• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD RX 3000 series

Associate
Not bothered reading the whole thread but general jist is we cant expect good prices...because were all getting conditioned to get ripped off.

Im sure 4870 was sub £200 and the 4870x2 i bought for around £339 at launch destroying everything. Yes lets take some inflation into account ill give you that but is the technology now much more expensive than the technology used then? Maybe it is, i really don't know but i dont believe for a second we arent all getting bent over more by greed. If no one bought the Titan at £1000 then nvidia would never of released the RTX2080ti at £1000+.

Merry Christmas all :)

Associate

So they're saying they need to shift inventory for the first 6 months of 2019. 570 and 590 prices are going to continue to drop to shift them. It makes sense to bring the 3080 and 3070 first and price them over £250-£400 where as all 500 series will go sub £200. And then introduce the 3060 when all the stock has shifted. Starts to make sense

Soldato
So they're saying they need to shift inventory for the first 6 months of 2019. 570 and 590 prices are going to continue to drop to shift them. It makes sense to bring the 3080 and 3070 first and price them over £250-£400 where as all 500 series will go sub £200. And then introduce the 3060 when all the stock has shifted. Starts to make sense

You can clear shipped inventory a few ways. It's just a numbers game.

Soldato
Exactly. Yet some on here buy the latest card and keep feeding the dragon which ruins things for the rest of us. Why would Nvidia drop prices when they see people buying the cards no matter what price nvidia charge?

Nvidia need to cement a spot at the uber high-end, the problem is they can't seem to offer the performance deserving of the price.

Associate
Not bothered reading the whole thread but general jist is we cant expect good prices...because were all getting conditioned to get ripped off.

Im sure 4870 was sub £200 and the 4870x2 i bought for around £339 at launch destroying everything. Yes lets take some inflation into account ill give you that but is the technology now much more expensive than the technology used then? Maybe it is, i really don't know but i dont believe for a second we arent all getting bent over more by greed. If no one bought the Titan at £1000 then nvidia would never of released the RTX2080ti at £1000+.

Merry Christmas all :)

I just read the whole thread to find if anyone had mentioned this haha

See here:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/2556/2

This is exactly what happened before 10 years ago. Nvidia are using a lot of die space on tensor cores/rtx. If AMD doesn't have those features they should hopefully have a much smaller die.

4850 was $199
4870 was $299
GTX 280 was released at $649 and then cut to $399 (!!) - it also had a much larger die than 4870/50.

https://gizmodo.com/5024873/top-end-nvidia-geforce-gtx-280-260-graphics-cards-get-huge-price-cut

I can see this happening again.

Associate
As long as the price is sane I'll be getting the next top AMD GPU as a decent upgrade for my 980 ti. However, my worry is that the RX3080 will be released then Vega 2 will show up a few months later.

Navi looks like a polaris replacement, so will there still be high end vega cards? If these really are ~£300 GPUs then AMD could easily release a £500 vega 2 if they have the hardware.

Associate
As long as the price is sane I'll be getting the next top AMD GPU as a decent upgrade for my 980 ti. However, my worry is that the RX3080 will be released then Vega 2 will show up a few months later.

Navi looks like a polaris replacement, so will there still be high end vega cards? If these really are ~£300 GPUs then AMD could easily release a £500 vega 2 if they have the hardware.

I'm not sure 7nm Navi Vega is coming, the below thread would indicate not, but if it is you should know about it by the time the 3080 is released

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/is-7nm-vega-on-the-way-for-gaming.18839997/

Associate
Soldato
Towards the end of the Adored video he mentioned his leaker stating that 7nm Vega was seriously considered by cancelled late on as navi would be similar or something?
The rumour i heard was that they couldn't compete with the RTX 2080ti so they are going to focus on the midrange/price-to-performance.

I don't know if that is true but it would make sense. The last thing you want is to try and compete with the high end fail and then having the press calling the entire product stack a failure because the top end didn't do so well.

Soldato

Surely it's a complete reset? Those Navi leaks indicate it'll replace Polaris and Vega. And if the 3080 really is Vega 64 + 15% then there can't be an actual 7nm Vega gaming card because 7nm Vega is also Vega 64 + 15%, all the new stuff in Vega 20 Instinct is datacenter number crunching hardware.

The rumour i heard was that they couldn't compete with the RTX 2080ti so they are going to focus on the midrange/price-to-performance.

It's hardly a rumour when AMD themselves said Navi will be targeted at the mid-range market. AMD are not trying to compete with the 2080 Ti right now, that'll come with Arcturus in 2020 which is a brand new architecture, not a rehash of GCN.

Soldato
If Navi are small diamond shaped dies (IE you get loads from a wafer) then this could be true.

I have seen a lot of people say that there is no way that AMD can make a small card as fast as the 1080, but they did just that with Polaris, targeting the 980 and 970. It (Polaris) was also £200-£250, cheaper than most second hand 980 and 970s at the time.

So to me? it all sounds perfectly reasonable. If any one will hike the price it won't be AMD *gives glaring hamster stare*.

Just because AMD haven't really done anything new since Polaris (Vega was just shrunken Fury, right?) it doesn't mean Navi will be crap or expensive. Also, because Vega was so poor Nvidia have scaled back and slowed down. Look how long the 1080 has been on the shelves, at exactly the same price it launched at. No competition, see.

As for what will really happen? no one knows. Navi is a new tech, IIRC.

Any way, aside from all of the performance and price metrics I must say I do find this whole "scaleable" thing intriguing. Can AMD link GPUs using some sort of IF? that is what I find the most interesting. Could we do away with Crossfire and simply add more dies to add more performance? that could be a game changer.

Soldato

After watching AdoredTV's latest video I wouldn't expect any consumer Vega 2's to come out but a high end 250 watt Navi is certainly feasible by the looks of things.

Soldato

I don't know if that is true but it would make sense. The last thing you want is to try and compete with the high end fail and then having the press calling the entire product stack a failure because the top end didn't do so well.

But there's no point in competing with the 2080ti really, it's far to over-priced a GPU for most gamers. Vega performance is still more than enough for any game.

Associate
But there's no point in competing with the 2080ti really, it's far to over-priced a GPU for most gamers. Vega performance is still more than enough for any game.
2080ti is still the sweet spot for 1440p 144hz and 4k gaming. You can’t go past 100fps with the 2080 or any card below it in any demanding game. The price is the only issue of the 2080ti.

Soldato

AMD need to stop making tank dies. Nvidia touted the 7970 as AMD's Fermi and they have loyally stuck by it ever since, which was really daft. They should have taken a leaf out of Nvidia's book and made small highly clocked cheap dies and made money.

Which is what seems to be happening now, just as Nvidia have gone back to the tanks. And that could backfire, because RT is still in its infancy and could take years to mature.

Mind you it doesn't stop them making bread and butter cards as well I guess. I just hope AMD focus more on products like Polaris, as they smashed the mid range up with those.

Soldato
2080ti is still the sweet spot for 1440p 144hz and 4k gaming. You can’t go past 100fps with the 2080 or any card below it in any demanding game. The price is the only issue of the 2080ti.

Exactly, just as Hawaii was expensive to manufacture against a laptop chip Gm204, Polaris was delayed but was to be a cheaper to manufacture Hawaii replacement.

The same applies to Vega, it was very expensive to manufacture against a Gp104 laptop chip. Navi will be a cheaper to manufacture Vega replacement.

Regardless of what Nvidia have for their tiered pricing, some Amd defence team members still think Vega was competitive against Gp104 just by using the fps metric, ignoring delayed time to market, supply issues, expense to manufacture and that Vega56/64 did not sell in mobile, unlike nvidia's Gp104.

Edit v56/64

OcUK Staff
Exactly, just as Hawaii was expensive to manufacture against a laptop chip Gm204, Polaris was delayed but was to be a cheaper to manufacture Hawaii replacement.

The same applies to Vega, it was very expensive to manufacture against a Gp104 laptop chip. Navi will be a cheaper to manufacture Vega replacement.

Regardless of what Nvidia have for their tiered pricing, some Amd defence team members still think Vega was competitive against Gp104 just by using the fps metric, ignoring delayed time to market, supply issues, expense to manufacture and that Vega56/64 did not sell in mobile, unlike nvidia's Gp104.

Edit v56/64

But right now VEGA is our best selling product, the mainstream buyer is not spending over £500 full stop and with 1080 and 1080Ti totally gone, there is a huge gap in the market which VEGA has stepped up and taken with a bang, particular with prices we have done with 56 around £300 and 64 around £400, they are pretty untouchable right now.

Were selling way more AMD on GPU in November and December. :)

But on the flip side were selling more Intel CPU compared to AMD CPU, because of 9th gen.

Back
Top Bottom