• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT & Radeon RX 5500 7nm Navi 14 GPUs Unveiled

Soldato
Polaris surely has to be considered a legendary architecture given the length of time it's hung around and remained relevant

you get the feeling AMD should have rolled out GDDR6 version of the card when Nvidia dropped the first GTX 16** cards , as well as been the first to tap 7nm Process before Zen2 production even in low numbers

Soldato
That would have been hilarious. But maybe the bandwidth increase wouldn't have helped that design much? Would have made a difficult sale of their upcoming 7nm cards as well.

I do very much agree with others though that by this point the performance to pound ratio should have substantially moved on. These cards still haven't reached the perf of a 1070. The orig 1650 showed just how much they were miking customers. The supers.. still amazed at the quick release of those. Nvidia would have struggled without them.and just goes to show how silly prices now are.

Associate
you get the feeling AMD should have rolled out GDDR6 version of the card when Nvidia dropped the first GTX 16** cards , as well as been the first to tap 7nm Process before Zen2 production even in low numbers

That wouldnt be a bad shout, however at full load the navi GPU's appear to be a lot less power hungry.

Soldato
The 5500xt 4GB looks like the only viable option right now if you are prepared to play with settings a bit in games. The Nvidia cards just seem so simplistic... Not much power control etc. Must be cheaper to make outside of the actual chip.

I still think they should have had 5500 and 5500 xt with full core compliment. Could have justified the price of the XT then to consumers. Right now, I'm actually looking at the 1660 super. Nvidia really did a number on AMD with these supers.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
reviews did pop up:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15206/the-amd-radeon-rx-5500-xt-review

I was ideally looking a cost effective non gaming 4gig card but AMD appear to forgotten that market all together or guess they can with do an 550 XT that is 4 years old.

Got a nice 75watt, no power connector Geforce 1650 no issue 4K x 2 @ 60fps and no dual screen high energy bugs like 5500XT or AMD cards in general, so can't complain, certainly not a perfect card would have liked no fan spin tech at least but AMD/Nvidia seem to skip and cut down these features on lower end cards oddly.

Soldato
First of all the graphics IP in the consoles gets updated during the lifecycle of the console.

Lol. It will still be AMD.

Second of all, no one nowhere promises that the next-gen consoles might be a success!

LOL. Yes massive success.

And third - it's really a pity to have this monopoly by AMD there, despite the fact that maybe it's good for their survival.

You were saying AMD needed to up their game in consoles, but then say they have a monopoly in console already..

I'm genuinely baffled by your original post and this follow up xD

Soldato
Best review I have seen so far. They use max settings on every game so the 8gb card clearly is ahead of the 1650 super and the 4gb 5500. (The super bests the 4gb btw). The 8gb doors very will it seems... But... At a big cost where you would just buy the 1660 super anyway.

This is like the Vega launch... But worse.

Last edited:
Soldato
In the US with a quick look:

Cheapest 5500 xt 8gb: 199
Cheapest 1660 Super: 209.

Why on earth would you pick a 5500xt 8gb at this price point? The 1660 super soo much better.

Prices need to come down for these 5500 xt 8gbs.

Soldato
In the US with a quick look:

Cheapest 5500 xt 8gb: 199
Cheapest 1660 Super: 209.

Why on earth would you pick a 5500xt 8gb at this price point? The 1660 super soo much better.

Prices need to come down for these 5500 xt 8gbs.

Different in the US though, cheapest 1660S in the UK is £199 Palit singe fan jobbie, and the cheapest 8GB RX 5500 XT is £179, but it is the far superior Powercolor Red Dragon with the free game promo.

Agree that it is still too expensive though, especially while the older Radeon cards are around. Perhaps they'll see all the negative press and reduce them in the new year when you can get stock.

Soldato
Different in the US though, cheapest 1660S in the UK is £199 Palit singe fan jobbie, and the cheapest 8GB RX 5500 XT is £179, but it is the far superior Powercolor Red Dragon with the free game promo.

Agree that it is still too expensive though, especially while the older Radeon cards are around. Perhaps they'll see all the negative press and reduce them in the new year when you can get stock.

They are definitely to overpriced as from what i was reading they were more to take on the 1650/1650 super. I think they will come down in price once the older Polaris cards are sold out. There is also a 5600/xt supposedly on the way aimed at the 1660 series so the pricing on these 5500's needs to come down to fit these in imo.

Back
Top Bottom