• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT & Radeon RX 5500 7nm Navi 14 GPUs Unveiled

Soldato
The rx5500 is poorly designed and inefficient. Fine the 3 benchmarks I looked at today it looks 50% slower than. The 5700 BUT it only uses 30% less power.
And yet nobody has an issue with 9900K sucking down a bazillion watts, and Turing at full chat doesn't exactly sip power either. Isn't the power usage argument really tired now? Why do Intel and Nvidia get a pass, but it's always a big deal for AMD?

Permabanned
nvidia completely dominates and leads the performance per watt charts https://www.techpowerup.com/review/sapphire-radeon-rx-5700-xt-nitro-special-edition/29.html
Performance per watt is extremely important because it means cards with less cooling requirements, less noise, less operating costs for the owners.

This is exactly why users prefer nvidia and it has >70% market share.

AMD is focusing on maximising the profits but they won't get much if they sell only few of these. Nobody is going to like the card, and it will have poor sales.
This is the wrong strategy for AMD.

Caporegime
And yet nobody has an issue with 9900K sucking down a bazillion watts, and Turing at full chat doesn't exactly sip power either. Isn't the power usage argument really tired now? Why do Intel and Nvidia get a pass, but it's always a big deal for AMD?

Comparing AMD products to AMD products, not sure why Intel and Nvidia need bringing it, although it's complete ignorance what you're saying anyway because I don't really recall Intel getting an easy time of things (Not that they should be when AMD are leading the way at the moment)

Logically AMD has pushed the 5500 as far as they can which is shown in the efficiency if the numbers are accurate, they've done that so the product can occupy a price point it probably shouldn't be at.

Soldato
Comparing AMD products to AMD products, not sure why Intel and Nvidia need bringing it
Because it is a perpetual negative point in every Radeon discussion that just never comes up with any other vendor.

"9900K is the best gaming CPU!"
"But it uses 400W to get there..."
"Doesn't matter, 9900K is the best gaming CPU!"

compared with (excuse the hyperbole)

"5500 is going to crush every other 1080p gaming card"
"But it uses 250W to get there..."
"Oh yeah, AMD are **** then"

Every. Single. Time.

Caporegime
Because it is a perpetual negative point in every Radeon discussion that just never comes up with any other vendor.

Every. Single. Time.

There is a difference with being the best gaming CPU and a GPU being best "in class" (Not that the 5500 is looking like it can claim that).

Permabanned
There is a difference with being the best gaming CPU and a GPU being best "in class" (Not that the 5500 is looking like it can claim that).

This particular 110W card should be an OCed version released and sold later after some proper base version with 75W TDP and no power connectors.
Base version for 120ish pounds, while the OCed version for 159-ish pounds...

Soldato

Dunno what's forums you've been reading but many many many people take every opportunity to take a dump on the 9900k and Intels hedt for their power draw and heat

An overclocked 2080ti can pull a decent chunk but it's also far more powerful compared to low power cards it's not like you can get similiar performance with less watts anywhere that's why Nvidia gets a pass. Intel doesn't get a pass because you can get the same performance for less Watts with AMD.

I would have thought people in the UK would like less efficient hardware though since it will help with the cold rainy weather you have over there ;) surprised everyone in the UK doesn't run a overclocked 10980xe and overclocked Vega 64

Last edited:
Soldato
Stories now showing up as the xt is just overclocked and maybe with 8gb. Sad state of affairs.

Media outlets seem to be quoting each other and the 200 dollar expected price. There is surely no way that would be that dumb to price it that high. Right.. right?

Last edited:
Soldato
High end cards are so dull and boring, this end of the market is much better and IMHO more exciting to see just how much performance you can get from a low priced card, with efficiency only playing second fiddle.

I am really looking forward to seeing the data for the 5500XT and the rumoured 5600XT, alongside the pricing. I know AMD have been very aggressive with the RX580 and RX590 recently and having a card that is slightly faster with a lower cost would be ideal, especially since the power draw will likely be quite a bit lower.

If they push them out slower than and RX590 and at s higher price, I've no idea how they'd expect to sell then

Soldato
am really looking forward to seeing the data for the 5500XT and the rumoured 5600XT, alongside the pricing.

If they push them out slower than and RX590 and at s higher price, I've no idea how they'd expect to sell then

For 5500 it's looking close to 590 in terms of performance, at half the power draw, BUT with half the vram. Probably comparable pricing as well. Looks very very lame imo. I don't hate anything more in the graphics space today than I do the gimping of vram (and bandwidth) - by both teams.

OcUK Staff
High end cards are so dull and boring, this end of the market is much better and IMHO more exciting to see just how much performance you can get from a low priced card, with efficiency only playing second fiddle.

I am really looking forward to seeing the data for the 5500XT and the rumoured 5600XT, alongside the pricing. I know AMD have been very aggressive with the RX580 and RX590 recently and having a card that is slightly faster with a lower cost would be ideal, especially since the power draw will likely be quite a bit lower.

RX 590 is EOL and has being heavily funded by AMD and sold by partners at a loss, the current 590 pricing is not normal as per any end of life part that is being dumped and clear, it’s a part that generally carries a $200 price tag minimum but places like us have set new standards by selling it as low as £149 a price so low we moved over 500 in a weekend and all to consumers no trade orders.

The pricing being hinted for new cards is clearly a rouse by AMD to throw of NVIDIA same game they’ve being playing for years I full expect it to get a last minute price adjustment as per the usual for GPU launches and it be priced competively against whichever NVIDIA it goes up against which will no doubt be somewhere between 1650 Super to 1660 judging by its specification.

Yes there is both 4G and 8G variations.

I suspect 590 to still be the faster product but albeit higher power draw and a similar or slightly lower price and thus making it the cars to buy whilst stock last at which point cards like 570, 580 and 590 will simply cease to exist and into Q2 of 2020 there shall only be 5300 for OEMs and 5500 / 5600 for mainstreams along with 5700 for enthusiast and then no doubt late Summer aka Computex announcement of 5800 and maybe even a 5900 series or one of the two.

Soldato
1650 super similar perf for 150.. so yeah.... I can't see the 200 being true. Would be suicide for the 5500.

I liked pushing older efficient cards to heavy oc's with more volts. Always fun.

Still, hoping there is more to this than just ram and a clock.

Caporegime

Every. Single. Time.

I think if AMD bring out better GPU's that will change, look at how the CPU room has changed, people think AMD can do better and will soon'ish, i agree, people are giving them a hard time because they want to see AMD do better.

Back
Top Bottom