 Nano (or R9 Fury-Nano), is nearing its late-August/early-September launch. At its most recent "Hot Chips" presentation, AMD put out more interesting numbers related to the card. To begin with, it lives up to the promise of being faster than the R9 290X, at nearly half its power draw.

http://www.techpowerup.com/215486/a...-higher-performance-per-watt-over-fury-x.html

jPNe8F7.png

Last edited:
Caporegime
X2 PCB looks very cool, sure hope it si not a astrated dual ano but full fat Fiji. Nvidiai will find it much harder to compete with that nad will have a veyr awkward time with the costs.

But I think the X2 is some way off. If they can't even release FuryX in quantities the X2 will be a long way off, and by then way too close to Pascal launch.

Caporegime
The X2 will be a hell of a card with DX12, it probably offers the most longevity in the Fury range.

I' not sure it will have much longevitity with only 4GB Vram per core. There will be a big jump in available VRam next year (high end at 16GB, mid-end at 8GB), and DX12 will allow a much higher VRam usage with lower drawcall and context switching costs.

the Fury X2 certainly has the grunt to do well and should be faster than the next gen chips when there is solid scaling, but they will get crippled by some next gen games when using higher settings. That probably doesn't matter if you are willing to dump the X2 once Pascal/greenland comes out.

Soldato
I like the idea of the Nano it's the one I'd buy, but I expect it will be too expensive and I have waited and waited for it, I fear the 970 itx could be a better alternative. The performance/watt of the Nano compared to the 290x could just be Amd marketing guff (similar to overclockers dream) if they compare the Nano to the 290x ref card using old drivers and high voltage+ throttling.

The x2 card looks to be dual Nano as it only has 2x 8-pin connectors.

bru

bru

Soldato
The performance/watt of the Nano compared to the 290x could just be Amd marketing guff (similar to overclockers dream) if they compare the Nano to the 290x ref card using old drivers and high voltage+ throttling.

According to the footnotes slide in the article, the power efficiency they use is measured by memory GB/s of bandwidth, but then the same footnote mentioneds 10.66 GB/s vs 35+GB/s which isn't really relevant to the graph at all.

Soldato
OP
I like the idea of the Nano it's the one I'd buy, but I expect it will be too expensive and I have waited and waited for it, I fear the 970 itx could be a better alternative.

Agreed, pricing will make or break it. I'm sure it will be a great card just like like Fury X and Fury, but pricing will decide whether it's worth considering VS Nvidia's alternatives.

If pricing is ok I'll pick one up for my boys MITX build. Obviously I will have a play with it first and see what it can do :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom