• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***** AMD RX 7900 SERIES AVAILABLE & IN STOCK TODAY FROM 2PM ****(BACK ORDER UPDATES WITHIN THIS THREAD)*

Associate
UPDATE:

SAPPHIRE 7900 XTX NITRO: 200PC SHIPPED ON 24TH - DUE WITH US END OF THIS WEEK! ANOTHER 190PC IS ALSO SHIPPING TOMORROW, DUE NEXT WEEK! AROUND 250 UNITS PRE-SOLD SO ALL WILL BE FULFILLED AROUND FIRST WEEK JANUARY AS PROMISED!

POWERCOLOR 7900 XTX DEVIL: 200PC DUE TO SHIP END OF THIS WEEK, ETA TO US 7-10 DAYS, WILL COVER ALL BACKORDERS WHICH IS AROUND 120PC

SAPPHIRE 7900 XTX MBA: 20-40PC DUE IN NEXT 3-5 DAYS!

SAPPHIRE 7900 XTX PULSE: NO ETA YET!

POWERCOLOR 7900 XTX HELLHOUND: SHOULD SHIP FIRST WEEK JANUARY (200PC) DUE WITH US 7-10 DAYS LATER!

I am still on leave but though this update would be appreciated. :)

I got a surprise this afternoon when I got a shipped message for my Sapphire 7900 XTX Nitro order!

Soldato
I'm getting really tempted to buy a 7900 (probably XT) for my 2nd system (got a new system ordered with a 4090).
I know I shouldn't bother, it's too much money. Plus I've had issues with my FuryX cards and with my Vega 64 LC so I'm now nervous I'd have issues with one of these cards too.

But there's that bit of me that still wants one...

Stupid FOMO...

Caporegime
I'm getting really tempted to buy a 7900 (probably XT) for my 2nd system (got a new system ordered with a 4090).
I know I shouldn't bother, it's too much money. Plus I've had issues with my FuryX cards and with my Vega 64 LC so I'm now nervous I'd have issues with one of these cards too.

Stupid FOMO...
I had you down as more of an XTX man Googaly.

OcUK Staff
OP

Stupid FOMO...

Pulse XT now in stock! :D

Caporegime
That's not a bad price (you know, within context).
I had a Vega 56 Pulse. Had issues with that one too.

Seriously, why am I still considering this, I seem to have no luck with AMD cards!

It might be a bit wasted though, it'd be going in an i7 8700K machine.
I do remember you always having issues to be fair. However, you seem gluten for punishment so push the boat out and get an XTX. Live fast, die young (and broke).

Last edited:
Caporegime
On a serious note, I do feel that with the increased price gap with the 3rd party cards, the 7900 XT might make a bit more sense than it did with the reference cards. Would you agree?
The cooler is able to handle the lower TDP a lot easier on the XT, whereas the XTX MBA card has to ramp the fan speed higher to keep it cool once you go above the default power limit of 355W.

Last edited:
Soldato
The cooler is able to handle the lower TDP a lot easier on the XT, whereas the XTX MBA card has to ramp the fan speed higher to keep it cool once you go above the default power limit of 355W.
Doesn't that widen the price gap even further then, if you can get a 7900 XT for under £900 but the 3rd party XTXs are over £1100?
With a £100 price difference the XT looked too expensive but if the price gap is over £200, maybe the XT does have a place?

Soldato
OK, so looking for a card for 4K gaming. It's a 144Hz so I'd at least like to be heading in that direction in as many games as possible (i.e. not really wanting a card that does 60-ish fps at 4K). I appreciate there's probably no card that can do 144fps in all games with top settings.

Now I know the obvious answer would probably be a 4090, but let's go cheaper than that. I'm expecting it'll be paired with a 8700K CPU which is only PCIe 3.0, but I'm under the impression that will make minimal difference with the currently available cards.

I think I've basically narrowed it down to a 6800 XT, a 6900 XT or if I want to go Nvidia, a 3080.
The one other card I'm considering (and the reason I'm asking in this thread) is a 7900 XT. I'm sure the XTX is a nicer card and probably better performance/£, but they're not in stock and they're over £1100 which puts you into 4080 territory and I don't want to go there.
So I'm basically looking at the cheaper end of the 7900 XT range, which is the two Sapphire cards, the Pulse and the MBA card. I think I'm leaning towards the Pulse out of the 2 as the MBA cooler worries me with the number of cards that seem to have bad contact leading to high temps.

So my question is, is the 7900 XT really worth the extra over the other options given the resolution & framerate (4K @ >60 fps), the CPU (8700K) and the fact that it's PCIe 3.0?
While I'm sure the 6800 XT and 6900 XT are nice cards (I'm a bit out of touch and that generation passed me by) I do wonder if they're still worth buying now the 7900s are out?

Associate
OK, so looking for a card for 4K gaming. It's a 144Hz so I'd at least like to be heading in that direction in as many games as possible (i.e. not really wanting a card that does 60-ish fps at 4K). I appreciate there's probably no card that can do 144fps in all games with top settings.

Now I know the obvious answer would probably be a 4090, but let's go cheaper than that. I'm expecting it'll be paired with a 8700K CPU which is only PCIe 3.0, but I'm under the impression that will make minimal difference with the currently available cards.

I think I've basically narrowed it down to a 6800 XT, a 6900 XT or if I want to go Nvidia, a 3080.
The one other card I'm considering (and the reason I'm asking in this thread) is a 7900 XT. I'm sure the XTX is a nicer card and probably better performance/£, but they're not in stock and they're over £1100 which puts you into 4080 territory and I don't want to go there.
So I'm basically looking at the cheaper end of the 7900 XT range, which is the two Sapphire cards, the Pulse and the MBA card. I think I'm leaning towards the Pulse out of the 2 as the MBA cooler worries me with the number of cards that seem to have bad contact leading to high temps.

So my question is, is the 7900 XT really worth the extra over the other options given the resolution & framerate (4K @ >60 fps), the CPU (8700K) and the fact that it's PCIe 3.0?
While I'm sure the 6800 XT and 6900 XT are nice cards (I'm a bit out of touch and that generation passed me by) I do wonder if they're still worth buying now the 7900s are out?
Might want to wait and see where the 4070TI slots in on price. Can’t help but think prices will drop on other cards within afew months also.

Back
Top Bottom