• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT & Radeon RX 5500 7nm Navi 14 GPUs Unveiled

Permabanned
Its performance to watt ratio is terrible. 20% worse ! than the RX 5700 at 1080p and 1440p and mind blowing 45% worse ! at 2160p.
Something's wrong with the card.

Permabanned
This one is 4gig with a 128bit bus.

GTX 1650 is also 4 GB with 128-bit MI but the fact doesn't stop it to hold the performance crown in the performance per watt graph.

The RX 5500 should be a 75W card, without any power connectors.

Performance-per-watt-graph.png

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-5500/29.html

Last edited:
Associate
Its performance to watt ratio is terrible. 20% worse ! than the RX 5700 at 1080p and 1440p and mind blowing 45% worse ! at 2160p.
Something's wrong with the card.

I never trust that reviewer. If you look at the bar chart, there are 3 games that pull the P/P down hard. It's like . . . oh, yah, lets make sure we include these games.

Permabanned
I never trust that reviewer. If you look at the bar chart, there are 3 games that pull the P/P down hard. It's like . . . oh, yah, lets make sure we include these games.

I also don't trust them but they are one of the most recognised reviewers, so I literally have no choice but to use them as a reference.

I think AMD must take it seriously and address the issues/bias of techpowerup. Maybe some warnings should be sent to them to fix their reviews with more honest and correct results.

Soldato
I also don't trust them but they are one of the most recognised reviewers, so I literally have no choice but to use them as a reference.

I think AMD must take it seriously and address the issues/bias of techpowerup. Maybe some warnings should be sent to them to fix their reviews with more honest and correct results.
They aren't lieing about anything. I don't think AMD should get involved at all. Just a shame reviewers have bias in this manner. I thought it was a fairly good review tbh. For pricing.. I would look to how AMD priced against the competing products with 5700

Permabanned
They aren't lieing about anything. I don't think AMD should get involved at all. Just a shame reviewers have bias in this manner. I thought it was a fairly good review tbh. For pricing.. I would look to how AMD priced against the competing products with 5700

I think they remain silent on issues which they must mention. For example, in order to solve the extremely high power consumption at default, AMD cards are subject to undervolting and underclocking.
If they do overclock test in a benchmark that heavily favours nvidia and include games which don't run properly on Radeon, thus shifting the overall results against Radeon and in favour of nvidia.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Pretty disappointed with the 5500 and quiet shocked they have a 4x extra power draw with dual screen set up compared to say an 1650, I expected better performance vs watts but again the 1650 is almost using half the wattage @ load with similar performance, expected AMD to have no power connectors, fan stop tech and more energy efficiency overall considering it has better technology under the hood, but AMD missed the mark here.

Even 1650 supers are a tad disappointing too, they have an extra power connector and appears no fan stop tech like the original 1650, if you are gaming and don't care about heat or power use then none of these cards make sense with 590 8gig @ 149.99 from ocuk.

Associate
Doesn’t look like a terrible card, seems to perform decent at 1080p. Doesn’t really offer much over the 570 though which is decently priced

Soldato
Pretty disappointed with the 5500 and quiet shocked they have a 4x extra power draw with dual screen set up compared to say an 1650, I expected better performance vs watts but again the 1650 is almost using half the wattage @ load with similar performance, expected AMD to have no power connectors, fan stop tech and more energy efficiency overall considering it has better technology under the hood, but AMD missed the mark here.

Even 1650 supers are a tad disappointing too, they have an extra power connector and appears no fan stop tech like the original 1650, if you are gaming and don't care about heat or power use then none of these cards make sense with 590 8gig @ 149.99 from ocuk.

Bear in mind this is an OEM card, and not retail, so give AMD a little slack here.

Soldato
Doesn’t look like a terrible card, seems to perform decent at 1080p. Doesn’t really offer much over the 570 though which is decently priced

This is where I am... 3 years later..... still paying the same money for exactly the same performance.

I am however considering this card + the xt variant, and the 1650 super.

What I want thought is the 5700 or 5700 xt and hoping the wife will agree to it. It got really tough after her surgery (76k ain't no joke), but we have been working our butts off so hoping I can get the higher card :)

Associate
This is where I am... 3 years later..... still paying the same money for exactly the same performance.

I am however considering this card + the xt variant, and the 1650 super.

What I want thought is the 5700 or 5700 xt and hoping the wife will agree to it. It got really tough after her surgery (76k ain't no joke), but we have been working our butts off so hoping I can get the higher card :)

The vega56 is decently priced and will perform far better than the 1650/s and the 5500.

$76k for surgery? Wowsers

Soldato
The vega56 is decently priced and will perform far better than the 1650/s and the 5500.

$76k for surgery? Wowsers

Unfortunately not a typo (but totally worth it for her). Anyway...

I am looking round for Vega 56 and deals seem rare now. 1650 super/5500 or xt depending on cost... Or the 5700 or xt.

Is the asrock Challenger any good? What is the card to go for right now? I see gigabyte being recommended for the 5700 which surprised me.

I do wonder how far the 5500s can be pushed though. Low power, decent cooling, decent power stages.

Associate
Unfortunately not a typo (but totally worth it for her). Anyway...

I am looking round for Vega 56 and deals seem rare now. 1650 super/5500 or xt depending on cost... Or the 5700 or xt.

Is the asrock Challenger any good? What is the card to go for right now? I see gigabyte being recommended for the 5700 which surprised me.

I do wonder how far the 5500s can be pushed though. Low power, decent cooling, decent power stages.

I havent heard much about about the Asrock, personally my preference would be

1. Sapphire
  2. Power colour
  3. Gigabyte
P.S hope everything is ok with your wife

Soldato
If it comes in at £100 then it's a good card, any more than that and it's missed the point completely
Not an ice cube chance in hell it's going to sell for £100. Looking at the TPU review the performance of this chip is equivalent of the 1650 super 4Gb which is a £150 card, I would expect this to sell for around £130-£140 mark which will make it competitive at this price level.

Back
Top Bottom