• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Radeon R9 Nano coming next week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
Is anyone going to buy one of these nano cards ?

I just got a Fury tri'x so no but I'm extremely annoyed that I couldn't get a full Fiji chip on air and now this uses the full chip while being unable to utilize it fully.

It's probably going to be a case of there being a few on release and then no more stock after that anyway but that's not the point.

Soldato
Is anyone going to buy one of these nano cards ?

I'm interested but like all cards, it will come down to where it falls in terms of performance and price.

I am getting a little excited though, seems it's a full 4096 shader part with the capability to clock upto 1GHz? Surely that's going to put it very close to the Fury at least, depending on clock profiles? (It does still have to hit a 175W target)

Caporegime
30% faster at 4K in handpicked benchmarks by AMD probably translates to matching GTX970 at most lower resolutions.

Interested to see the price of this by my reckoning it's going to be at least £450.

Soldato
Interesting the fully fury core is cooled by one fan , i do realise its down clocked slightly, would have been nice to see some AIB furyX cards instead of just the AIO

Associate
I have no idea why AMD totally cannibalised their Fury release to such a degree. Maybe if they had the stock lying around it wouldn't be so bad, but this just seems insane.

I wonder if there will be any downsides to the Nano running throttled permanently.

Soldato
Interesting the fully fury core is cooled by one fan , i do realise its down clocked slightly, would have been nice to see some AIB furyX cards instead of just the AIO

If they had released 4096 on air then it would have shown that fiji draws too much current when trying to scale with clockspeeds above 1100mhz and 1.3 voltage. Hence why the 4096 was used with coolant.

For the Nano the sweet spot is to downclock and undervolt the core voltage. Just like they did with it's little brother Tonga m295x.

Soldato
If they had released 4096 on air then it would have shown that fiji draws too much current when trying to scale with clockspeeds above 1100mhz and 1.3 voltage. Hence why the 4096 was used with coolant.

For the Nano the sweet spot is to downclock and undervolt the core voltage. Just like they did with it's little brother Tonga m295x.

Nano has the 4096 core, its only cut down in core speed not cores
1000 core vs 1050core speed, yes i'd assume the nano wont sit at 1000 due to thermal/current draw but we will have to wait for reviews to see

Soldato
Nano has the 4096 core, its only cut down in core speed not cores
1000 core vs 1050core speed, yes i'd assume the nano wont sit at 1000 due to thermal/current draw but we will have to wait for reviews to see

Yeah I know Nano specs state a 4096 core I didn't say it would have disabled cu's,but it won't be using 1.25v like the 4096 fury-x does, and the voltage reg will probably be locked.
It will probably use 1.17v like the 3584.
We all agree it probably won't run anywhere near the 1ghz unless the temp holds around 85c.

You said you wished they made a 4096 full core on air cooling, I'm stating one of the reasons they didn't do that but instead disabled 4 cu's and went with 3584.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom