• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT & Radeon RX 5500 7nm Navi 14 GPUs Unveiled

Don
Not an ice cube chance in hell it's going to sell for £100. Looking at the TPU review the performance of this chip is equivalent of the 1650 super 4Gb which is a £150 card, I would expect this to sell for around £130-£140 mark which will make it competitive at this price level.

I know - it's just disappointing that performance hasn't moved on at this price range. When an RX590 is available now and likely costs the same, and even a 4 year old RX480 isn't going to be far behind in performance.

Soldato
Prices are getting sane again slowly. Mining madness and then Nvidia exploiting their position (which I don't really have issue with... Only their crappy underhand business dealings.).

No way I am paying 449 for an 5700. On the street prices I am ok with. They aren't amazing, but it is what it is.

Permabanned
Prices are getting sane again slowly. Mining madness and then Nvidia exploiting their position (which I don't really have issue with... Only their crappy underhand business dealings.).

No way I am paying 449 for an 5700. On the street prices I am ok with. They aren't amazing, but it is what it is.

But you can this and flash it with XT BIOS, underclock and undervolt, and you will get almost the latter performance.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £309.89 (includes shipping: £9.90)​

Associate
I am thinking of buying the RX5500 when it comes out, given the predicted mid-price range. I notice that most cards these days have two or even three fans so how come the 5500 only has one? What benefit is there in having two or more fans when it seem one will do ?

OcUK Staff
I am thinking of buying the RX5500 when it comes out, given the predicted mid-price range. I notice that most cards these days have two or even three fans so how come the 5500 only has one? What benefit is there in having two or more fans when it seem one will do ?

Only thing coming is 5500 XT, you do realise its likely to be more than £200 as will be a 1660 Super competitor, unless you don't mind a 4G version ?

RX 590 is best buy by far!

Caporegime

It's a lower tier end GPU priced at mid range, I mean it's coming in at a price of polaris years after polaris yet almost exact same performance.

bru

bru

Soldato
The simple fact that NVidia have released the 1660 super and the 1650 super shows where the performance will be.
It will be the same with the price £200 is the bottom of that price bracket at the moment, we will have to see how things change once these cards actually arrive.

From the performance leaks we've seen so far it looks to around the 580/590 in performance, now we all know that AMD seem to like pushing things as far as they can, so I'm sure they will again if they can get close enough to their targets.

Permabanned
The simple fact that NVidia have released the 1660 super and the 1650 super shows where the performance will be.
It will be the same with the price £200 is the bottom of that price bracket at the moment, we will have to see how things change once these cards actually arrive.

From the performance leaks we've seen so far it looks to around the 580/590 in performance, now we all know that AMD seem to like pushing things as far as they can, so I'm sure they will again if they can get close enough to their targets.

If RX 5500 is 4GB of VRAM, it's more likely DOA than not.
nvidia released 4GB 1650S and 6GB 1660S with production cost considerations/its own profit maximization, while dismissing to a large extent the needs of the consumers/the trends of the gaming industry as a whole.
What I mean, look at the pathetic performance of the 3GB/6GB 1060 and 4GB RX 570 in one new game which shows where the upcoming games will be, too:

Performance-analysis-1.png

Performance-analysis-2.png

bru

bru

Soldato
nvidia released 4GB 1650S and 6GB 1660S with production cost considerations/its own profit maximization, while dismissing to a large extent the needs of the consumers/the trends of the gaming industry as a whole.
What I mean, look at the pathetic performance of the 3GB/6GB 1060 and 4GB RX 570 in one new game which shows where the upcoming games will be, too:

Nice cherry picking there.

From the same review.

reddead1080p.jpg

But I do agree somewhat that 3/4GB is certainly going to be limiting heading forward, although these cards wouldn't be powerful enough to play at ultra setting anyway, making the Vram requirements a moot point.

OcUK Staff

There shall be 8G versions.

Permabanned
There shall be 8G versions.

Better they release some. Techpowerup says "AMD has placed 4,096 MB GDDR6 memory on the card" https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-5500.c3459

But even if it will have 8GB, it has other major problems - high price and presence of an additional 8-pin power connector. If they optimise the binning and the clocks, so they remove the 8-pin power connector and leave the card live only with the PCIe slot, things might look competitive for them.
Right now, I don't see any hope in that card.

Soldato
The rx5500 is poorly designed and inefficient. Fine the 3 benchmarks I looked at today it looks 50% slower than. The 5700 BUT it only uses 30% less power.

Back
Top Bottom